Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Same :)

As a matter of interest, how much study is everybody doing (if any!) at the weekends and in the evenings? I can't help but feel I should be doing more than I am doing! :)

Im doing nothing, and just barley doing my homework and even that is starting to slip. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Same :)

As a matter of interest, how much study is everybody doing (if any!) at the weekends and in the evenings? I can't help but feel I should be doing more than I am doing! :)
    I'm the same as decisions. No study at all but I even don't have time to study. Just about getting my homework done (not finished for tonight yet), though I have been abandoning Biology and Chemistry homework because the books just don't fit in my bag if I have more that 2 subjects worth of homework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Speaking as a 6th year here, there's no need whatsoever to be doing proper study except for tests in 5th year, you'll totally burn yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

deise_girl wrote: »
    If (alpha) and (beta) are the roots of the equation 2x(squared) -4x +5 = 0 find the equation whose roots are: 3 + 3

Can I ask, what the fcuk is this? :eek:

And more importantly, should i be worried that I dont know? We've been on Trigonometry since we came back :pac:

DanielC95 wrote: »
    well obviously you know that α(alpha) + β(beta) = -b/a = -(-4)/2 = 2
    Can I ask, what the fcuk is this? :eek:

And more importantly, should i be worried that I dont know? We've been on Trigonometry since we came back :pac:
    I'm the same as you! When I saw that, I was like "shít! should I know this?" but I'm guessing/hoping we haven't done it yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Gonna second what Ally said, there's no point in not enjoying 5th year! 6th year is horrific so enjoy 5th year and just do your work, don't kill yourselves!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

DanielC95 wrote: »
    well obviously you know that α(alpha) + β(beta) = -b/a = -(-4)/2 = 2
    and α(alpha) β(beta) = c/a = 5/2 or 2 1/2

sum of the roots! is it 3a+3b = 3(a+b) = 3(2) = 6

product of the roots! is it 3a x 3b = 6ab = 6(2 1/2) = 15

equation = x^ - x(6) + x(15) = 0

Forgot to act quote this to thank you :D
    Came up on the test, think it went grand!

Also lads, do not let this scare you... If I can do this, anyone can... Including pass maths people..

deise_girl wrote: »
    Forgot to act quote this to thank you :D
    Came up on the test, think it went grand!

Also lads, do not let this scare you... If I can do this, anyone can... Including pass maths people..

We did that in Ty its grand once you do it a few times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I'm the same as decisions. No study at all but I even don't have time to study. Just about getting my homework done (not finished for tonight yet), though I have been abandoning Biology and Chemistry homework because the books just don't fit in my bag if I have more that 2 subjects worth of homework.

Haha same, and with Accounting if we use our book instead of the exam papers we usually work out I'm just like 'no, not tonight'. No amount of praise and good results are worth carrying The First-Year Bag.

As for the whole study thing, I'm doing most of my homework (except the aforementioned :p), study for tests and I try my best to look over Biology regularly because there's so much to learn. I had a minor freak-out earlier this week that I wasn't doing anything but sure there isn't that much to do, if I keep going like this until next year I'll actually be grand. :)

Also, I'd just like to add that I really, really like school right now. Can't believe I'm saying that but I had an unreal moment earlier where I realised that I really enjoyed every single class I had today, even Irish! Perhaps it's because it's been so long since I actually learned new things, what with most of 3rd Year being dull revision and everything is so fantastically new and interesting. Goooood times. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭FYG

Slow Show, what have you done so far in Accounting?

• Advertisement

FYG wrote: »

Sole Trader and Manufacturing Accounts, and we're on Ratios right now which are a bit of a snooze compared to doing accounts but it has to be done I guess. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭FYG

Slow Show wrote: »
    Sole Trader and Manufacturing Accounts, and we're on Ratios right now which are a bit of a snooze compared to doing accounts but it has to be done I guess. :pac:

How are you finding Accounting in general?

We're doing Club Accounts at the moment. Not the doss they were at Junior Cert anyway, that's for sure. :p

How are you finding Accounting in general?

We're doing Club Accounts at the moment. Not the doss they were at Junior Cert anyway, that's for sure. :p

I love Accounting, I think it's my favourite subject at the moment. We're doing accounts to OL standard this year, and moving to HL next year (which just seems to be more or less the same with a mass of adjustments), so I'm actually finding it to be fairly easy, and nothing compares to that feeling when they balance. The ratios are a real pain at the moment though, purely because I just want to be doing proper accounts. No balancing in ratios. :( It's all about the balancing mahn...

/slight obsession

So that maths test from last week we got back. I had thought I'd gotten around 55% but actually got 66%! Still by far and away my worst Maths test ever but still, it was in the top 2 or 3 in the class so I don't mind. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DermotOH

I have heard that biology and history are a real pain

Anyone else feel the workload?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

We're doing sole trader ATM. Not too bad, just getting used to it is the only thing really.
    The amount of homework is actually unreal. I had over 5 hours homework the other night.. So tired as well! The joys of 5th year :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

Just wondering about Applied Maths.

How are all of you finding it?

Personally, I think It's quite difficult. I can get the first part of questions, then I get stuck in the middle and can work out the last step, especially with the problems involving general terms. It's fairly annoying considering I rarely have problems with Maths.

Just wondering about Applied Maths.

How are all of you finding it?

Personally, I think It's quite difficult. I can get the first part of questions, then I get stuck in the middle and can work out the last step, especially with the problems involving general terms. It's fairly annoying considering I rarely have problems with Maths.

Have to agree with you, we just finished work energy and gravity and I found it quite hard and there were times that I just had no idea what to do next. We are on projectiles atm and they are ok so far but they seem to get a bit harder as the chapter goes on.

How much have you done so far, we have Vectors, Work energy and gravity and we are near the end of projectiles, oh and we did Accelerated Liner motion and half of Newtons Laws in TY.

Thats 4/13 chapters finished in the old FAM book :eek:

decisions wrote: »
    Have to agree with you, we just finished work energy and gravity and I found it quite hard and there were times that I just had no idea what to do next. We are on projectiles atm and they are ok so far but they seem to get a bit harder as the chapter goes on.

How much have you done so far, we have Vectors, Work energy and gravity and we are near the end of projectiles, oh and we did Accelerated Liner motion and half of Newtons Laws in TY.

Thats 4/13 chapters finished in the old FAM book :eek:

Eh we've done Vectors and are three quarters of the way through the Accelerated Linear Motion chapter.

I'm using Applied Mathematics: Foundation Third Level Mechanics for Leaving Cert by Kevin Conliffe.

Some the questions just wreck my head :rolleyes:

I started App. Maths outside school tonight. Only did some vectors in tonight's class. It was all fine but it can only get harder... and if ye are struggling! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Any tips on accounting books? Doesn't matter if they are revision books or not, my teacher doesn't use a book so I want one as a resource

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I started App. Maths outside school tonight. Only did some vectors in tonight's class. It was all fine but it can only get harder... and if ye are struggling! :eek:

Vectors is nothing compared to some of the linear motion questions. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I've been just about getting through my homework every night.

I'm the same thing with accounting though, the book is 600-odd pages thick so I never bringit home to do my homework. So practically every morning you'll find me sitting on the floor in the locker room doing it. :o

We're only doing OL stuff as well and we've done sole traders, bank reconcilliation statements and we're on manufacturing accounts. I'm actually really liking it and there is definately no better feeling than getting the balance sheet to balance at the end.

Maths is now starting to make sense to me again, and I could actually do most of our maths tst yeasterday so I'm kind of delighted with myelf even if it was only on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

Hello weekend! You have been missed!
    Anyone have any big plans? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

We're doing linear motion at the mo, I think there grand out? We're still on that chapter though, we're taking our time because we've 3 classes a week with only 10 students so our teacher wants to make sure that we all understand everything before moving on! Its great :D

Glee_GG wrote: »

We're doing linear motion at the mo, I think there grand out? We're still on that chapter though, we're taking our time because we've 3 classes a week with only 10 students so our teacher wants to make sure that we all understand everything before moving on! Its great :D

I have it 4 times a week incl. a double and we are racing trough it, our teacher insists on doing something new each class.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

decisions wrote: »
    I have it 4 times a week incl. a double and we are racing trough it, our teacher insists on doing something new each class.

Really? We've a double and a single class and we do something new every class but we're in no rush about it. To be honest, I'm not sure how far in the chapter we are because we don't use a book, she just photocopies the pages for us because she didn't want us to have to go out and buy another book on top of the rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

:D
    Hello weekend! You have been missed!
    Anyone have any big plans? :)

I had a Discover Scuba Dive in Scubadive West today! It was brilliant! One of the best experiences I've ever had in my life.. Thinking about getting qualified now!:p I also have Monday off because the teachers came back a day early - for once I like teachers!

DarkDusk wrote: »
    :D

I had a Discover Scuba Dive in Scubadive West today! It was brilliant! One of the best experiences I've ever had in my life.. Thinking about getting qualified now!:p I also have Monday off because the teachers came back a day early - for once I like teachers!

I have Monday off too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Anyone else finding 5th year a bit of a doss so far? I used to get more homework in 1st year than what we've got till now, loving it tbh :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement