Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

If I get the last BG(jugendherberge) I'm gonna cry. I hate it so much, and can't get my head around it. Which part are you dreading the most? Tbf I'm all right with most of it, hoping for at least a B in some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I get this

Nerves are one of the worst bits of the whole oral! My voice tends to get awful shaky and broken and I could barely speak English like that never mind Irish

Do any of ye find the oral almost too short? The comhrá, at least? I can never get in half the stuff I intend to. Do you have to use the entire minute they give you before the SP or could you just start into it straight away? That's an extra minute I could use for the comhrá
    It wasn't even nerves that got to me though, actually I was less nervous than I usually am. Every single thing I wanted to say I knew how to in French but I could not for the life of me say it in Irish. The amount of times I said "cinnte" as well was through the roof which probably wasn't good. The exact same thing happened in my mock French oral too, the whole watery eyes/runny nose combination. Hopefully though the real thing will be alright though, seeing as the French one went swimmingly (at least I thought it did!). I'll have to live in torture though until Thursday for the real thing, while I watch most of my friends get it out of the way on Monday and Tuesday. :(

I think the tiredness got to me. In the two classes before lunch I could barely keep my eyes open. I thought I had made a recovery though by the time the mini oral came around. A few people said to me yesterday that I looked tired which is the first time anyone has ever said that to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

We're not doing them, we opted for the project. Which I'm okay with cos i have it completely learned off so I'm guaranteed points there.

Once i learn the RPs 1,2 and 5 I'll be okay with them, i find em alright to improvise.
    I'm just terrified that i won't understand her in the allegemeine frage cos our teacher hasn't really went about asking us things and we didn't have a mock, so I'm just learning off info on family, next year, last year, hobbies etc.

Also I'm last on the list so I'll have to wait all day to get it over with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

It wasn't even nerves that got to me though, actually I was less nervous than I usually am. Every single thing I wanted to say I knew how to in French but I could not for the life of me say it in Irish. The amount of times I said "cinnte" as well was through the roof which probably wasn't good. The exact same thing happened in my mock French oral too, the whole watery eyes/runny nose combination. Hopefully though the real thing will be alright though, seeing as the French one went swimmingly (at least I thought it did!). I'll have to live in torture though until Thursday for the real thing, while I watch most of my friends get it out of the way on Monday and Tuesday. :(

I think the tiredness got to me. In the two classes before lunch I could barely keep my eyes open. I thought I had made a recovery though by the time the mini oral came around. A few people said to me yesterday that I looked tired which is the first time anyone has ever said that to me.

:(

A good rest'll sort it out :)

Yeah, I'm on late in the week too. More prep time that way! Although it's a strange situation, I want the oral to be as far away as possible but at the same time I want to do it now, ní thuigim :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

@ Peekachoo . Well, you don't look to be in such a bad shape. Just play the AF slowly and you should be fine. You can always ask her to repeat the question. If you have your stuff prepared you can just keep going (on topic) until she/he stops you.

P.S: We didn't have a mock also, our teacher says it's a waste of time..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Anyone have a seanfhocal handy for Gadaiocht ar an Traein? :)

I know exactly what you mean. Being on Thursday gives me more time to prepare but also more time for me to turn myself into a nervous wreck. Which I am highly likely to do.

SlowShow: Filleann an feall ar an bhfeallaire. I've never actually had to use it though :(

mixery wrote: »
    @ Peekachoo . Well, you don't look to be in such a bad shape. Just play the AF slowly and you should be fine. You can always ask her to repeat the question. If you have your stuff prepared you can just keep going (on topic) until she/he stops you.

P.S: We didn't have a mock also, our teacher says it's a waste of time..

at least I'm not the only one without a mock then!

Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

When do ye all have yer Irish/French/German/Spanish oral next week? :P I've my Irish on Wednesday or Thursday.. The only part I'm dreading is the Sraith pictures, because if I pick a horrible one (An Clann Siomóin) I won't do too well at all on that section.. :P

ray2012 wrote: »
    When do ye all have yer Irish/French/German/Spanish oral next week? :P I've my Irish on Wednesday or Thursday.. The only part I'm dreading is the Sraith pictures, because if I pick a horrible one (An Clann Siomóin) I won't do too well at all on that section.. :P

I got the Sraith when they go to Malaga and on the first picture I forgot the word for holiday and sat in silence until my examiner told me the word. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

peekachoo wrote: »
    I got the Sraith when they go to Malaga and on the first picture I forgot the word for holiday and sat in silence until my examiner told me the word. :P

Isn't it amazing how much you can blank in an oral on words you know! At least that's such a small detail that it wouldn't affect your result :)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Someone in my class got that sraith (who's never in school) and thought it meant problems in school and talked about being in the principals office when they were in the travel agents etc. and just skipped the picture with the plane because she didn't have a clue why they would be in the airport :pac:

I got the third one I was delighted :D

Was the title not a bit of a give away "Fadhbanna ar saoire"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I have Spanish on Tuesday. Seeing as I only did my Irish oral today my brain is just completely tuned out from Spanish :L

On a side note I got that sraith "Obair Dheonach" today :P

David1994 wrote: »
    I have Spanish on Tuesday. Seeing as I only did my Irish oral today my brain is just completely tuned out from Spanish :L

On a side note I got that sraith "Obair Dheonach" today :P

Wow what a horrible picture to get. By far my worst. If I get it I might just get up and leave the room.. :rolleyes:

Was the title not a bit of a give away "Fadhbanna ar saoire"!

I was panicking! :P it was alright after I made up for it with good vocab and seanfhocals, hopefully anyway :)

Wow what a horrible picture to get. By far my worst. If I get it I might just get up and leave the room.. :rolleyes:

Really you think? I honestly didn't mind that one :P I suppose there isn't that much to say in it really.... :L

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

I got number 4 and said the wrong team won the straith **** my life.
    I also never got say my favourite subject or my caithaemh aimsire cause she decided to make it an informative interview on russia.

David1994 wrote: »
    Really you think? I honestly didn't mind that one :P I suppose there isn't that much to say in it really.... :L

I find that there is too much writing in the pictures and some of it is fairly complicated! I suppose it depends on what kind of notes you've written out for it though :P My favourite has to be number 2, 'Na húsáid Carta Creidhmeasa gan cead' I think.. !

I find that there is too much writing in the pictures and some of it is fairly complicated! I suppose it depends on what kind of notes you've written out for it though :P My favourite has to be number 2, 'Na húsáid Carta Creidhmeasa gan cead' I think.. !

True... :P I would have to say my ideal one to get would of been number 9(where the school went on fire) ! It has really nice vocab which kinda let you show more knowledge of the language I suppose :L

• Advertisement

Mock Irish oral was a complete disaster. Again. It would have been fine had I not got the taithi oibre sraith, which I haven't gone over in 2 weeks and hate with a passion. I managed to completely waffle my way through it but then couldn't put a question together and had a major breakdown so the examiner had to spend 5 minutes calming me down :L

Our actual teacher told me afterwards to go home and do nothing for the weekend, not to tough a scrap of Irish.

What have I become :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Watching these U21 games through Irish counts as oral preparation if anyone asks >.>

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Mock Irish oral was a complete disaster. Again. It would have been fine had I not got the taithi oibre sraith, which I haven't gone over in 2 weeks and hate with a passion. I managed to completely waffle my way through it but then couldn't put a question together and had a major breakdown so the examiner had to spend 5 minutes calming me down :L

Our actual teacher told me afterwards to go home and do nothing for the weekend, not to tough a scrap of Irish.

What have I become :(
    I had my proper Irish oral Tuesday and it was 10 times better than any mock oral I did! The examiners also help you a lot when you can't think of things to say.

There's no need to panic about them it will be a lot easier than you think you will be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I had my Irish oral last Wednesday, I haven't posted it up how it went because I just couldn't tell myself and was a bit worried I had messed it up!

Anyway before the tape or anything was started when I was walking into the room the examiner was "Dia dhuit!" I said back "Táim ceart go leor!" *Facepalm* anyway when I realised my mistake I said fine but a bit nervous! So I got Colscaradh and Ag Todhadh Scolaire Na Bliana, the two didn't want to get! But I could see she gave me full marks for the poem and I think my sraithpictiuir was fairly watertight so hopefully good marks there!

Then she asked me where I lived and the second I mentioned the town where I live she asked me a load of stuff about tourism in the town! Which sort of took me off guard and as a consequence I'm worried I made a good few grammar mistakes :( she didn't ask me anything on my pastimes, the school, my subjects, plans for the summer which I was disappointed with cause those are things nearly everyone gets asked and I would be able to talk so well about. Now in fairness though she was a lovely examiner and really did seem to be very generous with marks so hopefully I'll do well! But I keep on concentrating and remembering the parts where I spluttered out only okay answers rather than the times when I actually gave good answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Had Spanish on Tuesday. Went quite well, kept messing up the tense but then correcting myself immediately so I'm not entirely sure how many marks I'll lose for that. She examiner was quite peculiar, I'm pretty sure it was her first year examining as she had an inspector in while examining someone else. The first question she asked me was 'Do you remember what you got for your last birthday?' I understood and could answer easily, but I was a bit wtf are you at, isn't this meant to be a conversation?

Looking forward to Irish on Tuesday/Wednesday.. they can't tell me what day I'll be on which is a bit of a joke in my opinion but unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it. I'll probably just focus mostly on the sraith pictuir to be honest. I get the feeling that if I get one of the ones I really don't like I'll become flustered and my comhra won't go as well. I'd be fairly happy with a B in Irish so there isn't much pressure on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Does anyone know if schools are usually opened on Sundays? I forgot all my Irish oral notes and am completely screwed :'( and my oral is on Monday :'( I actually want to cry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Yeah I keep thinking on all the negatives of the French oral, like in fairness for the most part it went quite well but there was also one excruciating moment and a few similarly hairy ones. Went a bit mad interchanging between passé composé and imparfait when describing when I was in France too but sure I can scarcely remember that now, hopefully I didn't mess up too badly. I suppose it's easier to remember the negatives than the positives!

Also ew seriously not jealous of getting Scoláire na Bliana, I'd nearly cry if I got it though I did spend a while today squeezing some more words out of it.

@Legion. I don't think you'll be penalised for making mistakes and correcting them at all really, that does reflect a good understanding after all!

Feeling OK about Irish as I'm much more natural and fluid at it than French so hopefully it'll be OK. :)

Does anyone know if schools are usually opened on Sundays? I forgot all my Irish oral notes and am completely screwed :'( and my oral is on Monday :'( I actually want to cry :(

I don't think they do :s but it would be best to ring your school first thing in the morning to check or if the school has a website i'm sure it would say?
    What time are you at on Monday? Are all your friends doing the oral now too or is there anyone you could borrow notes off?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    I don't think they do :s but it would be best to ring your school first thing in the morning to check or if the school has a website i'm sure it would say?
    What time are you at on Monday? Are all your friends doing the oral now too or is there anyone you could borrow notes off?

I'm the tenth person :( I have them all written out and I just had to learn them :( I could get notes from the Internet but its not the same cause the notes I have are from Irish college and they are so good :) I could go to school early Monday. I'm actually such an idiot for not bringing it home :(

• Advertisement

I'm the tenth person :( I have them all written out and I just had to learn them :( I could get notes from the Internet but its not the same cause the notes I have are from Irish college and they are so good :) I could go to school early Monday. I'm actually such an idiot for not bringing it home :(

Yea i know what you mean , at least tenth gives you a little time , you better just go in really early , its unfortunate but you will probably remember more than you think! Just even skimming over stuff for an hour or whatever will help to bring it back to your mind, good luck anyway!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement