Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Hopefully have my Irish oral tomorrow, I just want it over with now at this stage, I'm so jealous seeing everyone burning sraithpictiuiri on FB! Anyway I'm not too worried about the Irish one, the examiner is lovely and really allows you lead the conversation.

However I'm already starting to freak about the French oral as iv barely done any preparation compared to Irish. But I've resolved that I just won't count it if things don't go great!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭barry194

Had my German Oral today, was sound! Got the Winterurlaub and The renting room rollplay. Wanted both of them like!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Words can't express the happiness I feel that tonight is my last night of looking at the sraith pictiurs. :D
    I'll have about 20 seconds of happiness before I go into freak mode over German. We didn't even have a mock oral of any sort our teacher doesn't have a clue :/

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭barry194

peekachoo wrote: »
    Words can't express the happiness I feel that tonight is my last night of looking at the sraith pictiurs. :D
    I'll have about 20 seconds of happiness before I go into freak mode over German. We didn't even have a mock oral of any sort our teacher doesn't have a clue :/

No mock orals? I had two! But trust me it's not as bad as you think. I got asked about 4 basic questions in general conversation to blabber on about then the pic seq and the role play.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

My standard of German was better doing the JC than it is now. You have no idea. Most people in my class don't even have their projekts done (we don't do pictures)!
    I'm literally not even able to speak extended on basic questions, I'm just learning off a load of vocab and answers this weekend. Dreading it :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Hopefully have my Irish oral tomorrow, I just want it over with now at this stage, I'm so jealous seeing everyone burning sraithpictiuiri on FB! Anyway I'm not too worried about the Irish one, the examiner is lovely and really allows you lead the conversation.

However I'm already starting to freak about the French oral as iv barely done any preparation compared to Irish. But I've resolved that I just won't count it if things don't go great!

Mine isn't 'till next Tuesday/Wednesday. Both a blessing and a curse!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Irish oral tomorrow evening for me. The examiner is leaving the marking sheet on the page so everyone is seeing what they got. Also some people are going in with the poem they want open and the examiner is asking them to read that one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Had my Irish Oral today. It went great, I'm thrilled with it. :) Our examiner was beyond sound. He was pure relaxed about the whole thing. He didnt ask anybody MC, not one person!!! I definitely felt that I was over prepared after it. It felt like a real natural conversation though so that was good! Mo Ghra Sa and Madra Ar Strae. :D Did anyone else get general comments off the examiner after it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

just came back from a 50 minute mock oral.
    I'm ready. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

French oral is tomorrow morning and I sesm to have had a surprising change of mind. I actually feel somewhat prepared for it.

Optimisim is the way to go lads seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Actually forget burning the sraithpictiuiri I want to do this to mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

French oral tomorrow and I've developed tonsillitis. Fantastic. People keep telling me I can put it off but ugh let's just get it over with tbh (also I doubt my symptoms class as anywhere near serious enough for that sort of carry on, and I have a tendency to hypochondriac out at critical junctures in my life), perhaps my accent will somehow sound more authentic. #optimistic

After tomorrow, I won't ever be obliged to speak French again. Kinda sad.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

I couldn't be any more unprepared for my Irish oral! Know about half the sraith pictiurs but I'm assuming I won't be until Thursday.

My French teacher had us preparing to answer about Boston today

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

Had my french oral today, and I thought it went well (I really want an A) but I keep replaying it in my mind, going over the mistakes I made! Aaaahhh it's killing me not knowing what I got! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Can someone explain to me the MC? Does the examiner not ask you?

I'm planning on saying Ma fhaighim na pointi cui, ansin rachainn chuig Colaiste na Trionoide and deanfaidh me staidear ar an dli?

And french and russian cramming for the rest of the week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

yournerd wrote: »

I'm planning on saying Ma fhaighim na pointi cui, ansin rachainn chuig Colaiste na Trionoide and deanfaidh me staidear ar an dli?

The MC is basically the conditional tense. e.g "I would go" !
    You don't HAVE to be asked, but many people do be. The most popular question being "Cad a dhéanfá dá mbuafá an crannchur náisiunta?" - What would you do if you won the national lotto.

yournerd wrote: »

I wouldn't say that sentence because you don't use the MC there. Essentially what you said in english is: "If I GET the points, then I WOULD go to Trinity and I WILL study law" Do you see how it doesn't make sense mixing the present and conditional and future? It has to be: if I get the points, I WILL go to trinity....etc

So you say this: "Ma fhaighim na pointi cui, ansin rachaidh mé chuig Colaiste na Tríonóide agus déanfaidh mé....."

When using the MC, the examiner may ask you something like: "Dá mbéafá i do Thaoiseach, cad a dhéanfá?" - then you have to answer in the MC because he has asked you - "if you were taoiseach, what would you do?" So then you would answer like: "Chruthóinn níos mó postanna agus...."

Hope I made sense! :)

Can someone give me an example of the MC for something to do with school please

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

.. I can't think of any for school that make proper sense, but for holidays maybe you could say : "Dá mbeadh an airgead agam, rachainn ar saoire go dtí an Spáin..." or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Well if you were asked about being a principle > Thabharfainn leathlá do na daltaí gach Dé Ceadaoin chun sos a thabhairt dóibh ó na leabhair.

• Advertisement

Can I be asked those awkward questions even if I'm ordinary level considering they don't know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

You could say something like "Dá mbeinn i mo phriomhoide, d'athroinn an eide scoile"

Dá mbéafá i do phriomoide, cad a athrófá?

Dá mbéafá i d'Aire an toideachas, cad a dheanfá? <---- fairly sure the grammar in this one is fairly awful but what would you do if you were minister of education?

Thanks lads, for inis dom fut fein?. What would ye talk about.? I don't really want to launch straight into caitheamh aimsire like.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

They are in my irish book(pass) but I don't think they will ask you, only if you seem to have flawless answers to the questions then maybe, i'll just say ní thuigim mé or whatever :P spent enough time on a subject I'm not even using for points!

I'm the same I feel like I'm wasting time with Irish when I don't count it towards my points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Keep it simple, say something like 'Is scoil mhaith í, déarfainn' - It's a good school I would say. Or maybe 'mholfainn an t-ábhar sin go mór' - I would really recommend that subject.

Examiners are not supposed to get into silly set-piece questions to try to elicit the conditional mood (we were told this at the Oral Irish examiners' conference though some teachers who have not attended find it hard to let go). It is supposed to come up naturally if at all.

The 'crannchur náisiunta' and the rest is just predictable and learned off so asking such questions achieves little. If a student uses it reasonably naturally in the course of their conversation the examiner will be happy. Do not expect a big 'event' where you will have a Módh Coinníollach 'moment'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Thanks lads, for inis dom fut fein?. What would ye talk about.? I don't really want to launch straight into caitheamh aimsire like.

Describe yourself....sporting, kind, musical etc. Talk about brothers, sisters, what ages they are, what they are doing. Where your parents are from. Do you have a pet? How do you get on with the family? There's lots to say without launching into caitheamh aimsire if you prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Have my Spanish oral tomorrow sh*ting a brick. AHHHHH I feel prepared but at the same time I feel I don't know anything. Anyone else feel this way?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Have my Spanish oral tomorrow sh*ting a brick. AHHHHH I feel prepared but at the same time I feel I don't know anything. Anyone else feel this way?

Yes this exactly.. I dont know if im as prepared as I could be or if im clueless!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement