Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Finally got my brownies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

decisions wrote: »
    You also have to see it from "the w@nkers" perspective, a lot of stuff happened in schools last year particularly around Dub that left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

Yeh, not having a last day sucks, does the school not have a grad mass/ night out?

Some of the worst pranks were ****ing hilarious.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Some of the worst pranks were ****ing hilarious.. :D

Go on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

2 people (not 6th years) got suspended today for fighting, the reason? one guy farted in the others face.

Its things like this that make me so glad I'm finishing school!

2 people (not 6th years) got suspended today for fighting, the reason? one guy farted in the others face.

Its things like this that make me so glad I'm finishing school!

Sorry but if someone farts in your face, and they're not literally your best mate, they deserve a box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Was home at 3 last night and was in school this morning at 9. then fell asleep until 11 :p

3 ?? we lasted till 5

3 ?? we lasted till 5

Was also out until 5 on grad and it took me 3 days to recover :P

For us the club closed at 3, but me and a friend just chilled in some park and talked for more than an hour before we walked home. Good times :')

We all left the club at 2 and went on to a house party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Prodigious wrote: »
    Go on?

It was a national story I think,but three guys in St.Mary's pretended to kidnapp one of their friends and tied him up naked outside an all girls school.
    The Gardaí were called,a squad car and helicopter was searching for them. :D

• Advertisement

Sorry but if someone farts in your face, and they're not literally your best mate, they deserve a box.

It was more that anyone would be disgusting enough to fart in his face in the first place!

It was more that anyone would be disgusting enough to fart in his face in the first place!

Ah right, I missed the point completely :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Just wondering could anyone give me some advice here, it would be handy if you had experience in English teaching/marking (one of the mods maybe?) but if not it's okay.

My teacher has said for the comparative theme question that we should stick to one type of relationship, lets say friendship, and format it somewhat like this:

Paragraph 1- General Introduction
    Paragraph 2- Text 1- how it's introduced
    Paragraph 3- Text 2- compare how it's introduced
    Paragraph 4- Text 3- compare how it's introduced
    Paragraph 5- Text 1- how it's developed
    Paragraph 6- Text 2- compare how it's developed
    Paragraph 7- Text 3- compare how it's developed
    Paragraph 8- Text 1- how it's resolved
    Paragraph 9- Text 2- compare how it's resolved
    Paragraph 10- Text 3- compare how it's resolved
    Paragraph 11- Conclusion

Now, the way I did it before was I discussed romantic, familial and platonic love (same as friendship) and compared them, but the teacher reckons it would be better to do it on just one aspect. I'm not sure, I'm just wondering would discussing only one aspect be enough? What do you think?

Just wondering could anyone give me some advice here, it would be handy if you had experience in English teaching/marking (one of the mods maybe?) but if not it's okay.

My teacher has said for the comparative theme question that we should stick to one type of relationship, lets say friendship, and format it somewhat like this:

Paragraph 11- Conclusion

Now, the way I did it before was I discussed romantic, familial and platonic love (same as friendship) and compared them, but the teacher reckons it would be better to do it on just one aspect. I'm not sure, I'm just wondering would discussing only one aspect be enough? What do you think?

I've a great english teacher, and honestly your way would be superior from her perspective. It is likely that you will end up summarising if done all on one topic. If doing on romantic, familial, and platonic, it would be more diverse, fresh, and on topic, and more interesting to read.

2nd way is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

I've a great english teacher, and honestly your way would be superior from her perspective. It is likely that you will end up summarising if done all on one topic. If doing on romantic, familial, and platonic, it would be more diverse, fresh, and on topic, and more interesting to read.

2nd way is better.

We had a talk from one of the higher up people in the marking for English and they said to only write about ONE theme. If you pick say, relationships, you pick family relationships, romantic etc. But just one. If you write about 3 or 4 (like I think you're suggesting) you will only be marked on one of them. My teacher had made this point to us also, before we had the talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Paragraph 11- Conclusion

I attended an in-service on the comparative study last year,facilitated by the Chief Examiner for English. He maintains that focusing on one aspect will gain higher marks. He's also the person who writes the paper, the marking scheme and is in charge of the correcting process. The real key to it is to answer the question you're asked and clearly communicate a genuine personal response. I would add that your format looks very rigid - it may not suit the question you're asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Thanks for the replies everyone. The format is not set in stone, it's just a general guide and I would alter it on the day if it did not suit the question. I would have thought that discussing three aspects would make for a more impressive essay, but if focusing on only one will get me more marks then I'll probably do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Thanks for the replies everyone. The format is not set in stone, it's just a general guide and I would alter it on the day if it did not suit the question. I would have thought that discussing three aspects would make for a more impressive essay, but if focusing on only one will get me more marks then I'll probably do that.

Maybe if you were writing a dissertation. In reality, you have a little over an hour to do this. You don't have the time to give each topic the depth it would need. Trying to yoke familial, parental and platonic love into a 5/6 page essay and then trying to unite them in a relatively short conclusion makes for a far less coherent, and thus a far less accomplished, piece of writing. Keep it simple. Truly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

kevin12345 wrote: »
    We had a talk from one of the higher up people in the marking for English and they said to only write about ONE theme. If you pick say, relationships, you pick family relationships, romantic etc. But just one. If you write about 3 or 4 (like I think you're suggesting) you will only be marked on one of them. My teacher had made this point to us also, before we had the talk.

Yes but relationship is the one theme and the family/romantic/platonic etc are just sub-themes/aspects of it? It's still one theme. I think the idea they were conveying is that picking four themes like relationships/isolation/love and passing them all off as your chosen themes won't work, but it's still a discussion of one theme with aspects that bring the central theme into focus. But I get where you're coming from at the same time, the examiner could view that differently!

I'm in no way pretending to know what I'm talking about here, my Theme and Issue is shaky at best and I'm really hoping for Cultural Context, but I discuss my main theme under different aspects eg how it's brought into focus by setting/character relationships/morality etc. It makes the essay more interesting but as I said, I'm not confident of it at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I can't believe it's all over. I actually can't. :(

• Advertisement

Graduation mass yesterday, which was so nice and so bittersweet! Then going out last night was brilliant! Everyone was out last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

I had the best night ever out last night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Is relationships too vague a theme?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Grad night last night was fairly muted. 15 of us went for dinner before mass and had just over an hour to eat 3 courses before legging it to the mass. Mass was really nice and we just about made it through the final song with half the choir in floods of tears, including the teacher. The night out was really quiet, we were stood op by the teachers and nobody knew which pub they were in. Then a good few went home because everyone was unbelievably wrecked or is going out again tonight.

Anyone have any sample shakespeare questions?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

Grad night was brilliant! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Lads, what's all your LC timetables looking like? Short or long LCs? I'm not done till the 19th which is ages away but it's probably better that way cos' I've 5 solid days to study for economics so I don't have to worry about it until after everything elses. Still though, that last week will drag and drag

I'm the Wednesday till the next Thursday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Jade. wrote: »
    I'm the Wednesday till the next Thursday!

Yeah, that's what I had last year with all the exams together. A lot of people finish on that Thursday so that weekend tends to be a good one!

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's what I had last year with all the exams together. A lot of people finish on that Thursday so that weekend tends to be a good one!

Considering Thursday nights are the best in town it's a good day to finish up :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement