Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Prodigious wrote: »
    In brighter news, Maggie's gone :D

This comment, if we are being pedantic, is more immoral than the comment in question on another thread, in my opinion. no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

This comment, if we are being pedantic, is more immoral than the comment in question on another thread, in my opinion. no?

Thank you for your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I did not know the post was of that nature...
    I know that, lad, you were just going "whut happened?", which is a very different thing; I'd probably be the same myself.
    We weren't being pedantic, we were being human ... and unless her daughter is doing her LC and frequents the forum, the answer is probably "no".

That said, it isn't especially nice to cheer at anyone's death, and there are plenty of places on Boards where it will be discussed ad nauseam ad infinitum without needing to re-do the job here. ;)

I know that, lad, you were just going "whut happened?", which is a very different thing; I'd probably be the same myself.

We weren't being pedantic, we were being human ... and unless her daughter is doing her LC and frequents the forum, the answer is probably "no".

That said, it isn't especially nice to cheer at anyone's death, and there are plenty of places on Boards where it will be discussed ad nauseam ad infinitum without needing to re-do the job here. ;)

Google translate is no use to me it seems... :rolleyes:

Lol, not sure how good it is on Latin tbh.

ad nauseam ... to the point of nausea

ad infinitum ... to infinity; without end

Normally used as a combined phrase to denote something which continues endlessly until everyone is sick of it.

See, you learn something new in the LC forum every day! :pac: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Prodigious wrote: »
    Google translate is no use to me it seems... :rolleyes:

I thought it was fairly obvious, it's practically in English!

Fair point.

I thought it was fairly obvious, it's practically in English!
    So much of English has Latinate roots, either because the words were imported directly from Latin or because they came into the language indirectly through Norman-French, that we can often make a good guess at simple Latin phrases and sentences.

The other primary source for English was the Germanic dialects of the Angles and Saxons who were the last main wave of immigration into England before the Normans (hence why you will hear the adjective "Anglo-Saxon" often applied to something or someone English).

So much of English has Latinate roots, either because the words were imported directly from Latin or because they came into the language indirectly through Norman-French, that we can often make a good guess at simple Latin phrases and sentences.

The other primary source for English was the Germanic dialects of the Angles and Saxons who were the last main wave of immigration into England before the Normans (hence why you will hear the adjective "Anglo-Saxon" often applied to something or someone English).

Ah well, they've been called worse! :D

Think I may deactivate my boards account for the next 2 months. seems too easy to get caught up in the lives of others on here. Might give it a trial week see how I do

• Advertisement

Think I may deactivate my boards account for the next 2 months.

+1 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Think I may deactivate my boards account for the next 2 months. seems too easy to get caught up in the lives of others on here. Might give it a trial week see how I do

If you close it you won't be able to activate it again.

You can't just leave us, then come crawling back and expect us to take you back again simple as that :pac: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Volentary ban from the LC Forum here I come.

See you's after the orals.

You could just use willpower! :pac:

Or change your password to something you will never remember like sk8hgzxcv5463zfd3gh54zdf, write it down and give it to a parent / adult to keep safely for you. (Giving it to a friend may not be a good idea as they may decide to have fun with it! :pac: )

Prodigious you're some pathetic fool stop your sly digs or I'll make Spurious infract you. But in all seriousness I reckon I need to get off this and start working! I won't deactivate the account but im done commenting unless its of direct productivity for me.

How does a voluntary 3 week ban work. Who do I call a wanker and how many times?

Prodigious you're some pathetic fool stop your sly digs or I'll make Spurious infract you. But in all seriousness I reckon I need to get off this and start working! I won't deactivate the account but im done commenting unless its of direct productivity for me.

Nice. Best of luck with that.
    If it makes you feel better I was actually saying that I might do the same. :rolleyes:

Banned for three days.

Let me be blunt, gentlemen: both of you need to cut out the sniping and sarcasm, towards each other and others. The mods are certainly tired of it, and I suspect many of your fellow users are as well.

Fair enough Randy. Apologies if I annoyed anyone!

How does a voluntary 3 week ban work. Who do I call a wanker and how many times?
    Tell you what: I will take this as a request and oblige you, now, before you dig yourself into any deeper hole!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Aren't you a fountain of knowledge today!

Now......how can I work this into my differentiation homework....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles, and everyone would eat and be happy...
    :pac:

In fairness:
    Thanks Randy, perfect! You might just let the LC heads on the off topic page know I will be gone for 3 weeks! See you all then and good luck to them in the orals!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Awww no that implies he's coming back :pac:

Yeah but sure this was a while back:
    I'm beginning to be a real pain around here. For that I apologize and blame struss na hardteiste. I guesses a tuiseal ginideach, that's the wildest thing I have done since last summer!

I'm the same as him so i can't say much though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

peekachoo wrote: »
    I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles, and everyone would eat and be happy...

Sounds like you've been eating one of these cakes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Jade. wrote: »
    Sounds like you've been eating one of these cakes :pac:

ahaha! Someday I will quote Mean Girls and somebody will realise. Someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

peekachoo wrote: »

I was also going to quote this until I saw your post :')

Had a 40 minute assembly today on how the next 8 weeks "are the most important of your livies girls". The amount of freaked faces around the place after was unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Lol, not sure how good it is on Latin tbh.

ad nauseam ... to the point of nausea

ad infinitum ... to infinity; without end

Normally used as a combined phrase to denote something which continues endlessly until everyone is sick of it.

See, you learn something new in the LC forum every day! :pac: :D

The reason google translate didn't work was a typo on your part randy. :P It's ad nauseum for future reference. :D

• Advertisement

Jackobyte wrote: »
    The reason google translate didn't work was a typo on your part randy. :P It's ad nauseum for future reference. :D
    Tisn't, but 'tis often mis-spelled that way! :p

/throws rotten eggs at Jack :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement