Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Look at some of the Leaving Cert Applied exams, it all looks so tempting some days! Just to sit back do LCA and not care!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

I missed the irish times supplement :( **** my A1. Haha does anyone have spare notes or any good links?
    I do English, Irish, maths, French, biology, economics, accounting and Russian :)
    Wanna do law in tcd! Ah help is greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Look at some of the Leaving Cert Applied exams, it all looks so tempting some days! Just to sit back do LCA and not care!
    Losers Can Achieve

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I HATE WRITING SHORT STORIES!!!!!!!!! That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Quick maths question lads; How do ye go about answering those questions on complex numbers where they give you a set of points on an argand diagram and then ask you to identify points? Like question (1)(b) here http://examinations.ie/schools/LCEV2013/Project_Maths_Phase_2_P1_Higher_Level.pdf

Is there any set approach ye have or like guidelines? My teacher has gone through a few but the way he did them was kinda specific to each one if ya get me? He never gave any general technique for doing them like. At the minute the only thing I have to go on is that multiplying by i means the point crosses the Imaginary axis but after that I can never get them out. How do ye all go about doing them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Quick maths question lads; How do ye go about answering those questions on complex numbers where they give you a set of points on an argand diagram and then ask you to identify points? Like question (1)(b) here http://examinations.ie/schools/LCEV2013/Project_Maths_Phase_2_P1_Higher_Level.pdf

Is there any set approach ye have or like guidelines? My teacher has gone through a few but the way he did them was kinda specific to each one if ya get me? He never gave any general technique for doing them like. At the minute the only thing I have to go on is that multiplying by i means the point crosses the Imaginary axis but after that I can never get them out. How do ye all go about doing them?

Hey, the way I tackle them is just to learn off a few properties of imaginary numbers and try to spot them in use on the diagram. For example, in that question they give you the information:

Z2 = iZ1
    Z3 = kZ1
    Z4 = Z2 + Z3

The first thing I think when I see that is something my teacher said: When you multiply a number by i, it is the equivalent of rotating the number 90 degrees anticlockwise about the origin. So basically you look for two points that can be joined with an arc about the origin (hence showing that they've been rotated), and that when joined back to the origin, form a 90 degree angle!
    (The same applies if they give you -i, with the only difference being the rotation is clockwise)

So in this case, Z2 would be the point after rotation, and Z1 the point before. In the diagram, Z1 therefore is the point furthest to the right and Z2 is the point furthest to the left.

Now that we have those two points and are sure of them, we can look for the others. Z4 = Z2 + Z3 is the next most useful piece of information. Noting the position of Z2, Z4 must be the one above it, since all of the imaginary parts of each number are positive and so adding any of them to Z2 cannot give a number that would be below Z2 on the argand diagram. Since there's only one number above Z2, it must be that one!

So then the remaining point is Z3, by process of elimination. To estimate K, just look at the relationship between Z3 and Z1, given that Z3 = kZ1. Z3 looks to be about half of Z1, and the answer is 1/2!

Most of the ones I've seen involve multiplication by i/-i, so once you recognise that and find it on the diagram, you should be able to find the other two points using what they give you. Sorry if I confused you, but hopefully I've helped you in some way.

Hey, the way I tackle them is just to learn off a few properties of imaginary numbers and try to spot them in use on the diagram. For example, in that question they give you the information:

Z2 = iZ1
    Z3 = kZ1
    Z4 = Z2 + Z3

The first thing I think when I see that is something my teacher said: When you multiply a number by i, it is the equivalent of rotating the number 90 degrees anticlockwise about the origin. So basically you look for two points that can be joined with an arc about the origin (hence showing that they've been rotated), and that when joined back to the origin, form a 90 degree angle!
    (The same applies if they give you -i, with the only difference being the rotation is clockwise)

So in this case, Z2 would be the point after rotation, and Z1 the point before. In the diagram, Z1 therefore is the point furthest to the right and Z2 is the point furthest to the left.

Now that we have those two points and are sure of them, we can look for the others. Z4 = Z2 + Z3 is the next most useful piece of information. Noting the position of Z2, Z4 must be the one above it, since all of the imaginary parts of each number are positive and so adding any of them to Z2 cannot give a number that would be below Z2 on the argand diagram. Since there's only one number above Z2, it must be that one!

So then the remaining point is Z3, by process of elimination. To estimate K, just look at the relationship between Z3 and Z1, given that Z3 = kZ1. Z3 looks to be about half of Z1, and the answer is 1/2!

Most of the ones I've seen involve multiplication by i/-i, so once you recognise that and find it on the diagram, you should be able to find the other two points using what they give you. Sorry if I confused you, but hopefully I've helped you in some way.

Thanks so much for that. Really good tips. Ya put lot of effort into that, very helpful :) Appreciate it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Not very off topic but I've come to the conclusion that even if someone handed me my maths pre paper today I still wouldnt do well in it.
    Think it's time to call it a day :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

deise_girl wrote: »
    Not very off topic but I've come to the conclusion that even if someone handed me my maths pre paper today I still wouldnt do well in it.
    Think it's time to call it a day :/

:O Its 3.45! Why dont you go for a walk or some ****, chill for two hours, then come back to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Just did my maths paper 1, timing was horrific. Difficult paper too, aghhh

• Advertisement

Methememb wrote: »
    :O Its 3.45! Why dont you go for a walk or some ****, chill for two hours, then come back to it?

I meant call it a day as in, bonfire with the honours books and head to the shop and get a pass book! :P
    In the words of sminky shorts "I can't do it!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

:O Thats worse again! Stick at it! Its worth the 25 points!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

I meant call it a day as in, bonfire with the honours books and head to the shop and get a pass book! :P
    In the words of sminky shorts "I can't do it!"

Sit the pres, and if you fail miserably then drop, you'll regret it, if you drop before the pres!

Methememb wrote: »
    :O Thats worse again! Stick at it! Its worth the 25 points!

I'm with Methememb, the SEC are doing their level best to make sure everyone passes, the fail level in HL Maths has fallen hugely this isn't a coincidence the powers that be don't want Project Maths to look bad compared to the old syllabus, the only way you'd fail is if you handed up a completely blank paper ;)

I'm with Methememb, the SEC are doing their level best to make sure everyone passes, the fail level in HL Maths has fallen hugely this isn't a coincidence the powers that be don't want Project Maths to look bad compared to the old syllabus, the only way you'd fail is if you handed up a completely blank paper ;)

Heard this myself as well. Seriously, they give you marks for writing down a formula, they give you attempt marks (which add up) for making two lines of an attempt, they give you marks for rearranging the question for Christ's sake :p With any sort of effort, you'll pass and pass comfortably :) And let's not forget, 25 points

Oh I dunno :/ This has been a dodgy road since 5th year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Maths is the subject I'm most worried about for the mocks, mostly because I know if I do poorly are teacher will be pressuring me to drop and that just isn't an option for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Our maths paper 1 was undeniably the worst test I have ever seen in my life.

Just thought I'd fill ye all with confidence.

Our maths paper 1 was undeniably the worst test I have ever seen in my life.

Just thought I'd fill ye all with confidence.

Noooo, I'm hearing this from all angles* ,EC or DEB?

*No pun intended :p

Noooo, I'm hearing this from all angles* ,EC or DEB?

*No pun intended :p
    EC I think, as far as I can remember

• Advertisement

Was it you found the content hard and need more work on it or did it al just look alien and weird?

*Sigh*

Right, all this hard maths paper talk and has actually terrified me. I'm heading to do a few papers

Heard this myself as well. Seriously, they give you marks for writing down a formula, they give you attempt marks (which add up) for making two lines of an attempt, they give you marks for rearranging the question for Christ's sake :p With any sort of effort, you'll pass and pass comfortably :) And let's not forget, 25 points

Exactly just to give you an example, in that Irish Times Maths Supplement, there was a question which was in one of the previous exams for the Pilot Schools and it was a sequences and series question and one student just wrote the formula nothing else, didn't write a figure, didn't change anything around, didn't even get any sort of answer and get 8 marks of 15, that's 53% :O that's crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Exactly just to give you an example, in that Irish Times Maths Supplement, there was a question which was in one of the previous exams for the Pilot Schools and it was a sequences and series question and one student just wrote the formula nothing else, didn't write a figure, didn't change anything around, didn't even get any sort of answer and get 8 marks of 15, that's 53% :O that's crazy!
    I regret dropping now :( oh well, I don't need the points anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Thanks so much for that. Really good tips. Ya put lot of effort into that, very helpful :) Appreciate it!

It's no problem! We've only recently covered it so it was fresh in my head. :)

All this talk of difficult paper 1 is putting me off.. I was feeling okay about it until now! My maths teacher is stingy with her attempt marks too. It's good in a way though, because you know that good marks with her will translate (hopefully) to great marks in the real thing.

Was it you found the content hard and need more work on it or did it al just look alien and weird?
    It was a bit of both really. Like I recognised the chapters that most of the questions were coming from but had absolutely no idea what to do with them. Out of the 6 questions that we should have been able to do, with all the bits of questions put together that I'm fairly confident I did right I think I'd only have managed a question and a half, two at a stretch.

All that about attempt marks better be true lads or else I've completely failed. I must have made 3 different attempts at some of the questions but none of them worked out at all so hopefully at least one of them will count for something. Praying Paper 2 will pull me back up tomorrow, at least I'm fairly alright with probability and statistics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

The maths paper 1 I did was challenging but entirely workable and I came out of it pretty damn happy with the whole thing.
    [/voice of dissent]

Colm! wrote: »
    The maths paper 1 I did was challenging but entirely workable and I came out of it pretty damn happy with the whole thing.
    [/voice of dissent]
    Ah goway you, ya maths genius. It was probably the same paper as ours and all wasn't.

I'm making myself feel better by telling myself that at least I had a stab at eveything albeit a stab in the dark most of the time.

I have felt worse after better tests though surprisingly......

At least English paper 2 was lovely. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kayleigh01

Does anyone wanna scan that Project Maths Supplement that was in the Times? I missed it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

Lads, I've a very quick and stupid question :p

My name happens to have a fada in it, which I included in my CAO application. When we got our exam numbers though, and had to check over the details being sent to the SEC with the list of subjects etc. the teacher said it'd be okay to leave it out, which I did. So basically my name without the fada is what was down on the sheet.

Was just wondering, the missing fada won't cause any complications later will it? :confused: The date of birth and everything else is the same, but I can't help but feel slightly paranoid xD

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement