Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Surely an examiner would cop when they see a class-worth of scripts with same essay written for each? Suppose they can't dock too many marks with only 20 going for the content, but still. Would it not reduce your chances of getting an A1/2 if all essays are word for word the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Whatever about honours Irish being generous with time, I'm convinced OL is worse. An hour and a half to write two of either blag/comhra/scéal/litir that must be "leathleathanach no mar sin".. I did one of each, including a really overwritten scéal, and still had twenty minutes left at the end.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20 GoldenPoppy

Looking at the ordinary level Irish paper makes me want to cry :( A half page for a story!

Looking at the ordinary level Irish paper makes me want to cry :( A half page for a story!

My teacher always says that the half a page is "a minimum, not a target!". There are some people in my class who don't even make it to half a page.. I think I wrote two pages the other day, using loads of the "bonus phrases" as my teacher calls them. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

ray2012 wrote: »

In your opinion, what is the best way to learn how to write good essays? During the mid-term I plan on trying to get better at them as It's my worst section of the paper at the moment. Obviously I'm going to avoid learning off essays. But yeah, how do you think someone could improve?
    My advice may not be the best but I'll try be as helpful as possible!
    When preparing for an essay we go through all the small conprehensions in the book and the list of vocabulary at the end. Every single day my teacher asks us words and sentences so I suppose she does drum it into us! Then sometimes she gives us out sheets from Dreimire or other books with sample essay that we read through.
    I generally plan my essay quite well. I write down phrases that I will use (sometimes I use the same introduction if it suits) and write exactly what my points will be. I do take phrases from the book/sheets other notes of mine and just put them all together. I don't just copy straight off though.
    I think it's better it you learn the vocab first and then put it together. I don't think it's bad if you copy things from a book but make sure it's something you will remember and isn't too hard for you.
    Other than that grammar is key. Know your verbs inside out and reamhfhocails like i, faoin, sa etc and the tuiseal ginideach.
    I don't really know what else I can say apart from building up a wide tranche of vocabulary and knowing your grammar well. If you want any more help just ask :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Take Away is starting back on the 23, hasn't been on in 4 years. I used to love that show :)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

My advice may not be the best but I'll try be as helpful as possible!
    When preparing for an essay we go through all the small conprehensions in the book and the list of vocabulary at the end. Every single day my teacher asks us words and sentences so I suppose she does drum it into us! Then sometimes she gives us out sheets from Dreimire or other books with sample essay that we read through.
    I generally plan my essay quite well. I write down phrases that I will use (sometimes I use the same introduction if it suits) and write exactly what my points will be. I do take phrases from the book/sheets other notes of mine and just put them all together. I don't just copy straight off though.
    I think it's better it you learn the vocab first and then put it together. I don't think it's bad if you copy things from a book but make sure it's something you will remember and isn't too hard for you.
    Other than that grammar is key. Know your verbs inside out and reamhfhocails like i, faoin, sa etc and the tuiseal ginideach.
    I don't really know what else I can say apart from building up a wide tranche of vocabulary and knowing your grammar well. If you want any more help just ask :)

Thanks a million for that. :)
    Plan on doing this over the mid-term. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Maths Paper 2 tomorrow. Screwed isn't the word. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

History and French tomorrow. Haven't even looked at French and I've only about 7 or 8 topics covered for history properly. The spoilers thread is sooo tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

History and French tomorrow. Haven't even looked at French and I've only about 7 or 8 topics covered for history properly. The spoilers thread is sooo tempting.
    Had French last week and have to say it was a lovely paper :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

Had French last week and have to say it was a lovely paper :)

Thankfully I have an amazing French teacher so I'm not worried about French, the hour at lunch tomorrow should do me. History and I just have a bad relationship!

Thanks for the boost though! :)

Physics tomorrow for me! D=

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Maths Paper 2 tomorrow :( I know im going to fail and so does my teacher :( More than likely gonna have to drop to pass :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

My Maths Teacher said I did really well in paper 1 :D just have to do Paper 2 tomorrow, dreading it!

Had my Irish Paper 1 today and it went fairly well, considering how bad I usually am at essays. :P

Maths paper 2 went really well :D

The theme on English Paper 1 was ridiculous though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I hate the leaving cert :(

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Found This Fork Sir

Just started the mocks today! English paper 1 was grand, although my essay has to be the most depressing ever written :P DCG in the afternoon was horrible, we haven't the course finished though i guess :l

So much for an off-topic thread, I guess. :P

Fall Out Boy are back together! My first year self is jumping up and down with glee.. Also my sixth year self, as I never did grow out of them. Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

ITS SNOWING!

But I've to go to school and do pres instead :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Got to walk to school this morning in the snow. The sound of it crunching under your feet is amazing. Then it started snowing when I was about half way there and 't'was gorgeous. Unfortunately it had melted by the time I had to walk home again :(

Only in pass maths would you have to do a graph which goes up to 1.3 billion... :|

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

ray2012 wrote: »
    Only in pass maths would you have to do a graph which goes up to 1.3 billion... :|
    You can always scale that down can you? for example represent 1 billion for 2 graph squares and 1.1 Billion for 2 graph squares and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Anyone going to tomorrow land?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Methememb wrote: »
    Anyone going to tomorrow land?

If only it was so simple. I'm not into music, but I'd just love to go to such an event.

And these mocks are weird. I think I failed maths P1, but got an A in P2.

IT ALL DOESN'T MATTER THOUGH COS IT WAS SNOWING TODAY MORNING! That view woke me up better than a glass of water poured over my head :P .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Maths paper 1 was a disaster for me but paper 2 was grand, may have scraped a pass

Maths paper 1 was a disaster for me but paper 2 was grand, may have scraped a pass

PLEASE don't say that! :eek: Did your Paper 2 have
    a question about a box of chocolates?

I've my Paper 2 done and found it ok, dreading paper 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

kevin12345 wrote: »

PLEASE don't say that! :eek: Did your Paper 2 have
    a question about a box of chocolates?

I've my Paper 2 done and found it ok, dreading paper 1.

It did,

It did,

Crap. Wish I never asked. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

The LC's messing with me already. My default diet for these exams has basically consisted of bananas, Berocca, coffee and chewing gum (because of the horrible coffee aftertaste). The sleeping pattern has had one or two adjustments as well!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement