Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

And (as long as you are not crawling through it, I would assume that's bad) less general conversation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

decisions wrote: »
    My teacher says 4 min? Which seems long to me?

When I was in Irish college last Summer they got a Oral examiner in to talk to use and give us some pointers for the exam, she did say 4 minutes altogether including questions, and that the biggest problem they've been having is that people are going way over that and like 1 minute extra or so per person adds up in the end, and that examiners will most likely start getting strict this year, in that they might even start cutting people off from their account if more than 3 minutes have passed (and they're not reasonably close to the finish) and just get them to start on the questions! Which I think is terrible cause it's really put me off if they did that!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Is there a timer or something in the exam so we know how long we are spending??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

If you go over the time set out for them (4 mins as far as I know) you'll be deducting time from your comhra so yeah you could get 80/80 but you'd lose marks in the comhra which is not what you want. This is what my teacher told me who does the orals but still, open to correction. Although I'd make an effort to draw it out for 4 mins, I know I speak very quickly so I could have some down in 2.30ish but better to aim for 4 if you don't want a painfully long comhra.

That could all be really wrong though! But it's what I heard anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Jade. wrote: »
    My teacher said it takes about 6 minutes in the real thing

6 minutes? :eek: I think that's a little too much time for the SP? I'm timing myself here and I'm getting in between 2:45 - 3:15 (excluding the questions). It will take a minute maybe for the questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

ray2012 wrote: »

6 minutes? :eek: I think that's a little too much time for the SP? I'm timing myself here and I'm getting in between 2:45 - 3:15 (excluding the questions). It will take a minute maybe for the questions.
    I thought that too but she said when she's examining it people take a minute to look over it 3-4 minutes for the talking and another minute for the questions.

When I time myself I'm always about 2 and a half minutes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Is it a minute you get to look at it before you start? In my practice oral with a real examiner he gave me 30 seconds. And I add it is a painful 30 seconds, I'd rather just get straight into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Oh yeah I forgot about the time to look over it before saying it! :P
    It's around 30 seconds, there isn't really a set time. I dread those 30 seconds though! All I do be thinking is ''Ok just remember the first sentence''..

Brownie in a mug *drools*

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

decisions wrote: »
    Brownie in a mug *drools*

I've been in the mood for something chocolatey, thanks for the inspiration :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Here lads what can do if you've no motivation/hate most of the subjects and not interested in studying them? Got accepted into a PLC and its looking mighty attractive right now.

I've been in the mood for something chocolatey, thanks for the inspiration :)
    They're an addiction of mine :O

I don't even have the motivation to clean nevermind say study :P

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

i actually cant be bothered to do anything... :/

Same. My friend is dragging me to the library tomorrow to study but even then I probably won't!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I don't even have the motivation to clean nevermind say study :P

Ironically I always find I've the most motivation for cleaning when I've no motivation for study ;)

Also on the topic of sraithpictiurí we ended up doing the 2000 aural there last Friday cause our teache had run out of others to give us an in one of the concersations one guy describes perfectly the story in the first sraithpictiur, all about having an accident during his driving because he was waving to someone on the side of the road! What he also said though was that he was very embarrassed cause he found out that the girl was waving at her father in the car in front rather than him!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BarrySeoighe

Does anyone have any good Art History notes? or constructions studies notes? i can trade Engineering notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

peekachoo wrote: »
    Same. My friend is dragging me to the library tomorrow to study but even then I probably won't!
    I wish i was given specific work to do but all our teachers said to do was study!! I can't even bring myself to read over oral notes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lord Ned Stark

did a small bit today finding it very hard considering was given no specific work for easter which i found surprising considering last year i had about 3 months worth of stuff to do( im a repeat)! :)
    just gave up after a while tbh more interested in working on my blog tbh! did anyone check it out? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I wish i was given specific work to do but all our teachers said to do was study!! I can't even bring myself to read over oral notes!!
    I got like 5 English essays to do! I haven't done anything at all today, just don't feel like it but I really need to :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

did a small bit today finding it very hard considering was given no specific work for easter which i found surprising considering last year i had about 3 months worth of stuff to do( im a repeat)! :)
    just gave up after a while tbh more interested in working on my blog tbh! did anyone check it out? :)

Link?

Ironically I always find I've the most motivation for cleaning when I've no motivation for study ;)
    Wish that was the case for me I decided to clean because I thought it would motivate me to study but nah now I have half my room on my bed... :P

Does anyone have any good Art History notes? or constructions studies notes? i can trade Engineering notes.

The most popular Art book on the market is very good, I use it over my teachers notes! :)

Either did we! My friend is making me practice oral tomorrow :P

Ps sorry for the double posting, blame my phone :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lord Ned Stark

The most popular Art book on the market is very good, I use it over my teachers notes! :)
    That the Red one your taking about? Appreciating art? Art history kills my art grade

That the Red one your taking about? Appreciating art? Art history kills my art grade
    yeah! But I only use it combined with my teachers notes. Because some of her notes are excellent and then some aren't so good.
    I got an A on the pre paper. But my appreciation question brings me down, I got like 35/50 whereas in the first two questions I got 48/50 and 50/50.

Any good appreciation notes around? :)

Fuse taken out of TV, laptop charger put in garage (battery is fully charged, about 6 hours use in it) and my phone is next to go.

I really need to get a lot done befor the end of the break :(

yeah! But I only use it combined with my teachers notes. Because some of her notes are excellent and then some aren't so good.
    I got an A on the pre paper. But my appreciation question brings me down, I got like 35/50 whereas in the first two questions I got 48/50 and 50/50.

Any good appreciation notes around? :)
    My teacher doesn't give us any notes she's useless! The only thing we have is sample answers on a gallery visit. I decided to use the mocks thread for my pre cause I didn't have a clue and everything I found in that for the paper wasn't even on it so I got 38% :P Luckily it was the only exam I used it for.

I would love to be getting that in my history because Im always around a B1 with everything else

• Advertisement

My teacher doesn't give us any notes she's useless! The only thing we have is sample answers on a gallery visit. I decided to use the mocks thread for my pre cause I didn't have a clue and everything I found in that for the paper wasn't even on it so I got 38% :P Luckily it was the only exam I used it for.

I would love to be getting that in my history because Im always around a B1 with everything else

So what artists have you covered? I can send you a few if you'd like :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement