Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

ray2012 wrote: »
    Anyone doing French, do ye think for the oral it's ok to go a little off the question in your answers to the examiners' questions? For example : Just say the examiner asks me if the problem with the environment is a big problem today. I would agree, and then would I go straight into saying what we should do to fight against the problem/who to put the blame on, without her actually asking the question? :P That's usually my problem, I usually go straight into it going from "Oui, c'est un probleme croissant de nos jours. Il y a beaucoup de gens qui ne respectent pas l'environnement. Tout d'abord, on doit ... Il faut que le gouvernement doit ... "

Do ye think I'd be better off just saying that 2/3 lines that it is a big problem and why, or else going straight into it and saying who to put the blame on/what to do now/ etc ?

Any advice on this sort of issue would be helpful :)

I'd say make sure you answer her question, then naturally lead onto how to resolve it. For example above there, you don't really have a link between a lot of people not respecting the environment and how to resolve it. Say what you're saying, but after 'Il y a beacoup...' I'd say something like 'Il faut absolument résoudre ce probleme, il y a beacoup de trucs qu'on pourrait faire, par exemple...' and then fire ahead.

So basically answering her question, straying a bit but at the same time still staying relatively true to the question because you've veered off in a natural way, rather than a way you've learned. Also as a general rule, I'd say keep talking about anything until they stop you/make it clear they're ready to ask a question or until you come to a natural conclusion, I don't think it's a good idea to finish up and sit awkwardly waiting for the examiner to ask the next question, unless you've actually ended it yourself in a way that they understand to be the end (if possible, end it with a prompt for something else you'd quite like to be asked). Gah sorry this makes no sense at all! :P

EDIT: saying something like 'C'est du moins mon opinion' and the like is a good way of bringing something to a nice conclusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Anyone doing French, do ye think for the oral it's ok to go a little off the question in your answers to the examiners' questions? For example : Just say the examiner asks me if the problem with the environment is a big problem today. I would agree, and then would I go straight into saying what we should do to fight against the problem/who to put the blame on, without her actually asking the question? :P That's usually my problem, I usually go straight into it going from "Oui, c'est un probleme croissant de nos jours. Il y a beaucoup de gens qui ne respectent pas l'environnement. Tout d'abord, on doit ... Il faut que le gouvernement doit ... "

Do ye think I'd be better off just saying that 2/3 lines that it is a big problem and why, or else going straight into it and saying who to put the blame on/what to do now/ etc ?

Any advice on this sort of issue would be helpful :)

Firstly they'll never ask you directly out of the blue if the environment is a big problem, you'd have to have really been hinting towards it and touching off it, otherwise (s)he will ask you a much.more open ended question like "What do you think is the biggest problem nowadays?" And so you'd have much more freedom in how you answer it, realistically though, they won't care how you answer it, why its a big problem or what we need to do first, as long as you're showing good French and its somewhat connected to the answer. In fact it's in ways a good thing that you would go onto what we should do without prompting, really when they ask a question just keep talking, if they ask you do you like the school, list out the reasons why, then say why not, you can even start going on about the facilities and the rules

The whole keeping to the question asked isn't very much a big deal as it is in the written, in fact in the marking scheme under communication ,they look for ability to Develop a topic, which you're doing!

Just letting people know that last years Chief Examiner's Report have been put online today and are available here.

Also seeing as the Irish orals are fast approaching it may be useful to people to take a look at the first Chief Examiner's report for Irish with the new syllabus (here)! The Béaltrial part starts on pg 15

If anyone doesn't want to read through it the main points were, the poems seem to need more work, especially an Spalpín Fánach. The Pictures were generally good but the questions could've been better and need to be based on the pictures (so if you get Fadhbanna Ar Saoire, asking the examiner was he in Malaga before is not what they're looking for!) and with regards to the conversation, the standard was higher last year than before, and that the candidates who got the highest marks showed great ability to bring in the Módh Cóinnialach and the Claoninsint naturally!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

What is claoninsint? D:

My questions are always like 'Cé mhéad daoine atá i bpictiúr a cúig?' >.>

• Advertisement

peekachoo wrote: »
    What is claoninsint? D:

The Claoninsint is indirect speech for example
    "Bhí an aimsir go maith" arsa Seán is direct speech

but the Claoninsint is
    "dúirt Seán go raibh an aimsir go maith"

I'm surprised that even figure, I always assumed it was only a small thing that you;d be sort of expected to know!

Oh okay I just wasn't familiar with the name. I do the whole sraiths with indirect!
    You scared me for a second :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ahh feck off :p
    I was seriously considering the possibility that that might be accurate as written, yanno! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Slow Show wrote: »
    I'd say make sure you answer her question, then naturally lead onto how to resolve it. For example above there, you don't really have a link between a lot of people not respecting the environment and how to resolve it. Say what you're saying, but after 'Il y a beacoup...' I'd say something like 'Il faut absolument résoudre ce probleme, il y a beacoup de trucs qu'on pourrait faire, par exemple...' and then fire ahead.

So basically answering her question, straying a bit but at the same time still staying relatively true to the question because you've veered off in a natural way, rather than a way you've learned. Also as a general rule, I'd say keep talking about anything until they stop you/make it clear they're ready to ask a question or until you come to a natural conclusion, I don't think it's a good idea to finish up and sit awkwardly waiting for the examiner to ask the next question, unless you've actually ended it yourself in a way that they understand to be the end (if possible, end it with a prompt for something else you'd quite like to be asked). Gah sorry this makes no sense at all! :P

EDIT: saying something like 'C'est du moins mon opinion' and the like is a good way of bringing something to a nice conclusion!
    Firstly they'll never ask you directly out of the blue if the environment is a big problem, you'd have to have really been hinting towards it and touching off it, otherwise (s)he will ask you a much.more open ended question like "What do you think is the biggest problem nowadays?" And so you'd have much more freedom in how you answer it, realistically though, they won't care how you answer it, why its a big problem or what we need to do first, as long as you're showing good French and its somewhat connected to the answer. In fact it's in ways a good thing that you would go onto what we should do without prompting, really when they ask a question just keep talking, if they ask you do you like the school, list out the reasons why, then say why not, you can even start going on about the facilities and the rules

The whole keeping to the question asked isn't very much a big deal as it is in the written, in fact in the marking scheme under communication ,they look for ability to Develop a topic, which you're doing!

Thanks for yer answers! :) I just gave an example of environment because that's what my document is on! :p But just say I kept talking until she interrupted me, would it not sound like a learned-off rant? I don't want to come off that I've learned this big large paragraph and I'm going to use it whatever question. I suppose she'll interrupt me if she thinks I've it all learned off and ask me a new question?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Anyone know of any good phrases to use in the oral for the sraith pictiurs? :) I remember seeing one for 'timpiste san ionad eachtraiochta' but of course i didnt write it down and have an oral tomorrow :(

• Advertisement

Anyone know of any good phrases to use in the oral for the sraith pictiurs? :) I remember seeing one for 'timpiste san ionad eachtraiochta' but of course i didnt write it down and have an oral tomorrow :(

Bhí siad sásta tosu laithreach baill mar thuig siad an seanfhocal "tus maith leath na hoibre" - They were happy to start immediately as they understood the seanfhocal "a good start is half the battle"

Bhí siad dóchasach go mbeidís in ann an (duais) a fháil - They were hopeful that they would get the (prize)

Thuig sé ar an bpointe boise go raibh a phort seinnte - He understood immediately that the game was up

Thug an muinteoir ídé béil dó - The teacher gave out to him

Ní raibh fúithi ná tháirstí ach ... (e.g an sliabh a dreapú) - Their hearts were set on ... (e.g climbing the mountain)

Thuig siad go raibh toradh maith ar a gcuid oibre agus go raibh taithi iontach faighte acu - They understood that there was a good result for their work

Gan amhras, sin lá/ócáid nach ndeanfaidís dearmad ar riamh - Without a doubt, this is a day/occasion they would never forget.

They are just a few that can be used in many of the pictures :P

Bhí siad sásta tosu laithreach baill mar thuig siad an seanfhocal "tus maith leath na hoibre" - They were happy to start immediately as they understood the seanfhocal "a good start is half the battle"

Bhí siad dóchasach go mbeidís in ann an (duais) a fháil - They were hopeful that they would get the (prize)

Thuig sé ar an bpointe boise go raibh a phort seinnte - He understood immediately that the game was up

Thug an muinteoir ídé béil dó - The teacher gave out to him

Ní raibh fúithi ná tháirstí ach ... (e.g an sliabh a dreapú) - Their hearts were set on ... (e.g climbing the mountain)

Thuig siad go raibh toradh maith ar a gcuid oibre agus go raibh taithi iontach faighte acu - They understood that there was a good result for their work

Gan amhras, sin lá/ócáid nach ndeanfaidís dearmad ar riamh - Without a doubt, this is a day/occasion they would never forget.

They are just a few that can be used in many of the pictures :P
    Thank you so much!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Have a date for Debs!!! :D:D:D

HON THE KIDOBYTE.

Actually I kind of have mine. But you know the way I am, nothing ever happens simply! My Dublin story, acts 3, 4, and 5. Guaranteed to be better than Macbeth, or your money back.

Sorry for not posting here too much but I've been struggling with both Eircom and Vodafone's sorry excuses for "broadband" for the last while. I'm back though! And it's kind of glorious even though I have to get over my in-built habit of visiting ThePirateBay for all my (free, legally distributed) music needs.

And that's the biggest thing happening in my life right now? EASPA BANTER.

Thanks for yer answers! :) I just gave an example of environment because that's what my document is on! :p But just say I kept talking until she interrupted me, would it not sound like a learned-off rant? I don't want to come off that I've learned this big large paragraph and I'm going to use it whatever question. I suppose she'll interrupt me if she thinks I've it all learned off and ask me a new question?

Well with the document regardless its sort of a given that it'll be learned off. Really though its swings and roundabouts, okay if you drone away this long paragraph yeah you will lose marks l, but the majority of people who get high marks in French and aren't native speakers, will have very extensive notes prepared it's a matter of how they present it, if you present it properly and put real emphasis and hand movements, it can look like it's off the top of your head and be a fantastic mark earner. But like if you strictly only answer his/her question, with limited scope, you may lose marks because (s)he has to keep on prompting you. I think though at the end of the the day its all about striking a balance between the two schools of thought, yes going on when it makes good sense, like what you need yo do to fix the environment which goes hand in hand with is it a big problem, and also at times knowing when to stop and leave him/her ask a another question.

Well with the document regardless its sort of a given that it'll be learned off. Really though its swings and roundabouts, okay if you drone away this long paragraph yeah you will lose marks l, but the majority of people who get high marks in French and aren't native speakers, will have very extensive notes prepared it's a matter of how they present it, if you present it properly and put real emphasis and hand movements, it can look like it's off the top of your head and be a fantastic mark earner. But like if you strictly only answer his/her question, with limited scope, you may lose marks because (s)he has to keep on prompting you. I think though at the end of the the day its all about striking a balance between the two schools of thought, yes going on when it makes good sense, like what you need yo do to fix the environment which goes hand in hand with is it a big problem, and also at times knowing when to stop and leave him/her ask a another question.

Thanks a million, I understand yeah! :D I completely agree with this, one of my friends was just saying that going off the question a little bit (like with the environment example) shouldn't be done, but I disagree! The examiner will have the opportunity to stop me anyways if she thinks I'm saying to much. But yeah, I hold the same view "Don't stop talking if what you're saying is relevant until the examiner stops you" !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Has anyone applied for any accommodation or scholarships?

yournerd wrote: »
    Has anyone applied for any accommodation or scholarships?

applying for accomm next Wednesday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

applying for accomm next Wednesday :D
    What college's accom is opening for applications Wednesday?

Maybe it's not Wednesday it was a date I think I just assumed, NUIM it's next week I believe anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

I'm waiting for UCD ac portal to open up. Not applying anywhere else tough.

It's been a hard few days, waiting for the weekend to get some sleep :/ .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Maybe it's not Wednesday it was a date I think I just assumed, NUIM it's next week I believe anyway!

I thought their applications have been open since sometime in November?

But anyway \o/ NUIM

Woooooo weekend! :)

Boooooo orals :(

From what I can see, it looks like my Amazon order has been dispatched and estimated delivery is Wednesday. Should be nice after having the French oral on Wednesday.

Did ye see the video of the mother giving out to her son with the Irish oral? Hahahaha it's honestly the funniest thing ever! It got taken off youtube but I found it here

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e23_1365563096

Can't stop laughing at it... "CAD AS TU?!?!?!?!?"

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Took the day off today to study for the orals can't say it was a very productive day :pac:

At least I finally got a document done for French! :P

What day are everyone's orals starting and which subject? :)

I've French Monday. I'm glad to be getting it over with early in the week, have a full week and a half to study for Irish then! :P
    I'm nervous about French, but I'm not dreading it as it would be my best subject. I'm just hoping I don't mess it up!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Ive my Irish Wednesday! Slightly terrified, I think the comhra should be okay and Im as happy as I will be about my poems but the srath pictuirs..
    Like some are fine and I should get on alright with them, but theres certain ones if Im asked... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

We have Irish Wednesday-Friday so I'll be the Thursday for that and French the next week Monday-Wednesday so I'll be the Tuesday then!

Can't wait to have them over with!

Yeah I have French either Tuesday or Wednesday and Irish the following Thursday/Friday, ugh I'd really rather get them both over with as early as possible. My Irish should be grand provided I don't freak out and as for French, ehhh we'll see. :p Kinda wish I had Irish first 'cos it's definitely the one I feel the most confident about and I can't see messing up my French oral being good for me. We'll see I guess. :p

I've French next Friday and Irish the following Monday. Can't wait until they are over! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

French Wednesday but not a clue about Irish the following week, in my estimations it could be Thursday.

I really wish I could do Irish first because I'm way more confident with it. If I completely make a mess of French I may turn into a wreck for Irish which really isn't good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

German on monday, delighted that it will be out of the way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement