Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

MWick94 wrote: »
    I just checked mine, and it has the same issue where it says Fuinneamh and it only has 62 tracks. But I checked the content and it did match up to the content in the book, so it may just be a mistake with iTunes.

Make sure you listen beyond the first 5 tracks - they're the same in both books! Mine is definitely the Fuinneamh disc :( EdCo never replied to my email either...hrmph.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

DarkDusk wrote: »
    Anyone know what the new Project Maths book (honours) looks like? I won't see mine 'till the first day since we rent our books.. Does it look manageable/hard etc.? I love maths but I hope this new course doesn't ruin it for me.:(

Also, what subject are you most looking forward to and least looking forward to? For me, I'd say I'm looking forward to Physics because it's so interesting but I'm dreading English because of the enormous of amount of writing honours students get for homework.. In 6th year, one of the teachers in our school was giving 8 A4's a night!:eek: And no, I'm not lying it's actually true.:(

I have the one for Strands 1 and 2 and used it in TY (We did nearly all of Strand 1) and like it's fine. More content than the old course books but like statistics and probability anyway were manageable enough.

Though I think we're getting screwed over with the books...I have New Concise Maths 4, 5 and the 4&5 supplement for Strands 1&2. Now they're releasing 'New Concise Project Maths 4' to be followed by 'New Concise Project Maths 5'...I'm just hoping they'll release a book that's just Strands 3&4 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

In my school there's like only 16 people doing tY because loads dropped out to go into 5th year instead :P

There'll probably be load of 5th years comin into ty once school starts,there is 8 vacant places after all! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MWick94

MegGustaa wrote: »
    Make sure you listen beyond the first 5 tracks - they're the same in both books! Mine is definitely the Fuinneamh disc :( EdCo never replied to my email either...hrmph.

I listened to the whole cd, and it matches up. The first 5 tracks are poems, then it skips to the oral section like it's supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

MegGustaa wrote: »
    I have the one for Strands 1 and 2 and used it in TY (We did nearly all of Strand 1) and like it's fine. More content than the old course books but like statistics and probability anyway were manageable enough.

Though I think we're getting screwed over with the books...I have New Concise Maths 4, 5 and the 4&5 supplement for Strands 1&2. Now they're releasing 'New Concise Project Maths 4' to be followed by 'New Concise Project Maths 5'...I'm just hoping they'll release a book that's just Strands 3&4 :/

Thanks for the info. All these maths books are making me confused! Well, at least I don't have to worry about buying them, I'll leave the school to do that...:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

All this book malarky :p thank god I only rent mine !

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

MGMTea wrote: »
    All this book malarky :p thank god I only rent mine !

ditto:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Back in tomorrow:(:(:(:(:(:(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I feel for all you in this week! At least I'm not in til next week although the thoughts of it are horrible!
    Out of all my books I think I had to get 4 new plus Active Maths to buy. That's around €100! I have a few from my brothers and sister and only one was bought second hand (others were new/had to be new/couldn't get second hand). I mean the cost of school is actually terrible! (Yes I realise I sound old :p) I got some of my uniform (last one I got was in 1st year) and that was a jumper, 1 shirt and trousers and that was around €120. Not even a full uniform!
    Eep. Better start getting up early/going to bed early :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I'm in tomorrow...not one bit tired but I'll survive, I suppose.

I feel old now. :p First day of Leaving Cert, big step lads. Big step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I hate feeling old.. I'm one of those people who hates getting older.. I'm dreading my 16th birthday :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

We drove by my school (which is in the middle of having an extension built along with some other stuff) earlier on today and I noticed that the hockey pitch which had been converted into a temporary carpark at the end of lats yea has now got a whole load of prefabs on it. Apparently they have lockers in them or something but all I can say is I'm hoping we're not going to have to be the ones who have to traipse in and out of the school building (including up and down a flight of stairs) 6 times a day in the lashing rain and snowy weather.....

We've to go in tomorrow morning to pay "voluntery contributions" so I plan on taking my time when walking past them in order to get a good gawk in the windows.....

God I'm nosy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Slow Show wrote: »
    I'm in tomorrow...not one bit tired but I'll survive, I suppose.

I feel old now. :p First day of Leaving Cert, big step lads. Big step.

My Emmerz taking her first big steps in the senior cycle <3

I remember when you were a 2nd year :')

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I see I know a few of ye here from JC 2010, and there are some new faces around as well. Great :)

I'm Jack, 17 from Limerick, and I've just finished TY. I'm into computers and tech in general, especially photography. And I've wasted the last 3 days of my life searching in vain for a touchpad. :(

Oh, and I'm back Tuesday I think. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

deise_girl wrote: »

Well Séan :pac:

Well Séan :pac:

Howiya! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Omg can't wait to do my EL-SEE. Buzzzzin'.

>>
    <<

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Do ye think I can change my subject choices at the start of 5th year? Or am I stuck with them? Really want to change DCG to biology

Btw, hi :p

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MWick94

I feel for all you in this week! At least I'm not in til next week although the thoughts of it are horrible!
    Out of all my books I think I had to get 4 new plus Active Maths to buy. That's around €100! I have a few from my brothers and sister and only one was bought second hand (others were new/had to be new/couldn't get second hand). I mean the cost of school is actually terrible! (Yes I realise I sound old :p) I got some of my uniform (last one I got was in 1st year) and that was a jumper, 1 shirt and trousers and that was around €120. Not even a full uniform!
    Eep. Better start getting up early/going to bed early :/

I had to get 4 new books, which cost about €125! And I still have to get more, but the teachers haven't decided which books we need to get yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

fjsanchez wrote: »
    Do ye think I can change my subject choices at the start of 5th year? Or am I stuck with them? Really want to change DCG to biology

Hi :pac:

I'd say you could change no problem, if you said it within the first week, I couldn't see why it would be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

fjsanchez wrote: »

Hi :)

In my school unfortunately they warned us that once we had picked our subjects we would most likely be stuck with them unless the class we wanted to move to had a space or if we could find somebody to switch with. If you were in my school you would have no chance of moving to Biology as all the biology classes had over 25 people in them!

Has everyone managed to get the Active Maths 4 higher level leaving cert book? All the book shops I've went to haven't stocked it yet!

Btw everyone, I'm Martina and I am 16 (I believe I never got around to introducing myself!). I just finished TY and I am looking forward to getting back to doing some work for a change - by the end of next week I'll probably be saying the exact opposite :D

Well today was depressing...

I have 6 people in my Applied Maths class, about 8 in my Economics class and a max of 10 in my Physics class.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

I wish there were that few people in my classes. In my Biology there is just under 30 and my music, and french is about the same. My physics is the smallest at around 15, I think and I am taking App. Maths as an extra in the Institute so no idea what the class sizes are like there.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

decisions wrote: »

I have 6 people in my Applied Maths class, about 8 in my Economics class and a max of 10 in my Physics class.

Were not starting til Wednesday but I know theres only 6 people in our physics class because the vice told us the last day of school!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Small classes ftw! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

MWick94 wrote: »
    I had to get 4 new books, which cost about €125! And I still have to get more, but the teachers haven't decided which books we need to get yet.
    Of the 13 books I needed, 12 had to be new, costing a grand total of €258.

Applied Maths didn't run in my school because they needed 8 to opt for it and only 7 did. So I shouldn't have any small classes like that. I'd probably prefer a small to a big class tbh.

Only have 2 of my books so far the rest 'are to be decided in September'

#300 already :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 multivitamin

I kept on:
    Maths(HL)
    English(HL)
    French(HL)
    Geography(HL, but I might drop down... I'll see.)
    Physics(HL)
    Applied Maths(HL)
    Art(HL)

Ghosh hope it won't be too hard!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement