Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

have to say the ballinasloe lads are some craic! I presume your in garbally?

Haha that's us sure! Yeah not for long more thankfully! :p

oh dear... would you not like to do something with your life? I dunno maybe become a geologist, journalist or maybe a psychologist? Or are you a sheep willing to be another pawn in somebody's master plan....go to school, become a teacher, marry someone you can tolerate, have 2 children, die.

While I admire the sustainability of your planned family management I must warn you "this is your life and it's ending one minute at a time"

I don't know if that's joking or not but if not it's a little harsh! :eek:
    I hate when people say what I have in bold. So degrading!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lord Ned Stark

ray2012 wrote: »
    Haha that's us sure! Yeah not for long more thankfully! :p

what courses are you looking at? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

While I admire the sustainability of your planned family management I must warn you "this is your life and it's ending one minute at a time"

It's sad that you quoted Fight Club, really sad.

what courses are you looking at? :)

I'm fairly set on studying applied languages in UL! What about you? I'll probably have arts in NUIG down second, but I feel confident I'll get the points necessary for UL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

This is why I hate people asking me. I've had that kind of a reaction too many times: "Would you not do science", "Arts!With your brains?!", "Ah you're not serious", "Well you've still got the change of mind anyway"

My brother told me that he'd disown me as well.

I'm fairly set on studying applied languages in UL! What about you? I'll probably have arts in NUIG down second, but I feel confident I'll get the points necessary for UL.

one of my best friends is in her 2nd year in that course in UL and is heading off to France in the summer for it! As long as you put in the work any points are achievable! I have physio down in UCD first but I think il change it to UL

This is why I hate people asking me. I've had that kind of a reaction too many times: "Would you not do science", "Arts!With your brains?!", "Ah you're not serious", "Well you've still got the change of mind anyway"

I apologise for asking I didn't think anyone in here was that small minded and inconsiderate! Most of our teachers would have done arts and honestly the smartest person I probably will ever meet did arts and there is nothing wrong with it! Its your choice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

That's ridiculous. Why would you do a course you don't want just because "you have the brains?"
    Sure if someone got 625 and decided they wanted to do hotel management (200ish points) if they're happy, who cares?
    Do what you want, even if you're not "doing something with your life" (apparently). Don't let narrow mindedness put you off!

one of my best friends is in her 2nd year in that course in UL and is heading off to France in the summer for it! As long as you put in the work any points are achievable! I have physio down in UCD first but I think il change it to UL

Ah class! The course suits me perfectly to be honest! Exactly, that's the way I'm thinking. :p Ooo that's a lot of points, I'd say?! Fair play, hope you get it! I might see you in UL next year you never know!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Arts bashing has never ended well on this forum, ever. Let's just not go there.

Ah class! The course suits me perfectly to be honest! Exactly, that's the way I'm thinking. :p Ooo that's a lot of points, I'd say?! Fair play, hope you get it! I might see you in UL next year you never know!

she loves the course and UL so its all good for you :) that's the truth of it honestly :) yeah 560 got 530 last year so hopefully :) thanks I appreciate it :) iv we both make it we should :)

I would love to go to Trinity though at the same time. The original reason I didn't put it down was because you can't do English and Geography in their TSM but I'm not overly keen on geography anymore, the more study I put into it the less I'm liking it :L English and psychology sounds appealing, points are 580 though.

she loves the course and UL so its all good for you :) that's the truth of it honestly :) yeah 560 got 530 last year so hopefully :) thanks I appreciate it :) iv we both make it we should :)

Ah you'll surely get it this year then! Good luck with it! Can't wait for next year..!

I would love to go to Trinity though at the same time. The original reason I didn't put it down was because you can't do English and Geography in their TSM but I'm not overly keen on geography anymore, the more study I put into it the less I'm liking it :L English and psychology sounds appealing, points are 580 though.

two girls from my class last year went to trinity and are staying in trinity halls and love it! 580? My god you must be studying like a lunatic :P geography can be a torturous subject at times but I still love it :)

Ah you'll surely get it this year then! Good luck with it! Can't wait for next year..!

hopefully I missed an awful amount of school last year! Thanks you too :) me either just for all this to be over and to do things I want :)

two girls from my class last year went to trinity and are staying in trinity halls and love it! 580? My god you must be studying like a lunatic :P geography can be a torturous subject at times but I still love it :)

My brother who said he'd disown me graduated from Trinity in October and has started his phd there too He stayed in halls for his first 2 years as well. He came home last week and kept raving about the Trinity Ball that's on tonight every time a song came on the radio by someone who's playing at it. He loves the place!

I've only been thinking about it for the last day or so and I am likely to change my mind again! My original Maynooth target was only 370 for Arts but then 525 for a scholarship so 580 is waaaaay above both of them unfortunately :(

Looks like I'll really have to get my ass into gear just in case I have a change of mind!

My brother who said he'd disown me graduated from Trinity in October and has started his phd there too He stayed in halls for his first 2 years as well. He came home last week and kept raving about the Trinity Ball that's on tonight every time a song came on the radio by someone who's playing at it. He loves the place!

I've only been thinking about it for the last day or so and I am likely to change my mind again! My original Maynooth target was only 370 for Arts but then 525 for a scholarship so 580 is waaaaay above both of them unfortunately :(

Looks like I'll really have to get my ass into gear just in case I have a change of mind!

The bands playing there tonight are unreal! I looked at trinity but didn't have the subjects for physio there! That's the worst thing about all this its so hard to decide what to do and picking a college :/ its still achievable though 9 weeks is plenty of time if you make the sacrifices and put in the hours :) do you do honours maths?

The bands playing there tonight are unreal! I looked at trinity but didn't have the subjects for physio there! That's the worst thing about all this its so hard to decide what to do and picking a college :/ its still achievable though 9 weeks is plenty of time if you make the sacrifices and put in the hours :) do you do honours maths?

Yep. Even though it's slowly torturing me I can't give up those bonus points.

I've just calculated my estimated points and I'm hitting 580 on the dot. I may as well be aiming for medicine!

Yep. Even though it's slowly torturing me I can't give up those bonus points.

I've just calculated my estimated points and I'm hitting 580 on the dot. I may as well be aiming for medicine!

its worth it in the end makes a huge difference :) I know its such an ask hitting those levels but it all depends on the day as well! If you can focus and get a bit of luck it could happen :)

• Advertisement

its worth it in the end makes a huge difference :) I know its such an ask hitting those levels but it all depends on the day as well! If you can focus and get a bit of luck it could happen :)

Hopefully now. :)

Knowing me though, I'll have abandoned the idea completely by Monday. I do it the whole time, I think about something for a few days and then decide it's not for me.

Hopefully now. :)

Knowing me though, I'll have abandoned the idea completely by Monday. I do it the whole time, I think about something for a few days and then decide it's not for me.

haha that's normal though at this age im lucky I have an extra year to decide we are way too young to make a decision as this! We have been in school most of our lives im not sure how we are actually supposed to know what we want to do!

haha that's normal though at this age im lucky I have an extra year to decide we are way too young to make a decision as this! We have been in school most of our lives im not sure how we are actually supposed to know what we want to do!

I suppose someone has to make the decision for us though! May as well be ourselves.

I suppose someone has to make the decision for us though! May as well be ourselves.

I just think the career guidance provided is poor all round! Were you happy with your mocks ? :) are you a big GAA fan btw? Seen your post earlier :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Amlin Semi in the RDS the weekend after the orals sounds like a plan :D

I just think the career guidance provided is poor all round! Were you happy with your mocks ? :) are you a big GAA fan btw? Seen your post earlier :)

I've been to career guidance once. We were supposed to meet a second time but she never turned up :L The one time we did meet I mentioned English ans started going on about journalism: "Now it's a very hard industry to get into unless you have connections. Do you know Veronica Guerin's story? Now you don't want to end up like that" Safe to say I never went looking for her when she never turned up!

I do love me a spot of GAA :) I haven't been to a game all season though :( Can't believe we've got promotion to division 1! Everyone thought we'd be relegated straight back down to division 3 but we're the only team not to have lost a match.

I've been to career guidance once. We were supposed to meet a second time but she never turned up :L The one time we did meet I mentioned English ans started going on about journalism: "Now it's a very hard industry to get into unless you have connections. Do you know Veronica Guerin's story? Now you don't want to end up like that" Safe to say I never went looking for her when she never turned up!

I do love me a spot of GAA :) I haven't been to a game all season though :( Can't believe we've got promotion to division 1! Everyone thought we'd be relegated straight back down to division 3 but we're the only team not to have lost a match.

haha brilliant :L they just seem to stay on topic! My one was three hours and she focused on my 10th choice on the CAO and doing PLCs! I told her physio was number one her response was oh have you not considered teaching? I just dont understand them :P

must be some buzz for the county that's some achievement! Iv been to a couple of games but mostly club ones! Ye will have to back it up in leinster now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

My career guidance teacher brought in a women from UCC and told her I didn't know how to work the UCC website so I had to sit awkwardly while she tried to figure it out herself and pretend it was all new to me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

My careers teacher told a load of people in my year "have you got a PLC because you'll never get the points for that" and last year she told someone not to bother with the Cao, she ended up with 400 points and got her dream course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I've a dreadful career guidance teacher, so I went off to a private guy, who admittedly was expensive bet he was good! Like he was much more focused and gave me his real undivided attention and talked about proper courses that you might want to do rather than some miserable "backups" that you'd have zero interest in and would probably drop out of after a few months anyway.

The career guidance in school spends all her time attending to those who want to go to PLC's and trying to encourage the rest to do PLC's, I understand the need for backups and all that but I think really there's a difference between "backups" and just totally sucking the ambition out of people, the amount of people she's told over the years that they wouldn't get that course, straight out that they wouldn't be smart enough to get that course is just crazy!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement