Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Captain Hman

Thanks for the info,

I'd like to apply for cadetship but they'll take people who have degrees and have been in the reserves more then
    people with just a leaving cert and the 3 honors in higher levels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Since this is off topic might as well state that I am finally going to study tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I believe you :P, Ive been telling myself that since Sept 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

decisions wrote: »
    StumbleUpon + 8tracks throws up some cool stuff: Reclaim Your Mind

Ahh, I absolutely ADORE 8tracks though. http://8tracks.com/eranmane/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Hi guys debs are in august, just wondering when is it suitable to ask someone to go with. don't want to be to early :PAC:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Hi guys debs are in august, just wondering when is it suitable to ask someone to go with. don't want to be to early :PAC:

it's way too early to be thinking of that already! Maybe at the beginning of Summer, like in June.. ? :cool:

Trying to study a debate on abortion for tomorrow.. (did I mention it's for Irish? -__- ) .. Really tough debate question with a load of new vocab and stuff.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

We're starting an extra maths class after school every Thursday from tomorrow. I dont mind the extra maths really but it's just the thought of having to stay in for longer that's killing me. :(

Are any of ye doing extra classes in anything? Both of our HL and 1 of out OL maths classed are at them now.
    Since the start of 6th year we have been doing an extra maths after school every Thursday. Also have an extra Irish class, solely on oral work before school on Thursdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Since the start of 6th year we have been doing an extra maths after school every Thursday. Also have an extra Irish class, solely on oral work before school on Thursdays.
    Thursdays must be horrible so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Jackobyte wrote: »

:eek:

Nothing is that important!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Random question (after all this is off-topic) but does anyone have art exam papers (I know you can them online but I can't get what I'm looking for)

• Advertisement

Where do ye get your notes for the essays in hl Irish .. For example to do an essay on abortion etc or does your teacher give then out cause we haven't done any essays at all! And my teacher says we aren't doing the till after the mocks !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Where do ye get your notes for the essays in hl Irish .. For example to do an essay on abortion etc or does your teacher give then out cause we haven't done any essays at all! And my teacher says we aren't doing the till after the mocks !!

*resists temptation to brag about lack of essays in pass*

Heh, sorry apart from that I can't help you! I do know that in the honours class in my school the teacher hands out the notes though.

*resists temptation to brag about lack of essays in pass*

Heh, sorry apart from that I can't help you! I do know that in the honours class in my school the teacher hands out the notes though.
    Haha ya thanks .. The pass classes in my school have done more than us .. We have done 6 sraith pictiurs and none of the listening and the teacher is so relaxed telling us not to worry!

While on the topic of Irish, do people learn off a load of sentences for each of the billion different essays, or what do people do, and how do you learn stuff for all the different proses and poets and an Trial and the essays, there is so much on the course its unreal, I just can't get my head round how to learn everything, do you just to have to memorise a load of different sentences for every different topic in each different section of the paper or what? (Cause for eg. there are like 5 different things you can be asked on a poem, and you have to know like 10 poems)

I'm worried about Irish in case it wasn't obvious

my teacher gives us a few sheets on the topic (e.g abortion, the internet, the government etc) and we do our own essays. She gives us a debate/essay to do over the weekend on the topic and we put it together ourselves using some of the info on the sheets. She doesn't give out essays done or anything like that, which I suppose is good cause none of ours are the same then.. She then corrects them on the Monday say, and hands then hands them back whenever marking us on them and all.. we see where we went wrong from the corrections and she gives us a little help if we need it. Topics like abortion though (had an essay to do in class today on it in a time limit) are really tough. you must know a lot of vocab for it and it's really hard to even debate about that stuff in English nevermind in Irish! My debate today went horrible by the way. :( ''Cheist conspóideach is ea é'' which I repeated around a million times. :P

HugsiePie wrote: »
    While on the topic of Irish, do people learn off a load of sentences for each of the billion different essays, or what do people do, and how do you learn stuff for all the different proses and poets and an Trial and the essays, there is so much on the course its unreal, I just can't get my head round how to learn everything, do you just to have to memorise a load of different sentences for every different topic in each different section of the paper or what? (Cause for eg. there are like 5 different things you can be asked on a poem, and you have to know like 10 poems)

I'm worried about Irish in case it wasn't obvious

For poetry, I try learning it all off by heart. It's the only way for some of the questions as some can be quite specific like the meter of the poem for example, which you can't waffle on about and make up on the spot - you either know it or not. For things like essays, I just keep an idea of what I'm writing in English, and keep it fairly simple so I'll be able to translate into Irish. I don't go learning off huge chunks (other than the opening, closing and fillers for debates). I don't attempt to re-write the exact same essay I had prepared the day before every time, I'm just prepared to have the same points. If you know your grammar, verbs and tenses and vocab to go with each topic of the essays (e.g An Chorás Sláinte, Ginmhilleadh, an t-Idírlíon etc). Keep your Irish relatively simple. I see some prepared essays on different types of questions in the book and they are crazy, so complicated. Saying that, you can't be saying 'Tá' and 'Bhí' in every sentence either... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Ugh do they actually ask about stuff like the meter of the poem? Always thought that was an urban myth...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

ray2012 wrote: »
    Trying to study a debate on abortion for tomorrow.. (did I mention it's for Irish? -__- ) .. Really tough debate question with a load of new vocab and stuff.. :confused:

I got asked that in my Oral for my Christmas exams, total disaster I couldn't even remember what the Irish for abortion is (gnímhíocht, I think, not sure about the spelling of anyone is wondering!) so I just started banging on about how it was a scandal that she wasn't allowed an abortion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

How do ye find the Irish listenings?
    They are grand to understand but the fact we only here them twice is a bit scandalous!

I got asked that in my Oral for my Christmas exams, total disaster I couldn't even remember what the Irish for abortion is (gnímhíocht, I think, not sure about the spelling of anyone is wondering!) so I just started banging on about how it was a scandal that she wasn't allowed an abortion!

In your oral?! Wow, I hope my real examiner for the oral isn't that harsh asking me a topic like that! An Ginmhileadh :P For our orals in class we haven't done too much other than the sraith picture to be honest. So much work and learning goes into them for 80 marks (I think it is).. If abortion even comes up in the real thing, i'll more than likely avoid it. Hoping for a nice and easy essay on the internet! :pac:

And yeah, they can ask about the meter I'm sure, or the type of poem it is, like Spailpin Fanach is like something like Fiannaiochta? I can't remember, did it last year.

The listening in Irish is my worst bit. Always barely scrape the pass in them. It's the most frustrating thing ever when YOU HEAR the answer and you know when they say it, but you don't have a clue how to spell it because of the horrible accent (Ulster) ..

(btw, I don't know how to quote multiple posts in the same post :confused:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

I'm seriously wondering whether it is worth my time doing Higher Level Irish. I've never been great at it but I had an excellent teacher for the Junior Cert and I got a B. I have now ended up with a terrible, terrible teacher for the Leaving Cert. She really is useless and Irish isn't a subject I can easily study at home by myself like a few others. I regularly change my mind regarding pass and honours.

Anyone here doing Higher Level and have a terrible teacher? How are you dealing with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

ConorCBS wrote: »
    I'm seriously wondering whether it is worth my time doing Higher Level Irish. I've never been great at it but I had an excellent teacher for the Junior Cert and I got a B. I have now ended up with a terrible, terrible teacher for the Leaving Cert. She really is useless and Irish isn't a subject I can easily study at home by myself like a few others. I regularly change my mind regarding pass and honours.

Anyone here doing Higher Level and have a terrible teacher? How are you dealing with it?

My irish teacher just doen't finish things at all, it's driving me crazy! She would start a poem, then jump to something else and just forget about the poem and jump back to it two weeks later, its really difficult to try and learn anything with her. It doesn't help that she misses at least one class every week!

I came across this in the Links thread and it's not too bad for stuff if your looking for source of notes : http://irishstudysite.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

ray2012 wrote: »
    And yeah, they can ask about the meter I'm sure, or the type of poem it is, like Spailpin Fanach is like something like Fiannaiochta? I can't remember, did it last year.

Eh really? Heh, don't like the sound of that at all. Myeh, if a question actually asking that came up I'd just be inclined to say it's a seanamhrain tbh. :p I think one of the poems is a rosc (not sure what that is but oh well)...Colscaradh, maybe? Ah well, I don't think the poems are worth enough marks to get too worked up over really, be grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Going to sit my English Christmas exam today. Number of poets that will be on the exam = 1 out of a possible 5 (no choice). Total poets learned (or even looked at) = 0 out of 5................. this is going to be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Going to sit my English Christmas exam today. Number of poets that will be on the exam = 1 out of a possible 5 (no choice). Total poets learned (or even looked at) = 0 out of 5................. this is going to be fun.

On the other hand its Friday. Yay.

On the other hand its Friday. Yay.

That actually made me laugh so much I woke up my sister! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Day off, getsin :D Only downside is I have this nasty flu / cold / flold

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Captain Hman

Would getting 200+ points be good enough to get into an I.T college ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement