Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Has any one else only done one chapter in higher math so far? :P
    We have moved onto Chapter 3-Simulatious Equations using the New Concise Project Maths book. About 60 pages into the book. And already finished a 120 page work copy, and almost half way through my 120 page example copy.
    Slow Show wrote: »
    I've been finding Maths to be graaand for the most part, wouldn't describe it as easy but I've been able to do everything
    Oh lads...maths is hard. Really, really hard. I thought I was motoring on fine, thought the hardness of Honours Maths was overrated. Then we had a test, oh lordy...never have I ever been so lost in an exam setting, the thought of it makes me shudder a small little bit. So I probably failed, well I might've passed, I was able to get like two out of ten questions totally right and another few perhaps, though highly unlikely...also if attempts marks are easy to come by, maybe...Gah, I vaguely remember someone else saying they didn't do great in a HL Maths test despite always being grand before...me in a nutshell, I got an A in the JC and got 90's and 100's in class tests and I am dumbfounded. Waaaaaaaaaaaah.
    This was me, exactly me for my first test. I was so confident ahead of the test because I was getting the homework right every night that I didn't even bother studying and got 66%. :( For JC maths, I had an average of 98% in maths tests. As in, over the 3 years, in all summer, Christmas tests, my average score worked out to be 98%. Then a 92% in my Pre's and an A in my JC. And a decent C in my first maths test. It was still 3rd highest but WTF? I liked my 100%'s... :(
    Got back an English essay on the poetry of Hopkins yesterday. Before I got it back the teacher said to me that she might need to get it back off my at some point to put it in the photocopier to hand out to everyone else.....There was me sitting there bright red in the face....I can see myself sliding very far down in the chair whenever she decides to photocopy it......I seriously hate that kind of thing.......although she did draw a smiley face on the bottom of it...:)
    Ugh, that is horrible. As soon as they are handed out, everyone knows it is yours, and the teacher is all "anonymous" about it.

"Someone in the class did the exercise perfect. Lets look at their sample answer."

*Everyone in the class turns and looks at you, before you die of embarrassment*
    Colm! wrote: »
    Kindle Fire looks like it'd be awesome if you removed all the Amazon crap and installed CyanogenMod 7 or something like that. Yeah, I'm an android nerd, so what?
    That was the very first thing I thought when I heard about it. It will be a loss-leader, Amazon will be selling it at a loss, hoping to make money back through ebook sales, so for what you get, it'll be great value.
    Yep, I was in the national finals of the concern debates last year but due to problems with getting in this year (in other words: our teacher FORGOT TO ENTER), we're doing a more local competition this year. I love it. It's actually the most fun thing I did in TY, and also the least-fun sounding thing I did in TY.

I actually debated that motion against other non-debating team members of my class before. It was basically Debating Team vs. Everyone Else, and we won conclusively because the other team wouldn't volunteer anyone to speak due to being too nervous. Winning.
    We have a large team this year as well, we will have spare speakers for the first time, so we may be able to get further than the quarters this year. :D We got our motions for the Concern debates today as well. We got one horrible one which we have no chance of winning unless the other team are retarded. We are meant to propose the motion: "Obama has been good for Africa since his election". Seriously, WTF! We have 'til February for him to do something amazing for Africa or we could be giving up 3 points just for being given the wrong end of a stupid motion. >.<

/monster post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Taking a day off was the worst idea ever. We did so much Maths and even more Applied Maths and I don't get any of it and I have an Applied Maths test on it all tomorrow.

Now will you excuse me while I go cry in a corner. :(

Observes distinct lack of crying 'Smilies'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Suup;) . So 5th years started and I'm happy so far with everything except Maths. 3 different teachers in a month - that doesn't help. Ag Science - such a great subject!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Am I the only one whos finding 5th Year a bit of a doss so far? Seriously Id never have more than 2 hours of homework a night, maybe less!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Am I the only one whos finding 5th Year a bit of a doss so far? Seriously Id never have more than 2 hours of homework a night, maybe less!

Same apart from this weekend, only started it a few minutes ago haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

mixery wrote: »
    Suup;) . So 5th years started and I'm happy so far with everything except Maths. 3 different teachers in a month - that doesn't help. Ag Science - such a great subject!

Hate you! Would have LOVED it have done Ag science!

Anyone else at the Model Parliment in NUIM today..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Adrienne Rich...is a bitch.

Hehehehe lol almost rhymes lol...God I miss junior cert...to clarify, I don't even hate ole Richster, she's not the worst but Christ this shizz is hard to write about coherently.

Zzzzzzzzzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Adrienne Rich...is a bitch.

Hehehehe lol almost rhymes lol...God I miss junior cert...to clarify, I don't even hate ole Richster, she's not the worst but Christ this shizz is hard to write about coherently.

Zzzzzzzzzz.

Adrienne Rich fo'dayyz! Got an A in a test about her the last day. Tbh I do hate her do, always going on about men being cnuts and what not :pac: And then I have to turn my back on my gender and say "Adrienne Rich's themes are as relevant today as they were in the 1960, in my opinion she is one of the great female role models of the 20th century." All she does is complain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

ye with your poetry, I had to write an essay on fecking Banquo. I mean, I like Macbeth, but Banquo with his blandness can just feck off tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

ye with your poetry, I had to write an essay on fecking Banquo. I mean, I like Macbeth, but Banquo with his blandness can just feck off tbh

I know right! Banquo is so boring - I mean he is killed off half way through the play...not much to write about there.

Wordsworth is so boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

decisions wrote: »
    Wordsworth is so boring.

Summarising Wordsworth:
    I am a boring, lonely person.
    I saw some daffodils.
    That makes me happy.

I know right! Banquo is so boring - I mean he is killed off half way through the play...not much to write about there.
    The main point of Banquo in the play is that he can do some great things that change the play. But he doesn't, and continues being Banquo and boring the **** out of everyone.

In other news from Facebook, I'm sure this isn't how Shakespeare wanted his work to be discussed by future generations:

G93xS.png

Summarising Wordsworth:
    I am a boring, lonely person.
    I saw some daffodils.
    That makes me happy.

Don't forget
    I feel the need to worship
    nature

We finished the Light chapters in physics today. I was looking really forward to starting Mechanics but of course, a couple of people in my class decided to beg my teacher to do particle physics which should not be done until next year!!! Since my teacher is so gullible and can't teach for her life, she said yes. Help me! She made the Light chapters seem impossible -- what will particle physics be like with her?!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

We finished the Light chapters in physics today. I was looking really forward to starting Mechanics but of course, a couple of people in my class decided to beg my teacher to do particle physics which should not be done until next year!!! Since my teacher is so gullible and can't teach for her life, she said yes. Help me! She made the Light chapters seem impossible -- what will particle physics be like with her?!!!

Goddamn it. I'd love to do the chapter on particle physics. It'd be so so interesting.

Goddamn it. I'd love to do the chapter on particle physics. It'd be so so interesting.

I know it's going to be interesting - probably the most interesting on the course...but I just don't think we should have moved onto that so quickly right after light. You know what I mean? Ah well, at least it'll be interesting unless my terrible teacher completely destroys the chapter :eek:

Finished light about a week and a half ago, mechanics is so easy, and it is so boring compared to applied maths.

Detention next Wednesday!!! YAY!!!

Anyone else love chemistry?! So much love for it! Also my teachers amazing and has this really cool english accent . . I could listen to her all day!

• Advertisement

What's everyone thinking about Applied Maths? And did ye start off with the ordinary level course first or the higher?

I only have one class a week and we are doing bits of higher level. Atm we are doing relative vel. and I am finding some of the ordinary stuff hard! Dreading the higher! Anyone else feeling the same?

What's everyone thinking about Applied Maths? And did ye start off with the ordinary level course first or the higher?

I only have one class a week and we are doing bits of higher level. Atm we are doing relative vel. and I am finding some of the ordinary stuff hard! Dreading the higher! Anyone else feeling the same?
    App. Maths makes perfect sense in class, but as soon as I go home and have a question to do, it suddenly becomes impossible.

Jackobyte wrote: »
    App. Maths makes perfect sense in class, but as soon as I go home and have a question to do, it suddenly becomes impossible.

Exactly! but what is worrying me is the fact that I am finding some of the ordinary level questions difficult - and I always thought I was good at maths! :eek: Are you doing it as an extra?

We started with the velocity/acceleration chapter V=U + at and all that and were just finished. It grand til we got to exam questions but our teacher said its just because we're not fully used to it yet. Doing vectors now and everyone in 6th year told us that once we get vectors done the rest is manageable enough so should be grand.

Also I hate Hopkins poetry with a passion and he should really have told someone else his problems because I really don't care. Also our whole class has come to the conclusion that he was secretly gay, which makes him slightly cooler, but our teacher totally disagrees with us :L :p

Glee_GG wrote: »
    [

We started with the velocity/acceleration chapter V=U + at and all that and were just finished. It grand til we got to exam questions but our teacher said its just because we're not fully used to it yet. Doing vectors now and everyone in 6th year told us that once we get vectors done the rest is manageable enough so should be grand.

I finished the vel/accel chapter a couple of weeks ago. I loved that - I understood everything in it - just the relative vel is getting me. In fact, this may seem sad but I am still not completely sure what a vector is lol my teacher kind of just brushed over it. Like, if a vector is 2i + 3j --- what do the numbers stand for ?? Meters, kilometres, the speed? Sad, right?? I suppose it is only 5th yr -- I have a whole 2 yrs before the LC...

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

Also I hate Hopkins poetry with a passion and he should really have told someone else his problems because I really don't care. Also our whole class has come to the conclusion that he was secretly gay, which makes him slightly cooler, but our teacher totally disagrees with us :L :p

I hate it too!
    'No miss, I actually DON'T think that the word sandal is a metaphor for Jesus Christ and the divine, thanks all the same'

I think if I actually said that to my English teacher they'd be scraping bits of me off the wall for weeks! She's a very... Passionate woman.

In other news I have a very hot black eye at the mo :P

Exactly! but what is worrying me is the fact that I am finding some of the ordinary level questions difficult - and I always thought I was good at maths! :eek: Are you doing it as an extra?

I'm doing it as an extra outside school, have one hour and a half class once a week. I understand all the vectors and things, and I can do most linear motion questions, I just can't do any of the real tricky ones. And it doesn't help that my teacher uses a different method from the book examples. His method seems easier, but trying to work out an answer by looking at the book examples just gets me confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I'm sure I read somewhere that he actually was gay.

French will seriously drive me mad. We've to write a letter for Monday and I can't even say the first point..........and I know that it's definately something that I should be able to say.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I'm sure I read somewhere that he actually was gay.

French will seriously drive me mad. We've to write a letter for Monday and I can't even say the first point..........and I know that it's definately something that I should be able to say.:(

What is it? :) I totes think we should all help each other through this difficult and turbulent year...

So ermmm yeah I have a page of maths questions that I'm completely lost with >.>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement