Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

172 out of 240 in my Irish oral.

I have burned the srath pictuirs !

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

How do you know what you got? Well done by the way! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

My fella marker under the table so you couldn't see :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

"Today my life begins" by Bruno Mars which I had never heard before today but it's do damn catchy!!

I knew there'd be a time when I'd hate my surname beginning with an M. Irish oral won't be until Thursday/Friday because of the way they split the year in the middle of the Ms. I got the awkward position of number 79 so I'm just at the end/start of the day too. There's only 6 people after me and I'll be the last to do it from my class by like 15 people :(

I know that is annoying but hopefully they usually don't run faster, it is more likely to be a little behind so you might be first on friday and i think first is great!! nobody ahead of you and often the brain is freshest when you only wake up a little while ago than later on in the day so i would see that as a good thing for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Wasn't meant to have my French oral till tomorrow and ended up having it today. It went so fast and all the stuff I wanted to say I didn't :( I was do unprepared for it! :( but at least it's over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

HPMS wrote: »
    How do you know what you got? Well done by the way! :)

She was marking it on the table in front of me. She made no attempt to cover it up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Just applied for my accommodation, aaaahhhh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Anyone had a Spanish oral yet? How did it go/what questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

What do ye all make of maynooth? I have It down in case I don't get ucd!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

She was marking it on the table in front of me. She made no attempt to cover it up

Ugh wish I knew what I got, its really annoying that you never officially find out what you got

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I hope my Irish examiner is like that next week. Would love to know what I get.

What do ye all make of maynooth? I have It down in case I don't get ucd!

it's lovely, I'm heading there in September! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Glee_GG wrote: »
    Ugh wish I knew what I got, its really annoying that you never officially find out what you got

You can find out if you view your scripts. You'll not get an out and out mark for the oral but you can work backwards and get it. I think I'll view mine, necessary or not :pac: The curiosity of what I got in certain questions or what marks my essays got will be too much to ignore :p

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

I wouldn't take that result as a given because afaik the Orals are listened to again in the Summer so you're result may go up or down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Lucan Bohs wrote: »
    I wouldn't take that result as a given because afaik the Orals are listened to again in the Summer so you're result may go up or down.

Are you sure? I thought the orals were only recorded for re checks ...

Prodigious wrote: »
    Are you sure? I thought the orals were only recorded for re checks ...

My German teacher did the Orals a few years ago and that's what she said, obviously it may have changed since then.

I was going to say this too :) but i mean your result can't change that much. The examiners are experienced enough to do the orals so they won't get your result that wrong it would only change a little so you are probably safe enough

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    I was going to say this too :) but i mean your result can't change that much. The examiners are experienced enough to do the orals so they won't get your result that wrong it would only change a little so you are probably safe enough

That's true although if you have a younger examiner she/he may be not as strict/too strict etc. my German examiner today was young enough, not to mention a bit of a bitch so she was probably a bit stingy on the marks :P

That's true although if you have a younger examiner she/he may be not as strict/too strict etc. my German examiner today was young enough, not to mention a bit of a bitch so she was probably a bit stingy on the marks :P

Yea that is true mine was quite young too! hahah well thats good you will only go up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I was under the impression that very few tapes would be listened to again, only a small minority as a sample? No idea where I got this from to be fair. I'd rather mine wasn't listened to again tbh, the standard for French in my school isn't very high really (teachers aren't great) so despite the mistakes I made I'm pretty sure I would still have been one of the best. I don't know if that would have any influence on the examiner but I can hope that she might've marked me a bit easier. :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Younger inexperienced examiners tend to be a bit more 'stick to the rules' than older more relaxed experienced examiners. Often this is because they are afraid if they do anything wrong they won't get employed to examine again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Just had a mock comhra part of the oral and it was the worst it's ever been. It wasn't going too bad for the first 5 minutes but after that it went rapidly downhill until I couldn't even form a sentence. This led to some extremely watery eyes and then the teacher offering me a tissue. Mortified isn't even the word.

The good news is that I get to do it all over again tomorrow as a full mock with an external examiner who I kind of know. :(

I seriously need some sleep. Looks like I'll be having an early night tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Anyone heading to the Applied Maths in Trinity tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Finallllly did my Irish oral today :D She said I did really well so hoping I got at least an A2!
    Unless she says that to everyone.... :rolleyes:

My friend said to me today 'I can't really imagine you working hard enough to even get 400 points' surely that should motivate me :pac:

Just had a mock comhra part of the oral and it was the worst it's ever been. It wasn't going too bad for the first 5 minutes but after that it went rapidly downhill until I couldn't even form a sentence. This led to some extremely watery eyes and then the teacher offering me a tissue. Mortified isn't even the word.

The good news is that I get to do it all over again tomorrow as a full mock with an external examiner who I kind of know. :(

I seriously need some sleep. Looks like I'll be having an early night tonight.

I get this

Nerves are one of the worst bits of the whole oral! My voice tends to get awful shaky and broken and I could barely speak English like that never mind Irish

Do any of ye find the oral almost too short? The comhrá, at least? I can never get in half the stuff I intend to. Do you have to use the entire minute they give you before the SP or could you just start into it straight away? That's an extra minute I could use for the comhrá

Do any of ye find the oral almost too short? The comhrá, at least? I can never get in half the stuff I intend to. Do you have to use the entire minute they give you before the SP or could you just start into it straight away? That's an extra minute I could use for the comhrá

My oral literally felt about 4/5 minutes long! It was over before I knew it. As for the SP I wasn't given anytime to look over mine. The examiner gave me the envelope to pick one out asked me the name and opened his own book and told me start.

Yeah, they go scarily quick. Going overtime on SPs is becoming a serious problem of mine at this stage

I get this

Nerves are one of the worst bits of the whole oral! My voice tends to get awful shaky and broken and I could barely speak English like that never mind Irish

You don't have to use the whole minute before sp but if you didn't they won't let you use it for comhrá because they allocate a certain time for each thing which can't be changed but i do get what you mean that you feel you have more to add in!thats completely normal you just have to think of all the things you did get to put in!:)

• Advertisement

I'm so ridiculously unprepared for German on Monday. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement