Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Colm! wrote: »
    5th year IS pretty awesome
    but on another note, I've just realised I can transfer to History (which I didn't choose to do) to Business. I just want whichever subject is easier... what do I side with? :L

I think Business is easier, there is loads of learning in both but less essay style stuff in Business AFAIK

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Ahhh lads. I dont even know where to start, thats the speed 5th year goes at....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

5th year IS pretty awesome
    but on another note, I've just realised I can transfer to History (which I didn't choose to do) to Business. I just want whichever subject is easier... what do I side with? :L

Business, hands down!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Active Maths 4, higher level paper 2 text book is in the shops now! Got it today... it looks nice haha very colourful...and I was looking through it and I think I might (big might) like it...I'll probably be saying the opposite soon but ah well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tradmad.lacey

Anybody else have to wait for the JC results to be put into classes for Irish, English and maths? We have to wait 2 weeks ! :/

• Advertisement

?Anyone else doing a Film for English..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

My class will study Casablanca at some point but today we've started studying Macbeth. My mam (former English teacher) said it's something I might actually enjoy doing.. then again, I just like English.

Surprisingly, no 4th years are allowed to transfer to 5th year due to some bizzare cutbacks. Whilst meanwhile, expensive data projectors and speakers are being installed in every classroom. what.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

MWick94 wrote: »
    Seems like I'm the only person who didn't get any homework on the first day...

Nope! You're not alone my friend! Well, I must say I had a perfect first day.. We did nothing for the first 3 classes, then we had double PE and religion, followed by a double Ag Science free class and Irish! All we had to do in Irish is a write a few sentences about ourselves and our teacher is so sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MWick94

Doing Sive, 32A (film) and How I Live Now and Macbeth for single text for English. I've already read How I Live Now, so that's helpful. Have a terrible English teacher though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 a1anna303

decisions wrote: »
    In other news, for English I'm doing Macbeth, Wuthering Heights (sp?), Casablanca and The Great Gatsby. What is everyone else doing..?

For our single text we're doing the great gatsby and for our comparative we're doing "The Book Thief", "Macbeth" and an Italian film "I'm not scared" I'm a bit worried about the movie! It's in Italian but it comes with English subtitles :confused: Our teacher said it was a good movie though... hopefully it is! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

a1anna303 wrote: »
    In other news, for English I'm doing Macbeth, Wuthering Heights (sp?), Casablanca and The Great Gatsby. What is everyone else doing..?

For our single text we're doing the great gatsby and for our comparative we're doing "The Book Thief", "Macbeth" and an Italian film "I'm not scared" I'm a bit worried about the movie! It's in Italian but it comes with English subtitles :confused: Our teacher said it was a good movie though... hopefully it is! :(

I read the book, it's really good!
    First day of 5th year today, absolutely wrecked! Anyone wanna explain to me about the debit and credit in accounting? :p had a headache for most of the day, just so tired now! On the other hand, I get to watch Pretty Little Liars :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

So tired but at least I have no homework

a1anna303 wrote: »

"The Book Thief" is absolutely amazing. I'm quite jealous :L

"The Book Thief" is absolutely amazing. I'm quite jealous :L

I think I read that, Is it set during the war..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I love The Book Thief to bits, it's one of my favourite books ever, but studying it in depth would probably ruin it for me so I kinda hope we don't do it. Also a lot of people are doing The Great Gatsby. I guess it's handy as it's quite a short book but in my opinion it's not exactly hugely memorable, it has a character that's very easy to write about though and I guess with some notes the setting would be alright. I'd still hate to get it though. :p

We started doing proper honours maths today, stuff that was on the old course and remains on this one. It's actually so fun and rewarding, although it sucks when your A4-page long answer is ruined by one tiny little mistake and you have to start again. But yes, so far so good in the Maths department. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Anybody else have to wait for the JC results to be put into classes for Irish, English and maths? We have to wait 2 weeks ! :/

same here its really annoying :/ Were sorted alphabetically til then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

Slow Show wrote: »
    I love The Book Thief to bits, it's one of my favourite books ever, but studying it in depth would probably ruin it for me so I kinda hope we don't do it. Also a lot of people are doing The Great Gatsby. I guess it's handy as it's quite a short book but in my opinion it's not exactly hugely memorable, it has a character that's very easy to write about though and I guess with some notes the setting would be alright. I'd still hate to get it though. :p

We started doing proper honours maths today, stuff that was on the old course and remains on this one. It's actually so fun and rewarding, although it sucks when your A4-page long answer is ruined by one tiny little mistake and you have to start again. But yes, so far so good in the Maths department. :)

Out of interest, Do we get a Project Maths paper 2 only, or both Papers Project Maths? Also, What stuff have they left on the course?

Its only 8 and I'm falling asleep :(

Out of interest, Do we get a Project Maths paper 2 only, or both Papers Project Maths? Also, What stuff have they left on the course?

I think that both papers have changed...not completely but some of the questions definitely. I remember my maths teacher saying something about it yesterday, I think. :)

I think I read that, Is it set during the war..?

Yep. It's absolutely brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

As far as I know, LC 2012 get just a different Maths Paper 2 and the same Paper 1 but we get a different Maths Paper 2 and a fair chunk of Paper 1 is changed too. I'm not sure at all what's left on the course, but simultaneous equations definitely are, seeing as that's what we were doing today. :p

As far as I know, LC 2012 get just a different Maths Paper 2 and the same Paper 1 but we get a different Maths Paper 2 and a fair chunk of Paper 1 is changed too. I'm not sure at all what's left on the course, but simultaneous equations definitely are, seeing as that's what we were doing today. :p

I LOVE simultaneous equations! :D We were learning about Paschal's triangle and Polynomials today. So far, so good.

We're starting with Calculus. I haven't the faintest clue what calculus is, so...

We're starting with Calculus. I haven't the faintest clue what calculus is, so...

We did some of that in TY. It wasn't too bad...but then again, in TY I missed nearly every second maths class with everything that was going on...like the school show etc. etc. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DizzyLawds

I chose history, and I'm beginning to think it over. Could anybody give me advice? What the history course is like, is it difficult etc?

DizzyLawds wrote: »
    I chose history, and I'm beginning to think it over. Could anybody give me advice? What the history course is like, is it difficult etc?

I don't do history but I remember from the subject talks last year that you have to really love the subject to do it! Apparently, there are so many essays and you should really like writing essays (and be able to write essays in a short amount of time) when picking it! And I think the majority of the course for LC is modern history like the 1900s mostly (I amn't too sure) Maybe you should talk to your teacher about switching? Why are you thinking of changing anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DizzyLawds

Well, for what it's worth, I got a B in HL in the Junior.

I'm thinking of changing because more than half of the class are just there to doss. I mean, they won't go out of control or anything, but they're not too smart and I'm afraid they will slow down the class. Especially as there is no separate class for OL.

DizzyLawds wrote: »
    Well, for what it's worth, I got a B in HL in the Junior.

Do you like history? Cause if you do then try it out! If you like something it shouldn't be very hard to study. I got an A in the JC cause I just loved history so much but what put me off LC is the size of the course and the fact you have to write so much. I picked Physics instead because I preferred that. It really comes down to your opinion. :) I actually just remembered that didn't the course changed this year? So maybe, that course is better?? I don't know. IMO you're better off asking your teacher - they know best!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

Ughhh 3 days in and I fcuking HATE 5th year! God I miss TY :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

Ah right, Ya know what's really pissed me off? :P The fact we get boxes to write the maths in >__> I HATE that D: I need space :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement