Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Legion. wrote: »
    Apparently a lot of it depends on how your brain functions. Some people work well with numbers/shapes etc, and on the other hand people can have flairs for languages and are better with letters/words. That said, there is no substitute for hard work :)

our teacher said something like that recently, "you're either a mathsy person or a language person" awkward silence while I realised I'm neither :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

I actually haven't taken a break in ages :oo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

mixery wrote: »
    I'm worried that my Grammatik has let me down.
    Don't let Gramatik down though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Im sure this has been asked a million times, but how much are yee writing for the aiste?
    I know quality over quantity, they say 2 pages etc etc.. But what are yee act writing? The Irish teacher in my school went to 2 diff inservices and at one they were told with good Irish the 2 page(300 words???) could get someone an A and then another said there wasnt much hope of an A without 3 pages anyway.
    Like Im not hoping for an A but I dont want to be pushing 3+ pages outta myself and end up making more silly mistakes as to writing less but more solid work.
    Uhh the LC has my brain turned to goo, I dont even know if what I wrote makes sense..

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

We were given an envelope today when we finished the LCVP exam! I thought it was something exciting... It was our junior cert certificate :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

deise_girl wrote: »
    Im sure this has been asked a million times, but how much are yee writing for the aiste?
    I know quality over quantity, they say 2 pages etc etc.. But what are yee act writing? The Irish teacher in my school went to 2 diff inservices and at one they were told with good Irish the 2 page(300 words???) could get someone an A and then another said there wasnt much hope of an A without 3 pages anyway.
    Like Im not hoping for an A but I dont want to be pushing 3+ pages outta myself and end up making more silly mistakes as to writing less but more solid work.
    Uhh the LC has my brain turned to goo, I dont even know if what I wrote makes sense..

Ours average out about two and half pages per essay but depending on how general the title is you could add paragraphs from one into another. Our teacher says its loads, I wrote about that much in the mocks and I got 95 so it should be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

This day 3 weeks and ill be finished school .. Pretty scary! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Jade. wrote: »
    We were given an envelope today when we finished the LCVP exam! I thought it was something exciting... It was our junior cert certificate :pac:

We got ours too... Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

deise_girl wrote: »

Does it not say to have between (around) 500-600 words at the top of the essay section? I may be mistaken but I was sure I saw it before! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

ray2012 wrote: »
    Does it not say to have between (around) 500-600 words at the top of the essay section? I may be mistaken but I was sure I saw it before! :P

Average 7 words per line, 30 lines per page. 2 and a half pages.

7 x 30 = 210.

210 x 2.5 = 525

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

My Irish essays are usually 3-ish pages, depending if I'm on a role or not.

And in other news, a girl that wad in my 3rd year class went into labour 5 weeks early last night, I never even knew she wad pregnant. Then to top it all off she's posted on fb twice today from the hospital about bring in labour/being sick of waiting etc. If I was the one in labour the last thing I would be thinking about is posting on facebook.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

And in other news, a girl that was in my 3rd year class went into labour 5 weeks early last night, I never even knew she wad pregnant. Then to top it all off she's posted on fb twice today from the hospital about bring in labour/being sick of waiting etc. If I was the one in labour the last thing I would be thinking about is posting on facebook.......
    Ugh.

How old is she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Girl in my year (well she may have dropped out, dunno) is pregnant atm.

Announced it to the world on FB "me mas gona ****in kill me....I'm havin damos kid" to make it even better, 'damo' was locked up the week she found out for posession of class A drugs and she is friends with her mam on FB so that's how her mam found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

decisions wrote: »
    Girl in my year (well she may have dropped out, dunno) in pregnant atm.

Announced it to the world on FB "me mas gona ****in kill me....I'm havin damos kid" to make it even better, 'damo' was locked up the week she found out for posession of class A drugs and she is friends with her mam on FB so that's how her mam found out.

I feel sorry for you because you had to go to the school with her.

Girl in my year (well she may have dropped out, dunno) in pregnant atm.

Sounds like a classy girl!

Ugh.

How old is she?

17/18. 18 I think.

I can think of at least 4 other girls who were in my original year group who have children now aswell. I distinctly remember one of them drinking and smoking at the debs last year while pregnant.

Prodigious wrote: »
    We got ours too... Why?

Not a clue someone said some people need them for grants or something

I can think of at least 4 other girls who were in my original year group who have children now aswell. I distinctly remember one of them drinking and smoking at the debs last year while pregnant.
    Man, thats awful. I often wonder if there is something wrong with these kids, if they have low IQ's or are just flat out ignorant.

I went to primary school with her,we were good friends. She used to be lovely and quite clever, I don't know how we ended so different?

I went to primary school with her,we were good friends. She used to be lovely and quite clever, I don't know how we ended so different?
    Maybe she got caught up with the wrong crowd? Its a shame.

• Advertisement

Not a clue someone said some people need them for grants or something

There was some legal case brought against the SEC a few years ago to do with the certificates and the explanatory notes on them or something so they weren't legally allowed to issue the official certificates since 2006/2007 until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

There was some legal case brought against the SEC a few years ago to do with the certificates and the explanatory notes on them or something so they weren't legally allowed to issue the official certificates since 2006/2007 until now.
    Does that mean we all will be getting them soon?

Oh is that the reason! Someone told me they needed them for some college in England thought that was a bit strange!

I felt like throwing it straight in the bin! :pac:

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Does that mean we all will be getting them soon?

Should be. The JC results for the 2010/2011 and last years LC results were sent out to schools, at least I think they were the years. Any year before that has to contact the SEC to get them. :)

We got ours last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

A girl in my school was pregnant at 14, had the baby when she just turned 15. To be fair to her she's been in school ever since, doing her leaving with a 3 year old at home? :O

Oh is that the reason! Someone told me they needed them for some college in England thought that was a bit strange!

I felt like throwing it straight in the bin! :pac:

I think I'll be cherishing my JC results more than my LC results. If I manage to pull off results like those again it'll be nothing short of a miracle.

There was soneone in my school who had a baby in 2nd yr. She went on to get 485 points last yr and is in Trinity now so it's far from the end of the world.

I cant imaging how hard the LC would be with a 5yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

I could swear I got my results certificate in September of 4th year.. what are you lot on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Prodigious wrote: »
    Average 7 words per line, 30 lines per page. 2 and a half pages.

7 x 30 = 210.

210 x 2.5 = 525

7 words per line, jesus how big is your writing?! I can easily fit in 15 words per line..

• Advertisement

Legion. wrote: »
    I could swear I got my results certificate in September of 4th year.. what are you lot on about?

The 'official' certificate. Not the black/white/grey one that everyone gets on results day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement