Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

RML wrote: »
    Hey guyss :D

I'm doing physics in private oustide school (H.L) and I was just wondering if there were any good revision books for experiments and solving problems..:) (websites would also be great)

I took grinds but I'm not fully satisfied with it..:(

I am doing physics and I find that youtube is amazing for experiments if I don't understand (my teacher isn't very good...) and you should definitely check out thephysicsteacher.ie -- it's fantastic for notes and stuff! And as regards revision books, I got the less stress more success book last week and so far, it seems good. My applied maths teacher wrote the Rapid Revision physics book and if it's anything like his actual teaching then it must be good but I haven't gotten that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DermotOH

I was sure that I was going to completely hate Irish but I'm actually not. I'm fairly sure that it's because of the teacher that I've ended up with because she's absolutely amazing and comes out with the funniest things at times in order to get into our heads that we're in 5th year now and really have to start working. In short I'm loving me my Irish poetry, <3 "Geibheann".

doing that poem now.. not so much <3

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Is anybody else been drowned in English? I only have it 3 times a week but it's killing me as it's not my strongest subject!

Also how is everybody going about learning the Macbeth quotes? I wrote down all the ones our teacher asked us to highlight onto A4 sheets to stick into my folder and then 'translated' it underneath it. Anybody else done something similar or is this pointless?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭FYG

Is anybody else been drowned in English? I only have it 3 times a week but it's killing me as it's not my strongest subject!

How come you only have English three times a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

FYG wrote: »
    How come you only have English three times a week?

Well we've 3 different teachers to cover different parts of the paper
    Tuesday we have a single period with one teacher
    Wednesday a double with a different teacher
    Thursday another double with another teacher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

I am doing physics and I find that youtube is amazing for experiments if I don't understand (my teacher isn't very good...) and you should definitely check out thephysicsteacher.ie -- it's fantastic for notes and stuff! And as regards revision books, I got the less stress more success book last week and so far, it seems good. My applied maths teacher wrote the Rapid Revision physics book and if it's anything like his actual teaching then it must be good but I haven't gotten that one.

Thanks alot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Have done no homework so far this weekend, my love of sport has overtaken lazyness as the reason I am going to fail my Leaving

All Ireland Champions 2011:D

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

gowann dubs!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

We were subject to Molly Malone being blasted over the school PA system during break today. Our principal is from Dublin. It was hiralious! :P

Jackobyte wrote: »
    We were subject to Molly Malone being blasted over the school PA system during break today. Our principal is from Dublin. It was hiralious! :P

We had that on Friday :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

The ante has been upped since results which is graaaand since it was moving far too slowly before, but my brain hurts. So so much to do tonight....coming on the internet to look up stuff for French...indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

the sheer lack of decent-quality physics notes on these corners of the internet disappoints me: leaving my physics book in school has clearly been a bad choice.

Our physics teacher was in school today, in fact I saw her at the start of the pyhsics class, yet we had no teacher for physics and had to do homework in that time.

WHAT.

lf physics grinds.

Currently doing the weekends homework and it seems that my french teacher has disappeared. All good.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭FYG

Colm! wrote: »
    the sheer lack of decent-quality physics notes on these corners of the internet disappoints me: leaving my physics book in school has clearly been a bad choice.

Try here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Bookmarked. I've also found in the last five minutes that YouTube is an absolutely AMAZING resource...

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

FYG wrote: »

+1

Bookmarked. I've also found in the last five minutes that YouTube is an absolutely AMAZING resource...

Problem is it is so easy to get distracted...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

decisions wrote: »
    We had that on Friday :pac:

But you're from Dublin, whereas I'm from Limerick. It would be someway expected in Dublin...

Jackobyte wrote: »
    But you're from Dublin, whereas I'm from Limerick. It would be someway expected in Dublin...

Yes but none of the teachers in my school wanted Dublin to win.

I found that out last week - Youtube is AMAZING for experiments...check out this guy: http://www.youtube.com/user/freelanceteach

Some of his videos for physics explanations are fantastic and this guy as well:

http://www.youtube.com/user/c4science#p/u

He is alright...the thing I like about him is that he has filmed his students doing most of the experiments on the Leaving cert course. But yeah :/ just thought I'd share that bit of information with everybody :)

• Advertisement

Khan Academy is class for maths stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

Anyone go 'ploughin' today? (laaaawd) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

So out of curiosity, what's everyone else doing? I'm just doing homework and I'd study for a test but that's the extent of it, can't help but feel like I should be doing more....

Or perhaps I'm over-reacting, September of 5th year like. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

5 free classes today, nothing to do now :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I dont suppose anyone could help me with this.. I know yee just linked a maths website but I couldnt find them/didnt know what to type in to search

If α(alpha) and β(beta) are the roots of the equation 2x(squared) -4x +5 = 0 find the equation whose roots are: 3α + 3β

Test tomorrow so I should probs learn these things... Merci beaucoup!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 DanielC95

well obviously you know that α(alpha) + β(beta) = -b/a = -(-4)/2 = 2
    and α(alpha) β(beta) = c/a = 5/2 or 2 1/2

sum of the roots! is it 3a+3b = 3(a+b) = 3(2) = 6

product of the roots! is it 3a x 3b = 6ab = 6(2 1/2) = 15

equation = x^ - x(6) + x(15) = 0

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ciara95

Had three tests today: english, business and maths. The maths one was easy and it was HL so I was delighted:)
    Started night study today too. It was great, I got all my homework done and some extra, and some study :) It was so good to come home at 7.10 and not have to think about homework/ study. Anyone else doing night study?

French teacher out for the next 2 weeks :mad: So we have some numpty of a sub :mad::(:mad::(:mad: who is French and her English is rubbish and her accent is so hard to understand. All we did today was listen to songs in French and fill in the gaps in the lyrics :mad:

ciara95 wrote: »
    Had three tests today: english, business and maths. The maths one was easy and it was HL so I was delighted:)
    Started night study today too. It was great, I got all my homework done and some extra, and some study :) It was so good to come home at 7.10 and not have to think about homework/ study. Anyone else doing night study?

Nah only run for 3rd, 6th year in my school.

• Advertisement

decisions wrote: »

Nah only run for 3rd, 6th year in my school.

Same :)

As a matter of interest, how much study is everybody doing (if any!) at the weekends and in the evenings? I can't help but feel I should be doing more than I am doing! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement