Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

ray2012 wrote: »
    Had my maths paper 1 today as well. It went ok, not as good as I would've hoped! Is it just me or are the questions sometimes HORRIBLY phrased? Certain questions on the paper I couldn't even make out what I was suppose to do!

Yeah that's intentional though, they want you to 'critical think' about it as they like to say! The best thing you can do is to just transfer the relevant information like figures onto the paper yourself that way it becomes clearly cause you don't have all the window dressing around it as my physics teacher would say!

For those have ye that had a DEB paper for maths paper 1, for the
    simultaneous equations did ye get

10, 10, 0
    I think so, and isn't that really for the mocks thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Thought I was going to be sitting a Maths paper today, turns out it was physics and college accountancy :rolleyes:
    Was that "physics" question about
    planets
    and the like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Urgh, the Mocks thread is only 2 clicks away at any one time, this is a lot more difficult than I had expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

I'll be opening the IRC channel tonight on the condition that people talk about things other than the mocks there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Don't know what happened today.. Felt sick earlier and still sick now and I couldn't do my maths.. I feel awful and so so tired. And the annoying thing is I am actually good enough at maths :( I hope I'm not getting sick, study must be done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Was that "physics" question about
    planets
    and the like?

Yep, that's the one. Literally was a physics question like :confused: You had the same paper, obviously? What ya make of it? The longs were atrocious but the shorts were do-able. Integration was lovely as well. I hope this isn't getting too close to being a spoiler :p

Yep, that's the one. Literally was a physics question like :confused: You had the same paper, obviously? What ya make of it? The longs were atrocious but the shorts were do-able. Integration was lovely as well. I hope this isn't getting too close to being a spoiler :p
    Practically the whole paper was a nightmare for me.....I' m consoling myself with the fact that we couldn't do 7 or 8 and that paper 2 was beautiful.

I will not mention the mocks on IRC later if I do decide to turn up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Practically the whole paper was a nightmare for me.....I' m consoling myself with the fact that we couldn't do 7 or 8 and that paper 2 was beautiful.

I will not mention the mocks on IRC later if I do decide to turn up.

There's hope then? That at least :D

http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channel=lc2013

Setting this up for the night lads. Two rules:
    1. Don't discuss the mocks.
    2. Banter Banter.

This went very well one night and has been a veritable embarrasment every attempt since, so let's see if we can get this going again.
    (for anyone who uses IRC for other things we're #lc2013 on irc.quakenet.org)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I was just going through the English papers looking at the different questions and one for Macbeth was ''Macbeth is a great example of a compelling drama'' ..

I'm just wondering what could you say for a question like that? How is it a good compelling drama? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

ray2012 wrote: »
    I was just going through the English papers looking at the different questions and one for Macbeth was ''Macbeth is a great example of a compelling drama'' ..

I'm just wondering what could you say for a question like that? How is it a good compelling drama? :P

The slow pace at the beginning builds the tension until it reaches the dramatic climax.
    We learn valuable lessons on issues such as ambition and power.
    We watch Macbeth change from an honest, good person into a malicious tyrant.
    We discover how one murder often leads to the next and we don't know where they will end.
    How realistic and human the characters were.
    How the story is still universal and timeless despite being written hundreds of years ago.
    Continues to build right until the end.
    Contains elements of the supernatural to add a new exciting layer of unpredictability to the story.
    The prophecies established at the beginning pique our interested and leave us wanting to find out whether they will become true.
    We see the extent of the power of evil and how it can consume people

etc. etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

0mega wrote: »
    The slow pace at the beginning builds the tension until it reaches the dramatic climax.
    We learn valuable lessons on issues such as ambition and power.
    We watch Macbeth change from an honest, good person into a malicious tyrant.
    We discover how one murder often leads to the next and we don't know where they will end.
    How realistic and human the characters were.
    How the story is still universal and timeless despite being written hundreds of years ago.
    Continues to build right until the end.
    Contains elements of the supernatural to add a new exciting layer of unpredictability to the story.
    The prophecies established at the beginning pique our interested and leave us wanting to find out whether they will become true.
    We see the extent of the power of evil and how it can consume people

etc. etc. etc.

Thanks! If a question similar to that comes up on my paper 2 on Monday I shall thank you! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

History is going to kill me on Monday..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Irish paper 1 Monday morning but im watching the Superbowl tomorrow night so ya...

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Irish paper 1 Monday morning but im watching the Superbowl tomorrow night so ya...
    Can't wait to see beyonce!! :) what time does it start?

Just reinstalled twitter on my iPod. Bye bye productivity. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

I'm getting the day off Monday just to watch this Super Bowl :D The game starts at 23:30

It was some game of rugby today too!

kingcobra wrote: »
    It was some game of rugby today too!

My heart! :O

Ugh I'm worried that by the time the pres are over (the midterm) that Les Mis will be out of the cinema, everyone says it's amazing and I don't want to have to wait for it to come out on DVD :( Also I can't find anyone to go with me, everyone has already seen it, am I the only one who can't handle going to the cinema on my own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Ugh I'm worried that by the time the pres are over (the midterm) that Les Mis will be out of the cinema, everyone says it's amazing and I don't want to have to wait for it to come out on DVD :( Also I can't find anyone to go with me, everyone has already seen it, am I the only one who can't handle going to the cinema on my own?
    I'm dying to see it as well! Bring a sister or cousin?? :)

Come here and I'll go with you! I've already seen it but I would seriously go again I loved it so much the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

I really want to see it as well, all my friends went one night, but i couldn't go :( and yeah i couldn't handle going to the cinema on my own either

Come here and I'll go with you! I've already seen it but I would seriously go again I loved it so much the first time.
    Good idea! Everyone is invited down to Cork for a LC OT screening of Les Mis, to celebrate the end if the Pres (for most people anyway :P)

Pre-gats: optional. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Just did the 2008 Biology paper and got it finished in just over an hour. :/ Didn't know the experiments too well and only got 32/60 on that section, also made a few other silly mistakes. Got 81% overall so not too bad, but am hoping for an A1 in the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Good idea! Everyone is invited down to Cork for a LC OT screening of Les Mis, to celebrate the end if the Pres (for most people anyway :P)

Pre-gats: optional. ;)

GREAT IDEA! :D You're paying though, right? ;)

Just did the 2008 Biology paper and got it finished in just over an hour. :/ Didn't know the experiments too well and only got 32/60 on that section, also made a few other silly mistakes. Got 81% overall so not too bad, but am hoping for an A1 in the real thing.
    I really don't know why they give 3 hours for the paper. The mock took me a hour and a half to do and I was taking it fairly handy.

Colm! wrote: »
    http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channel=lc2013

Setting this up for the night lads. Two rules:
    1. Don't discuss the mocks.
    2. Banter Banter.

This went very well one night and has been a veritable embarrasment every attempt since, so let's see if we can get this going again.
    (for anyone who uses IRC for other things we're #lc2013 on irc.quakenet.org)
    This was actually pretty banterful last night and we will repeat it, now. Go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I really don't know why they give 3 hours for the paper. The mock took me a hour and a half to do and I was taking it fairly handy.

I guess it's to account for people who write really slowly or whatever but I agree, each of the science papers could be done in two hours at a leisurely pace, I don't know why they think we require three! :P

• Advertisement

I guess it's to account for people who write really slowly or whatever but I agree, each of the science papers could be done in two hours at a leisurely pace, I don't know why they think we require three! :P

I dunno about the physics one, I think that's fairly time consuming!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement