Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Slow Show wrote: »

Greaaaaat, 9 A's and a B, you?

I feel like I've typed this at least a hundred times in the last twenty-four hours. :p
    Ooh! Well done! Same as me so. What caught you out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Ooh! Well done! Same as me so. What caught you out?

Home Ec, to be expected. :p I'll never make a good housewife now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Everyone did so well, congrads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

]
    Genius!
    :D
    Ahh it's nice to have people finally realise!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Finally got sorted into proper classes today after the results, fairly happy with my teachers . . don't hate any of them anyway! :)

• Advertisement

Slow Show wrote: »
    Home Ec, to be expected. :p I'll never make a good housewife now...

Ah, ok. 'Twas Irish that got me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Ah, ok. 'Twas Irish that got me. :D

English got me :P Was surprised about English though.. had to ruin it :P

We'll be put into our classes tomorrow. My current maths teacher told me we aren't being streamed this year so it's mixed ability. Not sure how I feel about that tbh. So long as I have a good teacher and people who are willing to learn in my class I don't mind. I really hope I get the teachers I want, especially for English because I really do not want the other two. Here's to tomorrow :pac:

English got me :P Was surprised about English though.. had to ruin it :P

We'll be put into our classes tomorrow. My current maths teacher told me we aren't being streamed this year so it's mixed ability. Not sure how I feel about that tbh. So long as I have a good teacher and people who are willing to learn in my class I don't mind. I really hope I get the teachers I want, especially for English because I really do not want the other two. Here's to tomorrow :pac:
    Mixed ability maths?! My higher honours class is 20 pages ahead of the lower honours after 2 weeks! It really should be streamed.

Mixed ability maths?! My higher honours class is 20 pages ahead of the lower honours after 2 weeks! It really should be streamed.

Yep, that's how it has been for the past two weeks. I had the good maths teacher (the other is new, not sure what he is like) but apparently we are way ahead of the other class. We move quite fast to get the course done though so I really really hope I have the same teacher!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Our Physics teacher is genuinely the worst teacher ever. After making us draw ray diagrams for weeks and not explaining a thing about light, she gave us a test on the full section, and then failed my paper, and only mine, for no reason.

What.

Never forget the first time you fail a test, I suppose :L

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Lads is anyone else doing economics? Whatre yee doing in it? Coz like we're reading parts of the book but we're not taking notes, only getting loads and loads of definitions called out to us (not in the book, well that ive come across) for us to learn but like, the exam cant be all definitions can it? :confused: Like we dont even do exercises, its all very odd and just includes the teacher talking for 40mins..

Colm! wrote: »
    Our Physics teacher is genuinely the worst teacher ever. After making us draw ray diagrams for weeks and not explaining a thing about light, she gave us a test on the full section, and then failed my paper, and only mine, for no reason.

What.

Never forget the first time you fail a test, I suppose :L
    We have this test tomorrow and while the teacher is ****e, she doesn't sound as bad as yours. She can't explain anything beyond the book though.

deise_girl wrote: »
    Lads is anyone else doing economics? Whatre yee doing in it? Coz like we're reading parts of the book but we're not taking notes, only getting loads and loads of definitions called out to us (not in the book, well that ive come across) for us to learn but like, the exam cant be all definitions can it? :confused: Like we dont even do exercises, its all very odd and just includes the teacher talking for 40mins..

Were told to mark definitions in the book, and highlight stuff, and then write down everything for HW. But our teacher said none of the stuff we are doing is important until we get about 5 chapters in. So we should be doing more complicated stuff on Monday when we start demand.

We have this test tomorrow and while the teacher is ****e, she doesn't sound as bad as yours. She can't explain anything beyond the book though.

I hate my physics teacher, and she dont like me much, but shes a decent teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

decisions wrote: »
    I hate my physics teacher, and she dont like me much, but shes a decent teacher.

My physics teacher is a massive ledge :D

"Did you know there's a particle faster than light?"

"No sir"

"It goes backwards in time"

"Actually, that's not techincally true, it goes forwards in reverse time, It's called a tachyon"

MINDFCUKED.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

decisions wrote: »
    Were told to mark definitions in the book, and highlight stuff, and then write down everything for HW. But our teacher said none of the stuff we are doing is important until we get about 5 chapters in. So we should be doing more complicated stuff on Monday when we start demand.

Ahh okay, we're only on chapter 4 now, and we did an economics module last year in TY and it seems to be grand nuff stuff but like I was wondering what this whole no questions is about, gonna get the workbook out myself if he doesnt start with them by chapter 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Getting burdened under homework every night.

Just remember, when ye are all enjoying your days off, I'll be in school doing flame tests... >.<

Flame tests > free time tbh >.>

the flame tests are great. i wanted to put two wooden splints with two different salts on each to see if they'd react and my friend was like, 'no, they might explode!!!' so i didn't but i asked my teacher after the class and it turns out they would have gone completely different colours. p. cool.

the flame tests are great. i wanted to put two wooden splints with two different salts on each to see if they'd react and my friend was like, 'no, they might explode!!!' so i didn't but i asked my teacher after the class and it turns out they would have gone completely different colours. p. cool.
    I did that but with strontium and barium at the same time. It was very cool.

Words cannot describe how mad and upset I am with my teachers.. Today was such a bad day, have a really bad headache so I'm going to bed now as I've quite a busy weekend ahead of me :/

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

Careers classes are so depressing... :/ I'll never be able to decide what to do with my life...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

Hey guyss :D

I'm doing physics in private oustide school (H.L) and I was just wondering if there were any good revision books for experiments and solving problems..:) (websites would also be great)

I took grinds but I'm not fully satisfied with it..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

I'll never be able to decide what to do with my life...

You and me both. I get asked what I want to do in college practically every day, and every day I give another answer... physics? law? maths? computer science?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DermotOH

Thinking of dropping to OL Irish
    These poems are already killing me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

DermotOH wrote: »
    Thinking of dropping to OL Irish
    These poems are already killing me
    I was sure that I was going to completely hate Irish but I'm actually not. I'm fairly sure that it's because of the teacher that I've ended up with because she's absolutely amazing and comes out with the funniest things at times in order to get into our heads that we're in 5th year now and really have to start working. In short I'm loving me my Irish poetry, <3 "Geibheann".

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

I was sure that I was going to completely hate Irish but I'm actually not. I'm fairly sure that it's because of the teacher that I've ended up with because she's absolutely amazing and comes out with the funniest things at times in order to get into our heads that we're in 5th year now and really have to start working. In short I'm loving me my Irish poetry, <3 "Geibheann".

Ahh , "Geibheann" lovely, just lovely. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭conorburke2011

Guys I need help! I'm doing two ordinary level subjects (Irish and Maths) and I really want to pick up another subject to make up for points- but I don't know which! And I need to choose A.S.A.P! I know no subject is an "easy A" but do you guys reccommend anything? Im doing English, Irish, Maths, French, Music, Business and Geography. Was thinking of taking up something like religion or classical studies? Any suggestions? What subjects do you think require less work than others and are more manageable outside school? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

religion

Oh god no. Potentially one of the largest and most intricate Leaving Cert courses around.

I'd recommend Economics, especially considering that your studying Business anyway. Relatively short course and you'll be able to grasp it fairly quickly. Hope it helps.

Guys I need help! I'm doing two ordinary level subjects (Irish and Maths) and I really want to pick up another subject to make up for points- but I don't know which! And I need to choose A.S.A.P! I know no subject is an "easy A" but do you guys reccommend anything? Im doing English, Irish, Maths, French, Music, Business and Geography. Was thinking of taking up something like religion or classical studies? Any suggestions? What subjects do you think require less work than others and are more manageable outside school? Thanks!
    This might be of some use. Flick through it and see which subjects have the highest A1 percentages and make a decision based on that.

I'd say avoid classical studies anyway. While I've heard it is an easy subject as well, based on result statistics, those statements are miles wide of the mark. Close to 5 times more people got an E in the subject than those who got an A1 this year. This year, at higher level, 1.5% got an A1, whereas 7.3% got an E. In the last 3 years, the highest amount of A1's was 3.7%. Go figure.

The only subjects which received more than 10% A1's for LC2011 are Russian(67.4%), Latin(26.9%), Italian(14.6%), App. Maths (14.9%), Japanese(13.9%), Phy-Chem(12.9%), , Chemistry (11.4%).

Consider that most of those languages are taken by people who speak the language natively. And you aren't going to want to do Applied Maths if you are only doing OL Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Never mind school, ALL-IRELAND TOMORROW :) yearly pilgramige to croker starts at 6am!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ArchiCathal

I'm doing Design and Communication Graphics, History, Geography and French (and the obvious 3 core subjects), all higher level, liking everything so far. Does anyone know any shops in Dublin that have Active Maths HL Book 2 for 2013 in stock?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement