Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

If you get an E in maths, can you still get into level 8 courses or is it game over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

decisions wrote: »
    I've been like a zombie since 12, so I've got nothing done.

I dunno why but when you said that I started thinking of zombie invasions and what I would as my "plan of action" :P
    Yep....I'm weird :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

deise_girl wrote: »
    If you get an E in maths, can you still get into level 8 courses or is it game over?

You will get the pass, so you have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

ray2012 wrote: »
    Can anyone who does accountancy help me out with these two workings, as in, tell me what to do with them? :P

From a company account (Q1) - ''During the year, stock which had cost €5,000 was destroyed by fire. The Insurance Company agreed to pay compensation of €4,000. The loss is to be treated as a separate item in the profit and loss account.'' Is all you do here put the €1,000 loss into the P+L ?

From a sole trader account (Q1) - ''Goods with a retail selling price of €8,400 were returned to a supplier. The selling price was cost plus 20%. The supplier issued a credit note showing a restocking charge of 10% of the cost price. No entry has been made in respect of this restocking charge.'' I'm clueless on that one!

I haven't done company or sole trader accounts since the middle of 5th year so I'm completely winging this but this is what I'm thinking:

For the company a/c should you put the loss in as €1000 like you said and then take €4000 from stock?

As for the sole trader: 8400 is the cost plus profit, so the cost is 6720. Restocking charge is 672. This means that you owe the creditor 7728 less instead of 8400 less (8400 - 672). Your purchases has now gone down by 8400 ( I'm no sure if this should be 6720 :L) due to purchases returns. I'm pretty sure that there's more to it than that......

decisions wrote: »
    You will get the pass, so you have nothing to worry about.

Haha appreciate your optimism, but it'd put my mind more at ease if I thought there was a plan B.. :pac:

• Advertisement

deise_girl wrote: »

You'll be forced to flee the country for fear of your life.

Oh wait, that could be a problem for you...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Can anyone who does accountancy help me out with these two workings, as in, tell me what to do with them? :P

From a company account (Q1) - ''During the year, stock which had cost €5,000 was destroyed by fire. The Insurance Company agreed to pay compensation of €4,000. The loss is to be treated as a separate item in the profit and loss account.'' Is all you do here put the €1,000 loss into the P+L ?

From a sole trader account (Q1) - ''Goods with a retail selling price of €8,400 were returned to a supplier. The selling price was cost plus 20%. The supplier issued a credit note showing a restocking charge of 10% of the cost price. No entry has been made in respect of this restocking charge.'' I'm clueless on that one!

1. The insurance hasn't paid out yet so you need to put 4000 in current assets. Then you put the loss due to fire in P&L (1000) and take 5000 away from purchases. You don't adjust closing stock because CS is the amount f stock you have at the end of the year.

2. The cost price is 7000. You need to adjust for the restocking charge as the returns were already entered. So you get the 10% of 7000, which is 700 and add it to purchases and creditors because the charge increases the amount that you owe.

I'm pretty sure that's right but it's been a while since I've done them! If you have any questions, just ask. I'd also recommend Revise Wise Accounting, it is really good and explains all the adjustments! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

I hate maths so much, it's my only O.L subject, and still I get humongous amounts of homework in it, and have to put in lots of work to achieve ANYTHING. I wish some day you will be freely allowed to choose the 6 subjects you want to do. It's not like this gay(no offense to anyone whos gay) differentiation or algebra will help me in life.

Us. O.L students should get 50 points extra for even attempting it.

Right, I'm off to start my Complex numbers worksheet.

You'll be forced to flee the country for fear of your life.

Oh wait, that could be a problem for you...:P

It only gets worse and worse :'(

But Im only just after realising, its not necessarily an entry requirement for level 8s, provided ive other honours and eng/irish etc I could actually be going to college regardless O:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Thank ye both for yer help! :P

I have the revise wise book but it doesn't explain similar adjustments to the ones I was stuck on, I don't think. I really hope it's a manufacturing account that comes up in June, it's the only Q1 we've been practicing a lot really..

PS: I don't know how to multiquote -__-

• Advertisement

Thank ye both for yer help! :P

I have the revise wise book but it doesn't explain similar adjustments to the ones I was stuck on, I don't think. I really hope it's a manufacturing account that comes up in June, it's the only Q1 we've been practicing a lot really..

PS: I don't know how to multiquote -__-

:O nobody I know liked manufacturing.. Or departmental! I think I would have a mini meltdown if manufacturing or departmental came up.. I hate them so much! Speaking of accounting, I should actually do some study for it sometime :P

Departmental ones aren't too bad but the rest of them are horrific for me. I'm debating if I should just ignore Q1s completely. 60 markers all the way: Control, depreciation, published, tabular <3<3

Departmental ones aren't too bad but the rest of them are horrific for me. I'm debating if I should just ignore Q1s completely. 60 markers all the way: Control, depreciation, published, tabular <3<3

Q1s are easy enough once you get the hang of them as the adjustments are generally the same! But if you are good at the other questions and feel more comfortable doing them they would be the wiser choice. We spent so long doing final accounts I presumed everyone did them in the exam :P

Q1s are easy enough once you get the hang of them as the adjustments are generally the same! But if you are good at the other questions and feel more comfortable doing them they would be the wiser choice. We spent so long doing final accounts I presumed everyone did them in the exam :P

We're the complete opposite, we haven't done any final accounts in a year! The 60 markers are the same story aswell, the same stuff repeats every year. Some of them come up in the next section aswell so if you've learned the 60s really well you're half way there.

I don't even know what departmental accounts are? :O We just did Company, manufacture and sole trader? We only do the Q1 option (so we don't do the other 2 q's)

I don't like the manufacturing, but I find it the easiest out of the 3! Only got 48/120 in my mock on it... :O

You like the published A/C ?! :eek:

I was sitting in my mock exam, had the interpretation done and had one more question from section B to do. I had the choice of the correction of errors or the published account.. I barely knew the published account layout, and hadn't a clue of the correction of errors... It went horrible. :rolleyes:

You like the published A/C ?! :eek:

I was sitting in my mock exam, had the interpretation done and had one more question from section B to do. I had the choice of the correction of errors or the published account.. I barely knew the published account layout, and hadn't a clue of the correction of errors... It went horrible. :rolleyes:
    I love published! I got 91/100 in the mock. Interpretation was a shambles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I've never understood how people can like one Q1 and not another, I mean bar a few things they're practically the same thing. Like I wouldn't lose any sleep over which one comes up, though I suspect it'll be Sole Trader. That's just me being ignorant though. :p

I don't mind anything really, I really do kinda love Accounting, but Published takes so long with those notes as well. We never did any 60 markers that don't come up as 100 markers but yeah, I'd be so so happy if Club/Services and Tabs came up but the former is highly unlikely:(. I refuse to do Interpretation, like I just never seem to get over 85 in it no matter what I wrote so I'll have to hope that I like the other two that come up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I don't even know what departmental accounts are? :O We just did Company, manufacture and sole trader? We only do the Q1 option (so we don't do the other 2 q's)

I don't like the manufacturing, but I find it the easiest out of the 3! Only got 48/120 in my mock on it... :O

Departmentals are final accounts that have only ever come up at OL, my teacher says there's too much arithmetic and not enough time to have hard enough workings for HL so it's very unlikely that they'll ever appear on a HL paper but we did them just in case. Mightn't hurt to have a look over them though, what with this whole unpredictability thing the powers that be are trying out.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lord Ned Stark

mixery wrote: »
    Well done and good luck in the future. I've been running a blog (kinda) for like a week a few years ago, but gave up pretty soon. If you're bored you can take a look - http://mixeryie.skyrock.com/ . I was thinking about running a soccer blog(or something on youtube with friends) but the idea never materialised. From what I'm seeing, nowadays running a succesfull blog can be a good way to get you into journalism.

thanks :) had a look you should have kept it up :) yeah i was thinking of running a separate football blog just wasn't sure whether to keep it club based or on soccer as a whole you should give it a go!

that is i am hoping tbh my real dream is to be a physio but at some stage give journalism a go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lord Ned Stark

I only update my blog sporadically. When I started it a few months ago I was fully intended on updating it every week but that never worked out so it's turned into more of a once a month kind of job. Although I did put a really long post on it last night.

I looked at your blog and thought it was really interesting! :) i take it you are really good at English in school? your writing style was something that really caught my eye! Your post about the LC was brilliant! keep it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

I looked at your blog and thought it was really interesting! :) i take it you are really good at English in school? your writing style was something that really caught my eye! Your post about the LC was brilliant! keep it up :)

Where do i find his blog?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

MUST. STOP. PROSCRASTINATING.
    On a side note, how has everyone's break been so far? :)

Useless, got some maths hw done but havent started on english yet.... and learning vocab for irish is like an aul fella trying to get the ride, I desperately want it to go in but it just won't! And you try and you try but it is no use... There is no life in this old dog.... and as the seanfhocal says "bíonn an fhírinne searbh" but that is how my easter has gone.

I've had 2 productive days. The rest were totally wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

I have four english essays that need to be written, and I've started none!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Glee_GG wrote: »
    I have four english essays that need to be written, and I've started none!

You are not alone

HugsiePie wrote: »
    You are not alone

Good to see other people in the same boat, thought it was just me with my procrastination :P

I'm pretty sure all the regular posters on here procrastinate big time.

• Advertisement

Oh ya is it normal to go a full two days without opening a school book?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement