Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Ah but there are some of us who can afford to spend €0 on grinds and others who have both parents working in jobs with ridiculously high salaries who can afford to pay thousands on grinds. Little unfair on the student who has no money.

Grinds are unnecessary at all. It's all about your work ethic and motivation. I didn't have any grinds and I got the highest LC in my school. Those who can get grinds don't necessarily make good use of them. Just keep your head down, make yourself a study plan and stick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Grinds are unnecessary at all. It's all about your work ethic and motivation. I didn't have any grinds and I got the highest LC in my school. Those who can get grinds don't necessarily make good use of them. Just keep your head down, make yourself a study plan and stick to it.
    Well, Maths might be a different scenario as some struggle quite a lot in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Whatever way you try spin it people who don't get grinds are at a huge disadvantage to those who do

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Whatever way you try spin it people who don't get grinds are at a huge disadvantage to those who do

I do kind of understand that, the majority of my maths class are getting grinds, and i'm one of the few who isn't and sometimes i find that the teacher can kind of presume that we are okay at something because the rest of the class have done it in grinds already when I might still only be getting to grips with the topic, and that for me is really annoying!
    There are a few girls in my maths and accounting classes who are getting grinds but then when it comes to the classes in school, they dont listen, don't do their homework, just don't even try to learn at all. I feel sorry for their parents wasting money on grinds when if they bothered to try in school they wouldn't need then!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Well, Maths might be a different scenario as some struggle quite a lot in it.

I had to drop down from Higher maths this year as I couldn't keep up, my friend who has been getting grinds since September of 5th year could and is still in Higher as a result.
    Unfair on me, and as far as I know, everyone in the higher level class is and has been getting grinds since 5th year and the majority who have dropped down had not been getting grinds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I do kind of understand that, the majority of my maths class are getting grinds, and i'm one of the few who isn't and sometimes i find that the teacher can kind of presume that we are okay at something because the rest of the class have done it in grinds already when I might still only be getting to grips with the topic, and that for me is really annoying!
    There are a few girls in my maths and accounting classes who are getting grinds but then when it comes to the classes in school, they dont listen, don't do their homework, just don't even try to learn at all. I feel sorry for their parents wasting money on grinds when if they bothered to try in school they wouldn't need then!

That's exactly what I've experienced. It's not even just with grinds though, a lot of people in my year just come to school and talk about how much study they're doing, spend classes sleeping because they've studied so much and just generally don't concentrate on school because they're studying so much. It's such a ridiculously backward thing to do. A few of my teachers have adapted to this and so instead of doing work they spend the class just literally naming out different seconds and saying to study that later on. School is becoming just a 6 hour waste of time that drains all my energy, during which I learn nothing new and just get constantly reminded about how I don't do as much study or get as many grinds as everyone else.

...yet I sit here on boards. Oh procrastination, you are a bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I'm one of those people who doesn't really learn much in class, I tend to daydream. Honestly, 90% of what I learn is by myself. I feel that school is just a waste of time for me because I would learn more at home on my own than at school. Some people just have a different way of learning and I've never liked having things explained to me, I just like to have good notes and learn the stuff myself. The only exception to that would be Maths class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

HugsiePie wrote: »
    I had to drop down from Higher maths this year as I couldn't keep up, my friend who has been getting grinds since September of 5th year could and is still in Higher as a result.

There's no shame in asking your friend to help you with a certain topic. Most friends would do that for each other. Despite what you're told in school, I think LC is a teamwork exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Attempting to study but downloading French music instead. Leaving Cert? What Leaving Cert?

Ye missed the bants in IRC last night lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

just changed biopharmaceutical science to no.1 on my CAO ooooooo. so annoying that the points went up by like 90 last year to almost 500. they'll go up again this year by around 40 i'd say -.-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Attempting to study but downloading French music instead. Leaving Cert? What Leaving Cert?

Studying. That's where the real bant is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Dayum :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

That > your leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Anyone do a Irish essay on abortion? Stuck for ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

subz3r0 wrote: »
    There's no shame in asking your friend to help you with a certain topic. Most friends would do that for each other. Despite what you're told in school, I think LC is a teamwork exercise.
    Wish my friends were like that, they (particularly one) is SUPER competitive (hence the grinds), whilst it is some what about getting the points, I'd think she'd absolutely die if I were to get a better leaving cert than her. That really should give me motivation to get offline and study. Meh. ;)
    You know what, this has just given me motivation! See you guys after my art essay is written! WOOHOO study here I come! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

It's going to be a late one again tonight, French oral tomorrow and part of my English exam. Then Irish oral tomorrow, and exams start on Thursday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Friends helping friends is an excellent way for the helper to consolidate their own knowledge of the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Yup, I had to do one for an exam... It was horrible. Managed to get 60%. It was a debate question ; I can barely debate about it in English nevermind Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

I can't imagine that we'd get an essay like that though? Despite the fact you'd need very specific vocab for it, it could be a very sensitive issue for a lot of people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Grinds are much like private schools, it does create an unfair disadvantage which only some people who can afford which is admittedly unfair, but I do think if someone has their heart set on something like medicine which requires astronomical points then I don't begrudge them for getting grinds. I do agree when I see someone who makes zero effort in a class complain about the teacher and get grinds it really does annoy me.

I suppose in a utopian world nobody would get grinds, and the playing field would be totally level.

• Advertisement

Glee_GG wrote: »
    I can't imagine that we'd get an essay like that though? Despite the fact you'd need very specific vocab for it, it could be a very sensitive issue for a lot of people?

Oh I totally agree, the SEC wouldn't have the balls to put it on, there'd be war!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

I suppose in a utopian world nobody would get grinds, and the playing field would be totally level.
    True that would be the ideal, but if it were to be a level playing field then something would have to be done about the teachers as well, as there are genuinely some bad teachers out there!
    Oh I totally agree, the SEC wouldn't have the balls to put it on, there'd be war!

I agree it's way to sensitive of an issue! Some people might take serious offence to it. I am surprised they are teaching it in school to be honest!

True that would be the ideal, but if it were to be a level playing field then something would have to be done about the teachers as well, as there are genuinely some bad teachers out there!

Also though that would mean you couldn't have private schools either as they're essentially the same idea!

I would dearly love to see some of my teachers do the Leaving Cert in their subject that they teach, like some of them would only get a C!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Guess where I'm going in April? :) To see Macbeth in the WestEnd, London with James McAvoy as the lead. Booked my ticket last night, going over purely just to see the show. Needless to say, I cant wait! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Guess where I'm going in April? :) To see Macbeth in the WestEnd, London with James McAvoy as the lead. Booked my ticket last night, going over purely just to see the show. Needless to say, I cant wait! :D

That's the fella from last king of scotland Is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

Anyone see the point in christmas exams? with it being so close to the mocks it doesn't make sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

^hence our school not having them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

David086 wrote: »
    Anyone see the point in christmas exams? with it being so close to the mocks it doesn't make sense to me.
    Well it's suppose to motivate you to work more and I'd say it has to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

Colm! wrote: »
    ^hence our school not having them

Your school seems to have some logic so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

David086 wrote: »

Nope to be honest. Our pre's are about 4 weeks after christmas so I really don't see the point of the christmas exams being so close to them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement