Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

David1994 wrote: »
    Lads if any of ye use Sue Honan for Geography do you think most of the answers are full marks? I did an exam the other day and wrote two pages of pretty much an exact copy of one of the answers and only got 26/30? :confused:

Just wondering if that is a reoccuring trend?

I have 3 essays to hand up in Geography for Wednesday and I am going to copy them straight from the Sue Honan book as I am curious about this too (and also lazy), I will post back here when I get the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Can anyone point me in the right direction with a maths question?

"P(4,2) is a point of the circle c: x^2 + y^2 = 5x. Plot point P and circle c on the co-ordinate plane."

I presume you have to find the centre, but I can't for the life of me remember how!

I know its probably basic, but we did the circle sooo looong ago :pac:
    x^2 +y^2 = r^2 is the general equation for a circle with centre (0,0),
    So the centre of your circle is (0,0)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Can anyone point me in the right direction with a maths question?

"P(4,2) is a point of the circle c: x^2 + y^2 = 5x. Plot point P and circle c on the co-ordinate plane."

I presume you have to find the centre, but I can't for the life of me remember how!

I know its probably basic, but we did the circle sooo looong ago :pac:
    It's in the form x squared + y squared so the centre is (0,0). The radius is pretty awkward though.. square root of 5x. Dunno if you'll need that though

Edit: Dammit I was beaten to it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

*facepalm* it was too simple!

Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I have 3 essays to hand up in Geography for Wednesday and I am going to copy them straight from the Sue Honan book as I am curious about this too (and also lazy), I will post back here when I get the result.

Sound for that :) It seems that some answers have the bare minimum SRPs or less than required while others have a surplus of them! :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

David1994 wrote: »
    Lads if any of ye use Sue Honan for Geography do you think most of the answers are full marks? I did an exam the other day and wrote two pages of pretty much an exact copy of one of the answers and only got 26/30? :confused:

Just wondering if that is a reoccuring trend?
    If that's the Exam Skills book I remember our teacher saying that a lot of the answers in it are short of the full amount of SRPs. Every so often after we've done a section from our book she'll read out the answer from that book and get us to take down any extra information that could be useful but it's usually only a sentence or two at most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Anyone going to the chemistry in maynooth tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Lcvp interviews called off until tomorrow, Person interviewing us got snowed in

Great News - Study log suggestion was approved and hopefully will be up and running in the next few days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Methememb wrote: »
    Great News - Study log suggestion was approved and hopefully will be up and running in the next few days :D

Woop! Will definitely be starting one.

• Advertisement

Woop! Will definitely be starting one.

Good stuff :) Cant believe it got accepted so quick! Normally it takes 6 weeks just to get accepted, then another while to be set up... Should be good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Found This Fork Sir

Anyone else going to the Maths revision days in UCC at midterm?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 fionagotbored

Yepp, 14 long hours of Maths. :pac:

Yepp, 14 long hours of Maths. :pac:

It's supposed to be pretty good, probably the only thing that will get me through the mocks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 fionagotbored

It's supposed to be pretty good, probably the only thing that will get me through the mocks :pac:

Yeahh they supposedly are really good, my mocks finish the day before this though, which sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Nicely done! Looks like you'll be gunning for moderator of this place some day :P
    Lads does anyone know if there's any good concerts on any time during the midterm? I need a decent night out after the pres...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

Had a really bad day today.
    I took a certain subject new this year for repeating. I missed days during december/november because of a temporary xmas job I took.
    I explained this to all teachers and didn't do too bad in xmas tests!
    I missed yesterdays class cause tbh, I was quite exhausted..

I was in the new subject today anyway and the teacher started going on about my attendance in front of everybody! And then passed a comment -"I don't know how you're going to pass this year! I really don't..."

Anyone else think that's out of order to say to someone? During a leaving cert year? I thought teachers were meant to encourage you to succeed?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Me too :) got my ticket the other day, , my teacher went to it last year to see what it was like and she said it was good. My pres aren't until after midterm so its going to count as a lot of my maths study :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

CatEyed92 wrote: »
    I took a certain subject new this year for repeating. I missed days during december/november because of a temporary xmas job I took.

I was in the new subject today anyway and the teacher started going on about my attendance in front of everybody! And then passed a comment -"I don't know how you're going to pass this year! I really don't..."

Anyone else think that's out of order to say to someone? During a leaving cert year? I thought teachers were meant to encourage you to succeed?

Don't let him/her get to you. Use her remark as motivation to spur you on, and to prove him/her wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

CatEyed92 wrote: »

It's out of order to say in front of people, especially if this is the first time the teacher brought up your attendance. Just show him/her up with good results ;) Don't take it to heart, you know best yourself at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

buyer95 wrote: »
    Don't let him/her get to you. Use her remark as motivation to spur you on, and to prove him/her wrong.

This. Seriously don't dwell on it. You have the last laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Is anyone else doing 8 subjects ? I'm doing 8, economics being my 8th and I'm doing it by myself. I get no time during school to do it (like during religion/PE). I'm feeling overwhelmed with how much of the course I have left though.. I have 7 other subjects that I get a load of homework in daily and the majority of the time I barely get to even touch on Economics. Anyone the same way? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Finally got our Mocks timetable: 2 full days, half days and a 3 day weekend. As long as I make it over the second day ( English II and maths I) I think I can survive.

ray2012 wrote: »
    Is anyone else doing 8 subjects ? I'm doing 8, economics being my 8th and I'm doing it by myself. I get no time during school to do it (like during religion/PE). I'm feeling overwhelmed with how much of the course I have left though.. I have 7 other subjects that I get a load of homework in daily and the majority of the time I barely get to even touch on Economics. Anyone the same way? :(

Why not stop doing your weakest one?
    I was doing 8 for a year, but my technical graphics teacher was a useless prïck, so I gave it up to focus on my other subjects.

Why not stop doing your weakest one?
    I was doing 8 for a year, but my technical graphics teacher was a useless prïck, so I gave it up to focus on my other subjects.

I'm gonna think about that after I do the mocks next week, i'll see what my worst subject is.. As for now though, seems like it's work work work. :pac:

I'm gonna think about that after I do the mocks next week, i'll see what my worst subject is.. As for now though, seems like it's work work work. :pac:

I know the feeling :rolleyes:

It'll all be worth it.

I know the feeling :rolleyes:

It'll all be worth it.

let's hope so! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Can't wait to get the mocks over with. Would much prefer them before mid term.

I'm doing eight too. I think I'm managing okay, but then again, the only subject I'm doing outside of school is music, and I have a really good teacher for that, so I'd say that counts a lot towards it :) Music isn't actually a subject in my school, so i had to take it as an extra if I wanted to do it :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I'm doing 8 subjects, Applied Maths is my 8th, I don't find it massively taxing, but then again I finished the course sometime in November so since then it has just been revision, and now this year it's all very easy when last year is was all greek to me!

The pres are going to be an unmitigated disaster, I STILL can't get motivated, now at the same time I'm very preoccupied with the HPAT, so I suppose that is somewhat of an excuse!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement