Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

fjsanchez wrote: »
    Anyone else finding 5th year a bit of a doss so far? I used to get more homework in 1st year than what we've got till now, loving it tbh :)
    I wish :( I get so much homework it's unreal. I had 5 hours the other night with everything due for the next day and me racing through it! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

decisions wrote: »
    DarkDusk wrote: »
    :D

I had a Discover Scuba Dive in Scubadive West today! It was brilliant! One of the best experiences I've ever had in my life.. Thinking about getting qualified now!:p I also have Monday off because the teachers came back a day early - for once I like teachers!

I have Monday off too :D

Me three! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 omgwatsbehindu

Has any one else started Hurlamaboc in higher Irish yet? The author came into us.. i.e. the Tys last year and she went physo on us for no apparent reason then stormed out... the funny thing is she went the wrong way and had to pass by to actually leave the school! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DermotOH

Just given a 5 page essay on Elizabeth Bishop for English

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Have done nothing even close to productive since 1:00 Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

I am thinking of changing from Biology to Chemistry because my Biology teacher absolutely hates me for no apparent reason considering I always get As in all of her tests. Today she accused me of using copper sulfate instead of Benedict's solution in the glucose exp when the glucose was clearly turning brick red! So do you guys think it might be a wise decision? The chem class are only just finishing the first chapter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

The chem class are only just finishing the first chapter.

The first chapter? :eek: We've the first four done.

The chem class are only just finishing the first chapter.

The first chapter? :eek: We've the first four done.

Woah! Although I dont actually think they started from the beginning - they skipped til near the end of the book - its a long chapter though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

Woah! Although I dont actually think they started from the beginning - they skipped til near the end of the book - its a long chapter though!

Ah I see. Chemistry is actually really good, I'd recommend switching. It's waay more interesting than Biology. :D

Ah I see. Chemistry is actually really good, I'd recommend switching. It's waay more interesting than Biology. :D

Thanks :) but is it much harder than Biology? Like I am aiming for an A1 so I am terrified of switching and then realizing that I had made a mistake! But at the same time, I don't think I can spend a whole 2 years with my Biology teacher...don't you know when you just have this one teacher that does your head in? :(

• Advertisement

I think I'm starting to enjoy 5th year...

Thanks :) but is it much harder than Biology? Like I am aiming for an A1 so I am terrified of switching and then realizing that I had made a mistake! But at the same time, I don't think I can spend a whole 2 years with my Biology teacher...don't you know when you just have this one teacher that does your head in? :(
    Biology you can just learn but chemistry you really need to understand and know definitions word for word. It gets harder and quite a few drop out of it. Do you need it for a course? Generally it's don't do chemistry unless you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

A lot more learning in biology, a lot more understanding in chemistry. Don't move just because of a teacher though, if you like the subject then stick to it, especially if you're getting As. Your teacher might just be jealous :pac:

Also, everyone advising chemistry obviously does chemistry and enjoys, it might be a different experience for you! I almost did physics over biology just because of advice I got on boards, even though I hated it in the JC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Going to get no work done this week thanks to BF3 beta :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Trevor451 wrote: »

Haha that is a legitimate excuse to use on your teachers I suppose, try it out :p

Trevor451 wrote: »

Good luck with that one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 omgwatsbehindu

Has any one else only done one chapter in higher math so far? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

Anyone finding Maths a complete joke? I'm in ordinary and haven't a clue wtf is going on. Half the time my teacher doesn't know where he is!

yep...we have finished Algebra 1 and we just finished Statistics 1 today. Moving on to probability tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

We've finished Statistics 1 and nearly half way through Probability 1 (hl). Our teacher is a joke.. All she does every day is correct the homework that most of us couldn't do, go onto the next topic, fails at explaining the basics of the topic and finally gives us all the questions at the end of that section, when we only know how to do the easy ones and then repeats... I thought my teacher for JC was bad!:P It really annoys me though. I love maths - it's one of my favourite subjects, but my teacher ruins it for me. The worst thing about it is that I'm not the only one - hundreds if not thousands of students are not being taught maths properly, and we can't do a thing about it.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I've been finding Maths to be graaand for the most part, wouldn't describe it as easy but I've been able to do everything, at least in class...and then I come home and I hit a brick wall and none of it makes any sense. :(

We have just finished geometry. And we have been given hw from combinations and that chapter this week.

We're still doing algebra. My teacher moves quite slowly compared to the other class (was in the other class and was moved due to mixed ability) and he insists that he will only correct one question from homework. We're working from sheets atm until the book is out so I don't really know where we are really.
    I hate mixed ability.. there are Ds in my honours maths class! Some people are just really disruptive :(

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Kindle Fire looks like it'd be awesome if you removed all the Amazon crap and installed CyanogenMod 7 or something like that. Yeah, I'm an android nerd, so what?

I'm just going to buy a laptop though. Far more useful, and I can use it for DJing, so hopefully I'll make my money back on it some day...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Quick pointer guys, keep a very close eye on how slowly you move in certain subjects. You need minimum half the course done in everything by the end of this year. I'm in 6th now, extra maths before school because we only got 4 topics done last year and we're also mad behind in Chemistry. The stress is so unnecessary.

Chuchoter wrote: »
    Quick pointer guys, keep a very close eye on how slowly you move in certain subjects. You need minimum half the course done in everything by the end of this year. I'm in 6th now, extra maths before school because we only got 4 topics done last year and we're also mad behind in Chemistry. The stress is so unnecessary.

This completely confirms my suspicion regarding biology - our class spent 2 and a half weeks on The Scientific Method - and in case you don't do biology, that's one chapter AND it only tells you how to carry out an experiment successfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Tomas18

History is moving rally slow for me mainly because half of my class never stops talking:@ but on the other hand I thinks we are flying in Biology as we hav the scientific method, food, animal nutrition/ lymphatic system and we're just starting cell diversity

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

This completely confirms my suspicion regarding biology - our class spent 2 and a half weeks on The Scientific Method - and in case you don't do biology, that's one chapter AND it only tells you how to carry out an experiment successfully!

Tell me about it, we're the top stream Biology class and she's spent the last 2 weeks on food >.< Its 6 pages in the book women. HURRY UP!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Yeah that should have taken you tops 3/4 days tbh :S

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement