Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

CAO Letter :S

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

user.name wrote: »
    I binned mine, half of the courses aren't even on it anymore :pac:

just binned mine too. An email would have sufficed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

peekachoo wrote: »
    just binned mine too. An email would have sufficed :P

Well you get that everytime you change around, at least you get some sort of official letter from them which is nice to be totally sure every thing is right! Also CAO letters can be used for proof of address with banks and that so I'd keep it just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Speaking of CAO, Any suggestions for someone with no interests and does not have a clue what they want to do with their life? I registered with science as my first choice but I don't want to do that anymore, I have been considering repeating instead if college, to give me more time to think, but in all honesty I don't think I can think much more. Help or advice would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Speaking of CAO, Any suggestions for someone with no interests and does not have a clue what they want to do with their life? I registered with science as my first choice but I don't want to do that anymore, I have been considering repeating instead if college, to give me more time to think, but in all honesty I don't think I can think much more. Help or advice would be much appreciated.

If I were you I'd either repeat, or take a year off and work while thinking about your decision. There's no point just picking a course for the sake of it and then end up spending your rest of you life in a job you absolutely despise. Sure you could just drop out and do another course but you lose your free fees for the year.
    But sure what does interest you? What's your favourite subject? I'm sure all of us on boards can give you some advice about what course based on that! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

For a comparative essay, how many comparisons/contrasts is considered the right amount? I have an answer I'm considering learning off and counted 19 of them. Is that enough for an A1 or are they looking for more?

kingcobra wrote: »
    If I were you I'd either repeat, or take a year off and work while thinking about your decision. There's no point just picking a course for the sake of it and then end up spending your rest of you life in a job you absolutely despise. Sure you could just drop out and do another course but you lose your free fees for the year.
    But sure what does interest you? What's your favourite subject? I'm sure all of us on boards can give you some advice about what course based on that! :D

Truth is I'm pretty meh about all my subjects, and mediocre at all of them :( I do Maths, English, Irish, Biology, Business, Art, Spanish and Link Modules, all higher bar Maths and LCVP. I used to love Bio, and I was really good at it, but I started falling behind at the end if 5th year, I studied a bit over summer but it didn't seem to help. If I talk to my Careers Guidance teacher about it, I can see the conversation going 1 of 2 ways, she's going to push me to keep with science for third level, or she's going to ask me why I stopped liking bio, and I can't really answer that. And the terrible truth is that I don't have any interests, I watch tv, go to the cinema and check out boards for recreation. I've a pretty boring life.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Truth is I'm pretty meh about all my subjects, and mediocre at all of them :( I do Maths, English, Irish, Biology, Business, Art, Spanish and Link Modules, all higher bar Maths and LCVP. I used to love Bio, and I was really good at it, but I started falling behind at the end if 5th year, I studied a bit over summer but it didn't seem to help. If I talk to my Careers Guidance teacher about it, I can see the conversation going 1 of 2 ways, she's going to push me to keep with science for third level, or she's going to ask me why I stopped liking bio, and I can't really answer that.

That's a good question though, why did you stop like biology? :pac: I would imagine Biology in college is better than the way it is in secondary school because you get to apply what you know to real life. I don't know that for sure, but it seems plausible :p
    I wouldn't take into consideration whether you're good at a subject or not, unless you're absolutely dire at it, because it'll be easier to get back up to speed if you like the subject, maybe not prepared enough for the Leaving itself, but over the summer and the first few months in college. I'd imagine for general science degrees they'd have revision classes as well during the courses so that might help.

kingcobra wrote: »
    That's a good question though, why did you stop like biology? :pac: I would imagine Biology in college is better than the way it is in secondary school because you get to apply what you know to real life. I don't know that for sure, but it seems plausible :p
    I wouldn't take into consideration whether you're good at a subject or not, unless you're absolutely dire at it, because it'll be easier to get back up to speed if you like the subject, maybe not prepared enough for the Leaving itself, but over the summer and the first few months in college. I'd imagine for general science degrees they'd have revision classes as well during the courses so that might help.

Well, I reckon I only liked it cause I was good at it, and when I stopped being good at it, I stopped liking it. I know it's a stupid reason to like a subject, but now I have no attraction to study it in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Truth is I'm pretty meh about all my subjects, and mediocre at all of them :( I do Maths, English, Irish, Biology, Business, Art, Spanish and Link Modules, all higher bar Maths and LCVP. I used to love Bio, and I was really good at it, but I started falling behind at the end if 5th year, I studied a bit over summer but it didn't seem to help. If I talk to my Careers Guidance teacher about it, I can see the conversation going 1 of 2 ways, she's going to push me to keep with science for third level, or she's going to ask me why I stopped liking bio, and I can't really answer that. And the terrible truth is that I don't have any interests, I watch tv, go to the cinema and check out boards for recreation. I've a pretty boring life.

I'm the exact same as you except I do home ec and French instead of art an Spanish.. But ya I don't know what I want to do next year so I put down biological and biomedical science in maynooth as I have always loved biology .. The thing is I know nobody going and will still be 17 :(

I also have no hobbies either :( I'm thinking changing to a course in a college that's near me just cause its convenient but everyday I'm changing my mind .. My guidance councillor is useless and tells everyone to do plc or level 6/7 courses?? How old are you and did you do TY? :)

• Advertisement

I'm the exact same as you except I do home ec and French instead of art an Spanish.. But ya I don't know what I want to do next year so I put down biological and biomedical science in maynooth as I have always loved biology .. The thing is I know nobody going and will still be 17 :(

I also have no hobbies either :( I'm thinking changing to a course in a college that's near me just cause its convenient but everyday I'm changing my mind .. My guidance councillor is useless and tells everyone to do plc or level 6/7 courses?? How old are you and did you do TY? :)

I did TY, so I'm 18. I have to admit for the work experience, I was quite shallow. I went to 2 pharmacies for the "free makeup" (got perfume instead), and I applied through my school for hospital, but got turned down by career guidance teacher for having the teensiest bit if tippex on my cv, so I went to a dentists as a last minute resort. Oh and your Careers guidance teacher sounds ALOT like the one in our school!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

I did TY, so I'm 18. I have to admit for the work experience, I was quite shallow. I went to 2 pharmacies for the "free makeup" (got perfume instead), and I applied through my school for hospital, but got turned down by career guidance teacher for having the teensiest bit if tippex on my cv, so I went to a dentists as a last minute resort. Oh and your Careers guidance teacher sounds ALOT like the one in our school!

That's fairly lousy about the cv! I really don't want to pick a course just cause I feel I have to .. And my career guidance teacher doesn't care what your interested in .. We should be picking IT and computer software etc. even though i haven't the slightest interest!
    I have out down nursing aswell and now I realise how much I'd hate to be a nurse for the next 30 odd years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Sir Alex, lads :eek:

That's fairly lousy about the cv! I really don't want to pick a course just cause I feel I have to .. And my career guidance teacher doesn't care what your interested in .. We should be picking IT and computer software etc. even though i haven't the slightest interest!
    I have out down nursing aswell and now I realise how much I'd hate to be a nurse for the next 30 odd years!

Yeah, this whole thing of picking IT and computer science is ridiculous! Every student in the country is being told the same thing, there are going to be too many people qualified in computers in 5 or 10 years, more than there are jobs, half of these people are going to end up emigrating or on the dole, I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Sir Alex, lads :eek:

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Yeah, this whole thing of picking IT and computer science is ridiculous! Every student in the country is being told the same thing, there are going to be too many people qualified in computers in 5 or 10 years, more than there are jobs, half of these people are going to end up emigrating or on the dole, I reckon!
    Despite all that we are being told about it, there still aren't all that many going for IT from my year. I'm going for it because it is a field that interests me, but as a career, it's not for everyone. Blindly sinking everyone into the same career because of employment opportunities doesn't work, and will just result in mass drop-outs. It's a very abstract field and not one that should be recommended unless the person has some understanding of what it'll entail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

I was never told that. To be quite honest I believe there will always be demand for people with CS degrees. Technology will always be developing and improving. But I'm happy enough to emigrate anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BarrySeoighe

Does anyone have the DEB Exam for Ordinary maths? if u do PM me and ill give u my email. :) Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I've just flicked through my English mock and seen the little note where the examiner said I needed to work on the handwriting. I'd forgotten all about that, at least I got a laugh out of it! I wouldn't mind though but it wasn't even as bad as it usually is during exams, I had a geography test yesterday and I swear I forgot how to write, my hand seemed disconnected from my brain....

And HugsiePie, I feel your CAO pain, I really do. I haven't a clue what to do with myself so until I do it's arts all the way. Don't even get me started on the amount of opposition I've got for that decision.

11charlie11, arts is Maynooth is my first choice and I still haven't managed to track down anyone else going there from my school so we'll have each other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I'm going NUIM too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

See you all in maynooth. ;)

hey can anyone motivate me to study because I genuinely cannot force myself to open a book :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

hey can anyone motivate me to study because I genuinely cannot force myself to open a book :/

http://www.reddit.com/r/GetMotivated

Sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

Currently nursing a Cao induced headache, been set on Law all year and now starting to love the idea of psychology :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

All those motivational memes I see just irritate me tbh. It's like people think they are being insightful when they copy some shitty quote from some movie and put it onto a supposedly inspiring picture of a tree or a mountain or something.

All those motivational memes I see just irritate me tbh. It's like people think they are being insightful when they copy some shitty quote from some movie and put it onto a supposedly inspiring picture of a tree or a mountain or something.

And then continue living exactly the way they are.

Someone wrote on the bathroom wall something along the lines of:

"Stop being a sheep. Indulge creativity. Resist mediocrity. Express yourself and be free"

The usual shïte like. Fair enough, if you're going to do it yourself and actively help others. Writing on the bathroom wall isn't exactly resisting mediocrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Having my weekly UCD or TCD debate with myself . . . they're both fab <3

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

Glee_GG wrote: »
    Having my weekly UCD or TCD debate with myself . . . they're both fab <3

Same here! Only thing putting me off is the distance between Trinity Halls and the College itself and the costs of transport daily :/

• Advertisement

Me too. Seems that I'll have to commute for the first while so it's looking like Trinity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement