Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

On another note just realised your name is hugsiepie and not hugsispie. Think I'm a bit tired.

:confused: Ah, well at least you noticed, you're alert enough to notice that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

The weekend after Christmas, I'm hiking the Galtee Mountains for the weekend, :D carrying tent, food clothes sleeping bag everything! ;) I hope there'll be snow on the mountains cause that would just make it, or else it's gonna be REALLY cold for nothing!

Been up them quite a few times, in fairness they're pretty awesome :D but for the love of god, remember gloves and proper boots! xD went up in november a few years back and they were completely covered in snow. looked awesome, but I happened to forget my gloves... so the freezing cold hands weren't exactly pleasant :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

HugsiePie wrote: »

That is my idea of hell, I think I'd rather study :o

Oh yeah it tends to be hell when you're doing it, but when your finished you get such a rush and want to do it again :3

Almost 2 years ago we did it in Febuary and there was a foot of snow on the mountain, we ended up sliding down, it was brilliant ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Ugh, I'm in holidays mode already. This week has been the most unproductive week's studying I've done all year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Tomorrow is the last day for 6th years in our school! And Non uniform day tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Ugh, I'm in holidays mode already. This week has been the most unproductive week's studying I've done all year
    I'm the same I'm just ready for the Xmas holidays now so haven't done anything all week! Can wait to get loads of sleep :)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Got my eminem tickets today! So excited! :)

I'm not finished school til Friday at 11. One day to go... And then freedom! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DonallFitz

There are NO holidays in 6th year :p

Irish teacher told us the exact essay tittle coming up in the mocks! Kind of annoyed now cause that's all we are going to study over Xmas :( would have preferred not to know :/

DonallFitz wrote: »
    There are NO holidays in 6th year :p

Well, you know, holidays from having to get up early and go to school :p But true, the studying will still be there, ruining everything :pac:

• Advertisement

On the topic of Irish essays, somebody told me today that; you know there's 4 sections in the Irish essay part part A is an essay, part B is a story, part C is a newspaper article and part D is a speech or debate, he told me the SEC is removing part D the speech or debate, so there'll only be 3 sections but there'll be more essay titles in part A to compensate.

Say it ain't true?! I love a good debate! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

I've heard nothing about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DonallFitz

Since this is an off-thread forum...

Does it seem likely that there will be a female poet on the LC English exam 2013? Since there has been one on each year. Sylvia Plath might finally appear?

Or it is too much of a risk to just learn female poets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

On the topic of Irish essays, somebody told me today that; you know there's 4 sections in the Irish essay part part A is an essay, part B is a story, part C is a newspaper article and part D is a speech or debate, he told me the SEC is removing part D the speech or debate, so there'll only be 3 sections but there'll be more essay titles in part A to compensate.

Won't be for us I'd say

Can they do that for this year at this stage? Don't changes like that have to be brought by like November if they're going to apply to the exams in June?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Does it seem likely that there will be a female poet on the LC English exam 2013? Since there has been one on each year. Sylvia Plath might finally appear?

Well we're covering all the females and Irish poets coz it would be very uncommon for none to come up. But very uncommon doesnt equal impossible and learning 3 poets is a bit silly.

Female poets have ALWAYS come up. (emphasis on 'has' past tense, there's a first time for it!) However if you're looking to narrow down the poets you want to study then all the women is the safest bet, (having said that there's 3 classical poets on the course this year, a rarity, so one is likely to come up also, but that's less proven, if you look back over the papers a woman has turned up without fail) however I wouldn't bank on Sylvia Plath coming up, if you look at last years OT Thread you'll see the exact same logic, "Plath hasn't come up in ages, so she HAS to come up this year!" and that came back to bite them in the arse.
    Ruari Quinn loves to shake things up, I personally don't think Plath will come up this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Have an Irish test tomorrow and trying to learn an essay on education :(. Already studied two poets and a story tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Ah **** **** i just remembered I've got a geography test tomorrow

Can they do that for this year at this stage? Don't changes like that have to be brought by like November if they're going to apply to the exams in June?

It has been done in other exams before, in Applied Maths after Christmas last year the SEC announced there would no longer be integration by substitution in the exam, because it was 'unfair' on the Project Maths Pilot schools to have to teach it to their students as an extra bit.
    In doing it, it out a lot of possible questions in question 10, an arguably made it harder overall, as a very obscure question went in it's place.

• Advertisement

It has been done in other exams before, in Applied Maths after Christmas last year the SEC announced there would no longer be integration by substitution in the exam, because it was 'unfair' on the Project Maths Pilot schools to have to teach it to their students as an extra bit.
    In doing it, it out a lot of possible questions in question 10, an arguably made it harder overall, as a very obscure question went in it's place.

Yeah? Bit unfair doing it so late in the year. I wouldn't be entirely against that plan with the Irish paper though. Fairly sure I'm gonna do the essay, although the debates can be nice

Yeah? Bit unfair doing it so late in the year. I wouldn't be entirely against that plan with the Irish paper though. Fairly sure I'm gonna do the essay, although the debates can be nice

But it makes very little difference if a topic comes up as a debate or an essay, the only change you have to make is the first and last paragraph, and one or two works in each paragraph. Also debates are easier to prepare for cause they tend to be more topic issues health system, economy etc etc whereas essays can be a bit more philosophical which is less fun to answer!

Maths test on integration tomorrow! :(

But it makes very little difference if a topic comes up as a debate or an essay, the only change you have to make is the first and last paragraph, and one or two works in each paragraph. Also debates are easier to prepare for cause they tend to be more topic issues health system, economy etc etc whereas essays can be a bit more philosophical which is less fun to answer!

Apparently debates are marked easier but I'm not sure on that one. One thing I do know is that I'll be avoiding the Scéal like the plague :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

We got our LC hoodies today. Is it possible to be in love with a hoody?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

That has to be wrong. :pac:
    Half my class tend to pick the debate titles in tests and the other half essay titles. (I myself am a debate kind of person :rolleyes:)
    But yeah, there is no way they would do that for this year anyways without letting the teachers know. Some schools may only prepare debates and although it wouldn't be the end all (as you could easily make a debate into an essay), it still wouldn't make sense and the complaints made by schools would be endless. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Ahhh i really hope they don't do that, the debate is the best option! My friend told me her grinds teacher thinks they will move the comprehensions on paper 2 to paper 1 as people found they had loads of time for paper one and were pushed for paper two, i haven't heard anything about that since but it wouldn't really bother me whereas removing the debate would !

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Poufsouffle

My teacher got a letter from the department earlier about the changes to the Irish course this week but from my understanding of what she said the debates and story will be left alone, and it's the alt/iris thing(part C- I think) that will be merged with part A, the essays. So there will be now 3 parts A (5 topic choices and you can do either an essay or an article) B (the scéal) and C (the debate). She also said the marking scheme for the essay/debate/scéal/alt will be changed so that 80 marks will go for grammar/spelling(same as before) but now there will be 15 marks for content/ideas(used to be 20 marks) and 5 marks for style of writing(it wasn't exactly called that but I think that's what it implied). Basically you'll get docked marks for not writing the proper introduction/conclusion for the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

My teacher got a letter from the department earlier about the changes to the Irish course this week but from my understanding of what she said the debates and story will be left alone, and it's the alt/iris thing(part C- I think) that will be merged with part A, the essays. So there will be now 3 parts A (5 topic choices and you can do either an essay or an article) B (the scéal) and C (the debate). She also said the marking scheme for the essay/debate/scéal/alt will be changed so that 80 marks will go for grammar/spelling(same as before) but now there will be 15 marks for content/ideas(used to be 20 marks) and 5 marks for style of writing(it wasn't exactly called that but I think that's what it implied). Basically you'll get docked marks for not writing the proper introduction/conclusion for the debate.

Really? :O I'm sure my Irish teacher never got any letter like that as she would have mentioned it to us :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Poufsouffle

After a bit of searching on the examinations.ie website I found this about the changes to Irish P1:
    http://examinations.ie/schools/S100_12_JC_&_LC_Irish_Higher_Level_Exam_for_2013_and_Thereafter.pdf

Not sure if that link will work or not, it's what the Irish teachers were sent though I'd assume. It's basically the same as what I said in my post though in case the link doesn't work or if someone's reading this on a phone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement