Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

ray2012 wrote: »

it's quality not quantity. :rolleyes:
    But you'd be looking for around 2/3 A4 pages I'd say (not sure how many words)

But then again, a person with 1 page of good and focused material and who answers the question properly, will get higher marks than someone who writes 3 pages of stuff slightly straying off the point.
    2/3 pages! Mine are usually in and around 5ish......

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Random question: Anyone know how many words an English poetry essay has to be?

It depends on how small your writing is, but my teacher says 5 for poetry, 6 for Macbeth and 7 for comparative (A4 pages that is) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

There's one class in our school and the length of their essays always had to be at least 5 pages "Cause that's what Bruce (grinds school) does!" which I think is a bit of joke really! Not to mention that Bruce only studied 2 poets last year, guess which two? Plath and Heaney! Consequently nobody got an A in English in there and then so nobody got 8A's!
    There's definitely an element of schadenfreude associated with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

is that the one George Humphrey is giving, I thought that was February ? I'm thinking about going, it seems like it will be really good. I'm starting to get afraid about maths tbh, i really want an A in it but the way its being marked and the fact that people barely know what is on the paper is freaking me out!

Nah this one is different, it's being done by the Maths Teachers Association or something like that... my teacher mentioned the George Humphrey one alright, but it's not supposed to be as good, it's just him going through his own book :pac: this is the one i'm on about if you wanna have a look http://www.corkmaths.ie/

yeah I getcha, but at least a good few exam papers are being published now so you can get a pretty good idea. Plus some stuff like differentiation is the same as it was on the old course :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Bruce only studied 2 poets last year, guess which two? Plath and Heaney! Consequently nobody got an A in English in there and then so nobody got 8A's!

This is my first time hearing this story. I'm honestly laughing my ass off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

really?o.O I don't know how I'd be able to write 5 pages.. :pac: I tend to get straight to the point though with little or no waffle, but otherwise, the max I would do for a poetry question would be in or around 3 pages, maybe 3 and a half. Macbeth around 3 and a half, and Comparative around 4 and a half for me..

There's one class in our school and the length of their essays always had to be at least 5 pages "Cause that's what Bruce (grinds school) does!" which I think is a bit of joke really! Not to mention that Bruce only studied 2 poets last year, guess which two? Plath and Heaney! Consequently nobody got an A in English in there and then so nobody got 8A's!

I'm so glad about that. :D Some of these grind schools piss me off so much only studying half the course and hoping that all goes well.

really?o.O I don't know how I'd be able to write 5 pages.. :pac: I tend to get straight to the point though with little or no waffle, but otherwise, the max I would do for a poetry question would be in or around 3 pages, maybe 3 and a half. Macbeth around 3 and a half, and Comparative around 4 and a half for me..
    I wouldn't be able to make it any shorter really and I don't really tend to waffle a whole lot. If I've got 4 poems it's usually a paragraph each at about 3/4 of a page each give or take. So with opening/ closing paragraphs it works our around 5 pages.

Macbeths essays are usually in and around 6 pages and Compartive 7 or 8.

I wouldn't be able to make it any shorter really and I don't really tend to waffle a whole lot. If I've got 4 poems it's usually a paragraph each at about 3/4 of a page each give or take. So with opening/ closing paragraphs it works our around 5 pages.

Macbeths essays are usually in and around 6 pages and Compartive 7 or 8.

Tis' crazy. :L Maybe that's why English isn't one of my strongest subjects at all. :pac:

Does anyone here actually enjoy doing English? I find it so useless and boring to be honest.. the poetry and the comparative especially. The essays on paper 1 are grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Ugh I'm not a bad writer but I'm terrible at condensing stuff down, I tend to write too much and by the end of an exam my writing is illegible. Hopefully by June I'll have mastered the art. :p Anyway poetry for me is about 4-5 pages, Macbeth around the same and my comparatives always seems to go onto the seventh page. And unseen poetry will be lucky to get a few bulletpoints!

The worst thing is, my writing is really quite small. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

curly135 wrote: »
    Nah this one is different, it's being done by the Maths Teachers Association or something like that... my teacher mentioned the George Humphrey one alright, but it's not supposed to be as good, it's just him going through his own book :pac: this is the one i'm on about if you wanna have a look http://www.corkmaths.ie/

yeah I getcha, but at least a good few exam papers are being published now so you can get a pretty good idea. Plus some stuff like differentiation is the same as it was on the old course :)

Oh right i didn't know there were different ones, I think i'm going to go to the George Humphrey one because i'm going to see two door cinema club on the first day of your one:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Here, I'm going to try and get the IRC going again tonight, feel free to join (irc.quakenet.org #LC2013, or http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channel=lc2013 if you guys don't know what that first bit means)

Colm! wrote: »
    Here, I'm going to try and get the IRC going again tonight, feel free to join (irc.quakenet.org #LC2013, or http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channel=lc2013 if you guys don't know what that first bit means)
    I should be joining you at some stage over the next 45 minutes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Heading to Mumford & Sons tomorrow night . . . Excitement isn't even the word at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

What's everyone getting for Xmas? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Glee_GG wrote: »
    Heading to Mumford & Sons tomorrow night . . . Excitement isn't even the word at this stage!

I'm going as well. I cannot wait. It's gonna be amazing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Some clothes and a game or two. What about you?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Proper buzzing for Christmas, it ant come soon enough pour moi :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

My first ipod ever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

HugsiePie wrote: »

My first ipod ever :D
    How have u lived without an iPod :O are u getting an iPod touch? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I'm perfectly alive who needs an iPod?

I wouldn't survive without my iPod. The day I thought I lost it and couldn't find it for over a half an hour was HELL.

How have u lived without an iPod :O are u getting an iPod touch? :)

Sí! :D I have 0 interest in music so during summer I decided that I have to get into music so I'll be somewhat normal in college, and what better way to get into music than listen to an ipod :) (I do realise that this form of logic is very stupid, meh :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

Sí! :D I have 0 interest in music so during summer I decided that I have to get into music so I'll be somewhat normal in college, and what better way to get into music than listen to an ipod :) (I do realise that this form of logic is very stupid, meh :p)

Seriously, not being snarky, how is that possible?

(And incidentally I'm getting headphones for Christmas :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

I wouldn't survive without my iPod. The day I thought I lost it and couldn't find it for over a half an hour was HELL.

Ditto. I'd be lost without mine, makes long car journeys, early mornings in school etc. way more bearable :pac:

Seriously, not being snarky, how is that possible?

(And incidentally I'm getting headphones for Christmas :D )

Dunno, I didn't grow up around much music, we didn't get a radio until I was 8 and even with the radio my dad would only listen to show band music and no offensive to anyone who likes it, but I hate it. Obviously when I hear certain songs I generally know if I like it or not and I favour some songs over others but I'm not a fan, I don't look up music on line or follow charts, I only know of the most famous artists and songs out there, my friends knew I didn't know much music but when they played some of the music they had on their phones they were actually shocked at the tiny amount of songs/singers I know. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I once dropped my iPod down the toilet, I was inconsolable it was if a member of family dies! I left it in rice for a few weeks though and it's still working (although slowly dying) except for a strip on the screen that doesn't respond to touch!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

Dunno, I didn't grow up around much music, we didn't get a radio until I was 8 and even with the radio my dad would only listen to show band music and no offensive to anyone who likes it, but I hate it. Obviously when I hear certain songs I generally know if I like it or not and I favour some songs over others but I'm not a fan, I don't look up music on line or follow charts, I only know of the most famous artists and songs out there, my friends knew I didn't know much music but when they played some of the music they had on their phones they were actually shocked at the tiny amount of songs/singers I know. :o

Well then *rubs hands* may I proffer David Bowie's Hunky Dory, Jethro Tull's Aqualung, and Daft Punk's Discovery? These are my favourite Albums-I-Don't-Skip-Any-Songs albums :P

Well then *rubs hands* may I proffer David Bowie's Hunky Dory, Jethro Tull's Aqualung, and Daft Punk's Discovery? These are my favourite Albums-I-Don't-Skip-Any-Songs albums :P

Sure, I don't know who any of those artists are bar David Bowie (80s singer, correct me if I'm wrong), but I'll give them a listen :)

You appear to be into very 70s music (although I do recognise changes from Shrek 2 :P)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

I suggest that you start listening to BBC Radio 1, Capital, SPIN and try and find songs and artists you like. You don't HAVE to love chart music but everyone likes some type of music, you just have to discover some of the artists that you're destined to love! Radio 1 would be my first port of call, a fantastic station which plays a great variety so you're bound to find something you like. You can then go onto their website and find out the name/artist of the song or Shazam it and start listening to more of that artists' stuff. You'll have a comprehensive array of music on your iPod in no time....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement