Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

We havnt done any project maths stuffs yet :(
    Only algebra from the old book...

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭EvM

deise_girl wrote: »

Samesies, but that'll end soon :P

Anyway, my choices are:

English- H
    French- H
    Irish- O
    Physics- H
    Maths- H
    Biology- H
    Latin- H
    Applied Maths (going to try it out)- H

Not so sure about my subjects and teachers. Biology I may end up swapping out to something like History, or at least getting a tutor, because I don't have much hope for the teacher, and there's a lot of people in my class. I would have preferred to do Geography, Physics, Latin, but the way my school laid out the choices didn't benefit me a whole bunch.

First two days were ok, a lot different from TY, and there's gonna be some hard work, but hopefully I'll get used to it :).

And hello fellow 5th years :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

EvM wrote: »
    deise_girl wrote: »

Samesies, but that'll end soon :P

Anyway, my choices are:

English- H
    French- H
    Irish- O
    Physics- H
    Maths- H
    Biology- H
    Latin- H
    Applied Maths (going to try it out)- H

Not so sure about my subjects and teachers. Biology I may end up swapping out to something like History, or at least getting a tutor, because I don't have much hope for the teacher, and there's a lot of people in my class. I would have preferred to do Geography, Physics, Latin, but the way my school laid out the choices didn't benefit me a whole bunch.

First two days were ok, a lot different from TY, and there's gonna be some hard work, but hopefully I'll get used to it :).

And hello fellow 5th years :p.

Hey:) you are doing the same subjects as me except Latin - I am doing music instead and Higher irish.

So far, I like my subjects. Physics which I was a bit wary of is really good so far and I think I am going to enjoy it. Applied Maths, I havent had a class yet because I am doing that as an extra. Biology - I love it! and the rest of my subjects are great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I never thought I'd say this but I'm actually really liking 5th year (so far anyway, the first 3 days have been pretty good anyway) :).

It may have taken me the first 3 days of maths class to finally turn my maths brain back on but it's all starting to make sense to me again. In French class on Monday I ended up starting to speak in Spanish after spending 1 year of TY learning basic Spanish, felt like a right eejit so I did. :o

Apart from that everythign is seem sreally good so far and I think I'm now in love with certain subjects. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Anyone selling Accountning or Biology Books?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Soo, my subjects were finally decided.. not doing music anymore :( sucks ass, had to pick between Biology or Music, bit of an awkward choice isn't it !

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭EvM

Hey:) you are doing the same subjects as me except Latin - I am doing music instead and Higher irish.

So far, I like my subjects. Physics which I was a bit wary of is really good so far and I think I am going to enjoy it. Applied Maths, I havent had a class yet because I am doing that as an extra. Biology - I love it! and the rest of my subjects are great!

Hey, cool :). Yeah same, I was having second thoughts about Physics, but I just had my second class there and like it so far :). Biology I'm still not sure about, but I don't really have any other choice apart from History, which I'd probably dislike so gonna stick it out with bio :).

Apart from that my subjects are good too, haven't had Applied Maths yet either because I'm only doing it during lunchtimes about 3 times a week starting next week. To be honest that's what I'm worried most about, hopefully it'll be fine :).

MGMTea wrote: »
    Soo, my subjects were finally decided.. not doing music anymore :( sucks ass, had to pick between Biology or Music, bit of an awkward choice isn't it !

Awwh...that's so annoying! In my school, there are two bio classes - one at the same time as music and the other on at the same time as chem. I honestly could not pick between those too - music and bio are two of my fav subjects!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Maths is a very scary prospect. I'm in the top honours class, and probably one of the best in the class, and I was still struggling today. I'm hoping this is just a scare tactic and not all Maths classes will be this bad. :( I could barely do the homework, and I'm guessing at 2 of the 8 assigned questions are wrong. I got a 92% pre result, an A in JC and completed the Maths Olympiad training last yearr so I am definitely good at maths, but I couldn't for the life of me do the maths at home tonight. I am unnerved now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NSNO

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Maths is a very scary prospect. I'm in the top honours class, and probably one of the best in the class, and I was still struggling today. I'm hoping this is just a scare tactic and not all Maths classes will be this bad. :( I could barely do the homework, and I'm guessing at 2 of the 8 assigned questions are wrong. I got a 92% pre result, an A in JC and completed the Maths Olympiad training last yearr so I am definitely good at maths, but I couldn't for the life of me do the maths at home tonight. I am unnerved now :(

Maths is grand, don't worry. You obviously enjoy it, so see it as a challenge. Trust me, there's absolutely nothing on the course that's too taxing.

Out of interest, what was the topic?

• Advertisement

NSNO wrote: »
    Maths is grand, don't worry. You obviously enjoy it, so see it as a challenge. Trust me, there's absolutely nothing on the course that's too taxing.

Out of interest, what was the topic?
    We were doing Algebraic Factors, simplify to the smallest constant possible, dealing with items that don't have an obvious common denominator, but that multiplication of the two denominators leaves you in a muddle. Common denominator has to be gotten through manipulation of the terms. In class, she just let us at one of the questions at the start, and I was the only one to solve it, but now, for the life of me, I can't do the similar questions prescribed for homework.

We were doing Algebraic Factors, simplify to the smallest constant possible, dealing with items that don't have an obvious common denominator, but that multiplication of the two denominators leaves you in a muddle. Common denominator has to be gotten through manipulation of the terms. In class, she just let us at one of the questions at the start, and I was the only one to solve it, but now, for the life of me, I can't do the similar questions prescribed for homework.

Yeah, that sort of algebra can be difficult in the beginning but you'll soon begin to recognise terms that look similar to ones you solved a certain way before. By the time you reach your Mocks you'll be zooming through all them in one line.

And get used to not being able to complete your homework every night, sometimes you'll have days in which you're set 3-4 exam questions and you can barely get through half of any one of them. Just embrace it because that means you're bound to learn something new when your teacher goes through the solutions.

It took me a long time to settle into honours maths in 5th year. But once you do it's easily the most enjoyable subject on the course. You'll have nights in 6th year when you get 2-3 hours of homework and you'll always find yourself reaching for your Maths book first because the homework is actually enjoyable.

Yeah, that sort of algebra can be difficult in the beginning but you'll soon begin to recognise terms that look similar to ones you solved a certain way before. By the time you reach your Mocks you'll be zooming through all them in one line.

And get used to not being able to complete your homework every night, sometimes you'll have days in which you're set 3-4 exam questions and you can barely get through half of any one of them. Just embrace it because that means you're bound to learn something new when your teacher goes through the solutions.

It took me a long time to settle into honours maths in 5th year. But once you do it's easily the most enjoyable subject on the course. You'll have nights in 6th year when you get 2-3 hours of homework and you'll always find yourself reaching for your Maths book first because the homework is actually enjoyable.
    Thanks, you've made me feel a bit less retarded anyway.:D Tbh, I expect when I go in tomorrow, no one else in the class of 23 will have gotten the answers either, but still, I've never *not* been able to do a school maths question before and it's quite a shock to the confidence.

Thanks, you've made me feel a bit less retarded.:D Tbh, I expect when I go in tomorrow, no one else in the class of 23 will have gotten the answers either, but still, I've never *not* been able to do a school maths question before and it's quite a shock to the confidence.

I never quite understood (on the old course at least) why teachers start with the algebra questions on paper 1. The actual mathematical mechanics of the questions aren't that difficult to understand, simply the algebra is intentionally awkward and difficult to test your skills.

On the old course you could actually do both maths papers without answering a full question directly on algebra. I always thought it scared people off honours maths who might be very good at Calculus/Geometry/Trigonometry/Statistics.

Good luck, and enjoy it. Honours maths is easily the most useful subject to have with your Leaving Cert.

First week of fifth year complete and it feels like I have been back for months! I like all my classes so far except french because all we have done all week is watch a movie! It seriously feels like TY in french class...and to top it all off my teacher asked me to be on the senior french debating team today for 5th and 6th year which is great apart from the fact that I cant remember how to speak french :eek: seriously I cant remember anything!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭conorburke2011

First week of fifth year complete and it feels like I have been back for months!QUOTE]

Oh God, I feel exactly the same! Although school actually hasn't been that bad.... apart from double P.E Thursday mornings- I HATE double P.E!:( What's everyone enjoying and hating so far? TBH, I'm really enjoying 5th year as of now, compared to 3rd! I just hope my positive attitude keeps going! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

Everyone is too nice in my school coming from Belfast in the UK, everyone is so happy and nice to each other, its scary :(

Maths seems a real bitch as there is a pretty big gap from GCSE to LC maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

First day back yesterday and they give us today off :D Really happy with teachers and my class. According to my timetable our class don't have P.E, whereas the lower classes do. :confused: Not exactly sure why but at least we have an extra maths/Irish class.

kevin12345 wrote: »
    First day back yesterday and they give us today off :D Really happy with teachers and my class. According to my timetable our class don't have P.E, whereas the lower classes do. :confused: Not exactly sure why but at least we have an extra maths/Irish class.

Wow you were back so late! I was back on Monday :) And honestly I would not be questioning not having PE..! That would be great if my year didnt have it!

Worst part of 5th year: French. Cant remember anything since I hardly did french during TY. Irish is grand cause I went to the gaeltacht but now, I really regret not brushing up on my french over the summer as well!

Best part: I love 5th year in general. I love my subjects and I enjoy studying them (as crazy as that sounds!). After TY it just feels great to have a structured timetable. :)

I never quite understood (on the old course at least) why teachers start with the algebra questions on paper 1. The actual mathematical mechanics of the questions aren't that difficult to understand, simply the algebra is intentionally awkward and difficult to test your skills.

On the old course you could actually do both maths papers without answering a full question directly on algebra. I always thought it scared people off honours maths who might be very good at Calculus/Geometry/Trigonometry/Statistics.

Good luck, and enjoy it. Honours maths is easily the most useful subject to have with your Leaving Cert.
    Felt way better today. The 2 questions I couldn't do were because of slips rather than blunders. Stupid stuff like adding a square (^2) to a term that didn't have one on the previous line.
    Wow you were back so late! I was back on Monday :)

Worst part of 5th year: French. Cant remember anything since I hardly did french during TY. Irish is grand cause I went to the gaeltacht but now, I really regret not brushing up on my french over the summer as well!
    I've a friend who is back on the 8th, but it's a private fee-paying school so I guess that is relevant.

My Spanish is the same. Forget everything, and I keep reverting to Irish. Did no Spanish in TY, and little Irish, but Irish College has brought my Irish back up, and made my Spanish even worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Does everyone else now have Project Maths? I'm in Ordinary level maths and use Active Maths 3 as our books it's ridiculous they look like primary books!
    I hate this whole changing of system thing, they should have just waited till we graduated for them to bring it into the LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

We're not even using textbooks for maths, there's 45 people in our class and we have it in a room that resembles a lecture room more than a classroom.. Old school here, like.

..but I think we're doing Project Maths.

Does everyone else now have Project Maths? I'm in Ordinary level maths and use Active Maths 3 as our books it's ridiculous they look like primary books!
    I hate this whole changing of system thing, they should have just waited till we graduated for them to bring it into the LC.

yep. Anybody doing the LC in 2012 or 2013 has some of their course changed to PMaths. At the moment, my honours class has started Algebra from the Active Maths 4 book (my teacher got the sample chapter from the internet since no book for paper 1 is out yet) and I amn't sure whether the algebra section of the new course is project maths? It doesnt seem to be too bad. On the other hand, I love the book! It looks good, I think. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Colm! wrote: »
    We're not even using textbooks for maths, there's 45 people in our class and we have it in a room that resembles a lecture room more than a classroom.. Old school here, like.

45 people ! Wow and I thought my class was big (26) We ain't using textbooks either but our Maths teacher is class so it s'all good

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

Colm! wrote: »

45 people? That could not be right, I was under the assumption that the absolute maximum class size was 30?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

There is about 40 in my H Maths class...

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DermotOH

yep. Anybody doing the LC in 2012 or 2013 has some of their course changed to PMaths. At the moment, my honours class has started Algebra from the Active Maths 4 book (my teacher got the sample chapter from the internet since no book for paper 1 is out yet) and I amn't sure whether the algebra section of the new course is project maths? It doesnt seem to be too bad. On the other hand, I love the book! It looks good, I think. :)

We are doing Algebra aswell and working off sheets, Seems the book stores dont know what book they are supposed to be selling

DermotOH wrote: »
    We are doing Algebra aswell and working off sheets, Seems the book stores dont know what book they are supposed to be selling
    23 in my Highest Honours class, and then 2 other Honours classes with 25 each but people are talking about dropping down already.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

DermotOH wrote: »

Same here :) Theres 2 parts to the Higher Level book and Book 2 (which we dont really use til next year/end of this year) is just out in our bookstore but Book 1 won't be published until October.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

We are doing geometry atm in maths, finding it quite easy so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement