Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Just flicking through my physics exam papers there, and OH MY GOD I KNOW NOTHING.

Please me I'm not the only one feeling like this? First time feeling stressed about the exams, they must be close!

I feel the exact same way about biology! I'll be lucky to pass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Out of curiosity how much pages do ye write for 30 marks Geography answers?
    I know it is all about SRPs but just wondering what might be the average amount? :)

I usually end up with around 1 and a half pages to 2 anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭barry194

David1994 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity how much pages do ye write for 30 marks Geography answers?
    I know it is all about SRPs but just wondering what might be the average amount? :)

I usually end up with around 1 and a half pages to 2 anyways.

1 and a half or a bit less usually! How much should we write for the Biome question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

barry194 wrote: »
    1 and a half or a bit less usually! How much should we write for the Biome question?

I'm sure thats plenty anyways.
    In my pre I wrote around 3 and a half pages on characteristics of a biome and got 80/80 so anything around that I'd say is fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Has anyone else done the central limit theorem for maths or are we the only school mad enough ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Has anyone else done the central limit theorem for maths or are we the only school mad enough ;)

It does sound vaguely familiar but I'm not entirely sure what it is :L Is it the yoke that has something to do with distributions and sample size and if n>30 or some other nonsense?

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the factor theorem is? I remember there was a question in one of the sample papers that got you to solve something "using the factor theorem or otherwise". Needless to say I haven't a clue what the factor theorem and my "otherwise" wasn't successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

We covered it on the last day of school. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

We covered it, but I can't remember what it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

decisions wrote: »
    We covered it, but I can't remember what it is

Sums up the entire course for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Is the central limit theorem in the supplement book? If so that's not on our course.
    The factor theorem is that a polynomial f(x) has a factor of (x-a) if f(a)=0. Something like that. It's in the algebra chapters I think.
    On the subject of maths, has anyone done binomial theorem? I saw it in the complex numbers chapter as part of a question but I have never done it.. Anyone know what chapter it is even? The question was to prove the identity of sin 3theta.

Also finding it extremely difficult to study today, have done nothing! :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Maths is realy weird for me because I always fail/barely pass P1, and then get an A in P2. Whatsmore P1 is on the same day as Geography which means I won't study for it whatsoever because I need to put in the work for Geo. Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Is the central limit theorem in the supplement book? If so that's not on our course.
    The factor theorem is that a polynomial f(x) has a factor of (x-a) if f(a)=0. Something like that. It's in the algebra chapters I think.
    On the subject of maths, has anyone done binomial theorem? I saw it in the complex numbers chapter as part of a question but I have never done it.. Anyone know what chapter it is even? The question was to prove the identity of sin 3theta.

AFAIK the binomial theorem's off the course for this yea or so my teacher tells us anyway. It hasn't come up in any of the sample papers either, I don't think soI'll be giving it a miss myself.

I've gone over the factor theorem God knows how many times and it just doesn't click with me. I can prove it cos' I just learned the proof off but if I'm asked to apply it like that one in the samples I'll be lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Yep. But I'm not even ****ing sure if it's on the course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

We didn't do the binomial theorem, our teacher says that's off the course, but she said she wasn't sure about the central limit theorem, and in fairness she's an excellent she'd really have her finger on the the pulse when it comes to math! She told us she went to a project maths in service and asked and the people running it said said they might give (what they phrase) "scaffolding" and that students may have to answer it, but she says they really weren't giving a straight answer, we just did in the very last few days of school.

On the wider topic itself its a total joke that we are exactly a week away from Maths paper 1 and we're not sure what is/isn't on the course, project maths in general has been a total joke, like there is something to be said for making the exam less predictable and improve students problem solving skills, but the manner it has been introduced has been a total disaster, late books, late exam papers, confusion about the syllabus, it was totally rushed, it should've been brought in in its totality for a group of 1st years, the idea of these transition syllabi is ridiculous!</rant>

The last thing project maths has taught me is problem solving skills. If there's one thing it has taught me it is I now hate maths. It has become my biggest enemy over the past 2 years. And I used to love maths but my JC A means diddly-squat to me now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

You can use binomial expansions to use De Moivre's to solve trigonometric identities which is probably where you saw it in complex numbers (@CookieMonster I'm pretty sure I did that question last week if you're uncertain), it makes it a lot easier than working out the brackets but you can do that too I think. Fairly certain we don't have to know anything about the binomial theorem though.

And ermm...what in the world is the central limits theorem?

Do we have to prove the factor theorem??? Is that not just like f(2)=0, then a factor is x-2?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

andrew369 wrote: »
    Sums up the entire course for me

Oh god, yes, yes, yes.
    Amen to that.

Infact its so bad sometimes, I think its an achievement that I can actually remember covering a topic but still no idea in the world of how to go about it :(

Slow Show wrote: »
    Do we have to prove the factor theorem??? Is that not just like f(2)=0, then a factor is x-2?

That's pretty much it but I learned it as a formal proof with an unknown variable. "If f(x) is a cubic expression and f(k)=0 then x - k is a factor of f(x)". Something along those lines. I don't think it ever has been asked ask as a proof in its own right (the application of it's more common) but I just learned it off anyway when I came across because it was about all I could manage to do with the factor theorem :L

I have the proof right here in front of me actually so if anybody wants to have a look at it I can post it up?:) I'm after digging out all my algebra notes cos' I'm terrified now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Can you post it there? I have no idea what you're on about :/

Also is binomial expansion like Bernoulli trials? I'm lost with all these proofs and stuff!

• Advertisement

peekachoo wrote: »

Also is binomial expansion like Bernoulli trials? I'm lost with all these proofs and stuff!

Yep you do! Although I think you do it for Bernoulli like the reverse of how it is in the tables. Or something utterly bizarre like that.

I think the worst thing about maths is having paper 2 on the same day as Irish paper 1. If it goes awfully, which I presume it will, I only have 2 hours to put myself back together to focus on Irish. Nothing puts me in a worse mood than maths when I can't do it.

peekachoo wrote: »

To prove:
    If f(x) is a cubic expression and f(k)=0 then x - k is a factor of f(x).

Proof:
    Let f(x)=ax^3 + bx^2 +cx +d.

Then f(k)=ak^3 + bk^2 + ck + d

f(x) - f(k)=ax^3 + bx^2 + cx +d -ak^3 - bk^2 - ck -d
    = a(x^3 - k^3) + b(x^2 -k^2) + c(x - k)
    = a(x - k)(x^2 + kx + k^2) + b(x - k)(x +k) + c(x - k)
    =(x - k)(ax^2 +akx +ak^2 + bx + bk) + c

==> (x-k) is a factor of f(x) - f(k)
    But f(k)=0
    Therefore x-k is a factor of f(x)

Like I said, it probably isn't of any use in itself because I doubt they'll just ask you to prove it but I learnt it anyway one evening

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I have never seen that before :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Do we actually need to know that yolk? sheeet

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

^ I've never in my life seen that, its definatly not in the book!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I'm not sure that's a proof that we have to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ChromosomeT

lads i'm confused our teacher told us to just know the geometry constructions does that mean i don't need to know the proofs or what?:confused:

0mega wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's a proof that we have to know?

Maybe not :o

I have overdone the proofs tbf so it's probably not 100% needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Maths is literally the only subject I do where every time I come across something I don't already know, I don't say "Right, better learn that" but I say "What, is that on the course?" and judging by this the rest of you are the same. That just shows you how uncoordinated this whole thing has been. :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement