Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

ray2012 wrote: »
    does anyone have that HORRIBLE feeling that when they go into their Irish Paper 1 exam, and see the essay titles, they won't understand ANY of them? If that happened to me, I'd die in my seat.
    If it hel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

does anyone have that HORRIBLE feeling that when they go into their Irish Paper 1 exam, and see the essay titles, they won't understand ANY of them? If that happened to me, I'd die in my seat.
    If it helps my grinds teacher told us one of the essay could be the environment this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Does anyone use a study timetable? I made one at the start of the year but don't always stick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

What do all of ye learn for the essay .. We aren't starting till after the mocks and I want to try do it myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

David1994 wrote: »
    Does anyone use a study timetable? I made one at the start of the year but don't always stick to it.

I've made 3 or 4, haven't stuck to any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I make study timetables when I don't want to study tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

When I have a test I study for, or work not due for a few days, either my room becomes very tidy / I re organise my notes / I make a study timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Slow Show wrote: »
    I make study timetables when I don't want to study tbh.
    My Chemistry and Physics teacher gives us a timetable at the start of each month of a chapter a week to revise with a test at the end of each month on them. Ion't stick to the timetable, and generally just do it all the night before, but by the end, I have to have at least looked over it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

If it helps my grinds teacher told us one of the essay could be the environment this year!

what even is environment in Irish ? :O Planning to do an essay on it sometime, but haven't done yet..!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

what even is environment in Irish ? :O Planning to do an essay on it sometime, but haven't done yet..!

Timpeallacht or Comhshaol :) I did an essay on that a while ago if memory serves me correctly. My teacher thinks Bullying, particularly in relation to technology could be a possibility this year, especially with all the cyber bullying related suicides in young people at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Timpeallacht or Comhshaol :) I did an essay on that a while ago if memory serves me correctly. My teacher thinks Bullying, particularly in relation to technology could be a possibility this year, especially with all the cyber bullying related suicides in young people at the moment.

Never heard of either of those two words in my life ! Yeah, we did all the disadvantages (eg. bullying) of the internet and cyberbullying and all that, think that may come up!

Is anyone else struggling to pick which course they want to do? I'm STUCK between choosing Applied Languages in DCU, and Science in NUIG ... I know i've a long time yet to think about it, but I've been thinking about which one i'd prefer for the last 3/4 months... Just can't choose..

Never heard of either of those two words in my life ! Yeah, we did all the disadvantages (eg. bullying) of the internet and cyberbullying and all that, think that may come up!

Is anyone else struggling to pick which course they want to do? I'm STUCK between choosing Applied Languages in DCU, and Science in NUIG ... I know i've a long time yet to think about it, but I've been thinking about which one i'd prefer for the last 3/4 months... Just can't choose..

Yeah, we're starting that topic after the exams this week :)

Tell me about it, the more I think about choosing a course the more confused I get. One minute, it's Music Performance in the Royal Irish Academy, next minute it's Music with Irish in Trinity. Even when Ive made my choices, I can see myself switching the order of preference about 20 times between the closing date of the CAO and July. Hopefully the open days will help me make a decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Why doesn't this forum have a Pop Quiz thread like the JC one? It looks like a good idea..

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

0mega wrote: »
    Why doesn't this forum have a Pop Quiz thread like the JC one? It looks like a good idea..

I like the idea of that, it'd make it easier to convince myself I'm being productive in this. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Dinner eaten.........now back to work. The joys.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

DAMN! I promised myself only 30 minutes online, 2 and a half hours later I'm still online! STUPID INTERNET!!!!!!!:mad:

I'm only kidding with you internet :p , you know I love you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Why do I do this to myself every Sunday?

English exam tomorrow, and already relying on predictions for what poets are going to be on it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Hey guys, I'm revising co-ordinate geometry at the moment and anyway there's a question in my book asking me to find the circumcentre and orthocentre of a triangle giving me a few points. I'm not asking anyone to work it out, I'm just asking anyone who's done geometry whether this is on the geometry part of the course too? I mean I could draw them all out on the plane but it somehow doesn't feel like I should. I've figured out the circumcentre myself using basic co-ord geometry techniques but I can't figure out how to do the same with the orthocentre. And I definitely don't remember my teacher doing these, I remember like the centroid and brief descriptions of what these things are but that's the extent of it. The odd thing is I have the questions circled from before so it looks like I really did do them at some point. Really odd tbh. :confused: But yeah those terms feel very geometry-y, so can I just forget all about it until we do geometry? Otherwise I'll just be annoyed at myself for not getting it. :p

Anyone else looking forward to Im a celebrity, get me out of here!! :) Probably a bad idea to start watching it when i need to study but sure ah well!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Anyone else looking forward to Im a celebrity, get me out of here!! :) Probably a bad idea to start watching it when i need to study but sure ah well!! :)
    Yea. I'm such a sucker for those kind of programmes. The countdown is on, 15 minutes to go until all my evenings for the next ages are ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Oh no. I hate those shows but hope you have fun watching anyway. Think I'll stick to the sopranos,breaking bad,walking dead and game of thrones. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I demand to have the 3000th post on this thread! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Think I'll stick to the sopranos,breaking bad,walking dead and game of thrones. :)

I love the walking dead !! did you see the latest one out in America ?

To make if feel like i did some thing productive over the weekend im gonna watch Macbeth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

I love the walking dead !! did you see the latest one out in America ?

Haven't finished season 2 yet. Finishing the sopranos first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Anyone know how to do this?

Prove by induction that for any N , the sum of the first N natural numbers is n(n+1)/2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Prove by induction that for any N , the sum of the first N natural numbers is n(n+1)/2
    Prove true for n=1 and then assume true for n=k. Next substitute k+1 in. Then basically you just need to tidy it up to make it work. I would do it out but I'm so tired (hope I haven't made a mistake here, it's been a while since we've done induction).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

Okay, Test P(1) , Assume P(k) and prove P(k+1) by letting LHS = RHS.

P(n) = 1+2+3...+n = n(n+1)/2

P(1) = 1 = 1(1+1)/2 = 1 hence, P(1) is true, we can proceed.

P(k) = 1+2+3...+k = k(k+1)/2 .... assume true.

P(k+1) = 1+2+3....+k+(k+1) = (k+1)(k+1+1)/2 ...part in bold is P(k)

= k(k+1)/2 +k+1 = (k+1)(k+2)/2

= (k^2+k)/2 + 2k+2/2

= k^2 +3k +2/2

= (k+1)(k+2)/2 .... factorizing

=> P(k+1) is true because RHS = LHS

=> P(k) is true

=> P(n) is true for all N by principle of mathematical induction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

And that's taking post 3000 deservedly :L

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement