Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Mine is just seriously mental she definitely has a screw loose. She told everyone in my year to do a business course but when I told her I wanted to do a business course she suggested an art portfolio course instead :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

And if you have a problem, she is totally useless. She goes and babbles it to the entire staff :(

Why are they paid to do feck all?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Don't even get me started on mine! She's also my tutor and she just wrecks everybody's head. And he doesn't like me for no reason :/ I don't even know if she's a proper guidance teacher because all the other classes have the other guidance teacher who takes people for appointments so I don't even know. She spends the whole class giving out and making us take notes on things that don't apply to us. I listen and I don't talk, I don't see why I should take down something that is never going to be relevant to me. She won't accept that I'm not putting down level 6/7s/PLC and gives out every single class. We were in the computer room a while back researching PLCs and she said that if we had ours chosen to look at our CAO choices and decide on our courses because the change of mind is soon.. It's in like May!! I just put my head down because she doesn't even let you do work if you don't have anything to do. Like I have my choices and I'm not changing them. What else can I do?
    Arghhhh she annoys me so much :P she annoys everyone though!
    I went to the other guidance teacher once for guidance on my personal statement though. I said I hadn't it started at all and her response was 'well it sounds like you're well on with that, get it into me as soon as possible'. She also asked about 20 questions about my family and home life which is fair enough as that's part of her job but she kept asking the same questions over and over again :P and asked if I was sure if I was getting some exercise and said I should really get some exercise :L
    I never went back.. :P

Edit: that was a long post but I feel so much better after letting all that out :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I could just have went to the other guidance teacher who is supposedly much more helpful, after my disaster with the first. I came to the conclusion though that if I can't figure out what I want to do by myself then someone throwing options at me won't help in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Lol, my C&G teacher has been great, she's been of help to everyone, and told a lot of things I didn't know, but should have. She's fantastic to chat to also. She always motivated people to achieve what they want without any 'backdoors'. She loves the job also, it'd be really sad to see her go back teaching her ground subjects, cos the years to come will surely benefit from her advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Should not be out drinking. Bad Monsieur Folie. Leaving Cert soon. Don't let me out again til after the LC please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

i went out thursday and had a few casuals last night and looks like im goina gain tonight.... definitely a stupid ideaa but this will be the last time before the orals so I am justifying it as a badly needed break!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I'm lucky my CG teacher is good! She is really helpful and like the above poster she seems to like her job. She encourages everybody to go for their dream course, instead of just going for science or whatever. She also gives us ideas on backup courses just in-case, but she motivates everyone and tells them they will get their no.1 course :P

I keep having dreams about the Irish orals, I had two last night! In the first one I got 176/240 which is like 50 marks lower than I want. I thought that was bad until I had the second dream and did so badly that she told me the highest I would have possibly got was 6! Out of 240!

Irish orals are haunting me too.

• Advertisement

I keep having dreams about the Irish orals, I had two last night! In the first one I got 176/240 which is like 50 marks lower than I want. I thought that was bad until I had the second dream and did so badly that she told me the highest I would have possibly got was 6! Out of 240!

6/240 ? :P Is it even possible to get 6 marks?! For even turning up you might get that!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭barry194

Ah lads, I think my German oral will be a mile worse than my Irish :P

ray2012 wrote: »
    6/240 ? :P Is it even possible to get 6 marks?! For even turning up you might get that!

Well if you managed to tell them your name, age, exam no and address as well as one other utterance of Irish I'd say 6/240 would be about right. :P

I have no idea what I did but that's what she said!

I'm glad it's the French oral first. I'd be better at that than Irish I'd say!

My French is first as well but I'm far better at Irish. French takes much more concentration because I have to think about every word before I say it whereas Irish comes much more naturally so it doesn't take much thinking.

I'd much prefer to do Irish first because if French turns out to be the same kind of shambles as my mock, my confidence will take a huge hit.

My French is first as well but I'm far better at Irish. French takes much more concentration because I have to think about every word before I say it whereas Irish comes much more naturally so it doesn't take much thinking.

I'd much prefer to do Irish first because if French turns out to be the same kind of shambles as my mock, my confidence will take a huge hit.

The only problem I find with French in the oral is when you need to be constantly thinking "Is it masculine or feminine?!". For Irish, you don't really need to do that, or at least as much!

The only problem I find with French in the oral is when you need to be constantly thinking "Is it masculine or feminine?!". For Irish, you don't really need to do that, or at least as much!

Exactly! Far too much thought needed! Which gender?Which tense? Which ending? Do I use du or au? Aaaaahh

I have French first too. I'm not very well prepared for either tbh though! I got As in both somehow in the mocks so I hope I can get an A again (ideally A1 in French) but it's not looking great at the moment!
    With regards to dreams, I had a dream one night that we were having a chemistry test in a pub that was laid out the same way as a McDonald's.. And I didn't know about the test and I didn't know anything at all. It was awful :P do I studied chemistry the next day :P

I have French first too. I'm not very well prepared for either tbh though! I got As in both somehow in the mocks so I hope I can get an A again (ideally A1 in French) but it's not looking great at the moment!
    With regards to dreams, I had a dream one night that we were having a chemistry test in a pub that was laid out the same way as a McDonald's.. And I didn't know about the test and I didn't know anything at all. It was awful :P do I studied chemistry the next day :P

Do you have a document? Wow, your dreams are even weirder than mine, and that's hard to be! I had one about zombies breaking through my bedroom window, it was fairly scary..! :P

I still have a fair bit of homework to do actually. Irish An Triail Question, two Q1's in accounting and chemistry all 2002 paper.. God, I actually find chemistry so boring now.

• Advertisement

Do you have a document? Wow, your dreams are even weirder than mine, and that's hard to be! I had one about zombies breaking through my bedroom window, it was fairly scary..! :P

I still have a fair bit of homework to do actually. Irish An Triail Question, two Q1's in accounting and chemistry all 2002 paper.. God, I actually find chemistry so boring now.

Yeh I have a document but I don't have much learned for it yet! There are abstract angles that I need to prepare but hopefully it won't be too bad. I'm worrying now that I didn't deserve the A I got because we were on in twos for some absurd reason and I was with a girl who was a lot weaker than I was and we were on first thing in the morning so I'm wondering if I really shoul have gotten an A! Plus she was a native speaker who doesn't know the course but hopefully it'll be ok!
    Wow that's a lot of homework! I can't even remember whether I got homework or not.. I had 4 essays to do and I've only started one of them.. Be grand sure! I'd rather prepare for my orals :/

This is only the start of the LC dreams I think.

How many points are ye hoping to go up by from the mocks?

Yeh I have a document but I don't have much learned for it yet! There are abstract angles that I need to prepare but hopefully it won't be too bad. I'm worrying now that I didn't deserve the A I got because we were on in twos for some absurd reason and I was with a girl who was a lot weaker than I was and we were on first thing in the morning so I'm wondering if I really shoul have gotten an A! Plus she was a native speaker who doesn't know the course but hopefully it'll be ok!
    Wow that's a lot of homework! I can't even remember whether I got homework or not.. I had 4 essays to do and I've only started one of them.. Be grand sure! I'd rather prepare for my orals :/

Ah not so bad, having a document well prepared is the best option I think! Well done on doing so well, if you got an A in the mocks you can surely get an A in the real thing! :) I'm dreading my accounting homework. The subject just confuses me too much, I'll be surprised if I get a C3 in the real thing in it. :pac:

I would honestly be really happy with the amount of points I got in the mocks. I got 445, and that's like 40 over what I need. :D But I'm now going to aim for around 460/470. It just gives me something to aim for.

I'm hoping for medicine and to be honest I didn't really work for the mocks! I'd love to go up by about 50 points. I know I can definitely bring maths up as I was sick during paper 1 and messed that up and I hope I can bring irish, chemistry, biology and accounting up to A1s (Irish was marked terribly for us) and maybe French around the same or maybe even lower. Wishful thinking! :P

I need to go from 385 to 450ish :(

decisions wrote: »

It's possible!! My friend failed 2 or 3 subjects in the mocks and came up to the 400s. You'll know more by June anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lord Ned Stark

i think i overachieved in the mocks a little (590) but i need 560 so at the minute i have room for grades to change :) i went from 460 to 530 last year so there is a lot of room to improve in between! :)

i have no orals thank god it is such a relief when you get them over and done with :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Don't get me started on LC dreams :p I'm fairly sure I've had all possible LC related dreams at this stage, from the getting-625-in-your-dream-and-waking-disappointed-because-it-wasn't-reality one to the getting-5-points-below-what-I-need-and-waking-up-terrified one. the worst one I've had yet was last year a few weeks before results when I got one result at a time in my dreams. I'd get Irish one night, Maths another, Biology another night. It was agonising :p It was as if I had to wait for two sets of results.

In other sleep-related news, I've just developed that really weird habit of grinding my teeth in my sleep, bruxism I think it's called (or so wikipedia tells me). Must be the stress. It's awful because it just means I wake up every morning wit the insides of my cheeks all cut up and my jaw really sore :( It's stange 'cause I'm not, generally, the stress-y type.

I got all the points I need in the mocks and my college doesn't offer scholarships so now my only motivation is beating my brother. Tbf, it's still pretty good motivation!
    decisions wrote: »

Chill, I got in the three hundreds last year in the mocks and went up 120 points (lawl). Don't put too much weight in mock results, they're poorly marked, you don't have everything covered in time for them, papers can be weird, etc. Relax :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I have French first too! As a result I've done loads of French over Easter, I've done loads of practise orals with my brother but have done nothing for Irish. I got an A1 in my Irish mock oral which felt a bit high at the time but I seem to have overestimated the standard required so hopefully I can repeat that...I'll be too scared to do anything other than French for the next week, I'll just have to do nothing but Irish as soon as French is over. As for French, got a B1 in my mock oral which felt a bit low but like I just make sooo many mistakes on the spot, I think the key for me is to actually process what I've just said in my head and make sure to correct myself 'cos listening back to my oral (recorded it) the mistakes were so, so easy to pick out! I desperately want an A1 in French and I know I can do it in the written but gah the oral really needs to go well.:p

/babbling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

When you say you have to think is it masculine or feminine is that just for la or le or for adjectives you mean?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement