Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Maths is literally the only subject I do where every time I come across something I don't already know, I don't say "Right, better learn that" but I say "What, is that on the course?" and judging by this the rest of you are the same. That just shows you how uncoordinated this whole thing has been. :P

That's the one problem I have with project maths. The course and format of the exam is extremely ambiguous. The NCCA have been very inconsiderate of students and teachers alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Prodigious wrote: »
    That's the one problem I have with project maths. The course and format of the exam is extremely ambiguous. The NCCA have been very inconsiderate of students and teachers alike.

Exactly. It's almost like the textbooks and sample papers and a clear, unambiguous syllabus were all afterthoughts for them, as long as they got their fancy new course rolled out as quickly as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

lads i'm confused our teacher told us to just know the geometry constructions does that mean i don't need to know the proofs or what?:confused:

there's around 20ish proofs that can pop up at any stage of the exam, not just question 6, yeno the usual proof by contradiction, prove root 3, then there's theorems 11-13 that can be examined, I'm pretty sure you have to be able to apply the rest of the theorems
    And first principles of like 10 things,
    Prove sum, product, quotient and chain rules...
    Prove sin rule cos rule tan rule, cos2a = blah blah blah...
    Yeah there's a lot actually :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

peekachoo wrote: »
    there's around 20ish proofs that can pop up at any stage of the exam, not just question 6, yeno the usual proof by contradiction, prove root 3, then there's theorems 11-13 that can be examined, I'm pretty sure you have to be able to apply the rest of the theorems

Tan rule wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ChromosomeT

peekachoo wrote: »
    what !!!! I thought it was just the geometry constructions and first principle i never knew about the rest ! where are they!! AHHH

• Advertisement

Tan rule wha?

I don't think its actually called tan rule but it's on one of the sample papers! Something to prove with tan anyway I just assumed tan rule? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

OL maths ftw ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭barry194

ray2012 wrote: »
    OL maths ftw ;)

Was just going to ask who is doing honours here haha

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Went out for dinner with the family and apparently all the teachers have an end of year party dinner thing so I met ALL of the teachers! Awkward!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Anyone have any methods of getting up early? I got up past 12 today. :(

• Advertisement

Get someone to come in and pour a bucket of ice cold water on you! I'm sure it'll wake you up! ;)

I started getting up early as of yesterday. I set the alarm on the phone and leave it at the other side of the room and it won't stop until I get up and shake it for ten seconds which is annoying as hell but it wakes me up (it's a cool app, you can set maths on it either). It's so tempting to go back to bed when I get up to turn it off though so I leave out my stuff for the shower, so that it requires minimal effort to have one, and that wakes me up. :P

Tomorrow is the real test though, the rest of the house will be lying in.. :o

Get someone to come in and pour a bucket of ice cold water on you! I'm sure it'll wake you up! ;)

I actually asked my parents to do that yesterday but they refused to. :(
    I started getting up early as of yesterday. I set the alarm on the phone and leave it at the other side of the room and it won't stop until I get up and shake it for ten seconds which is annoying as hell but it wakes me up (it's a cool app, you can set maths on it either). It's so tempting to go back to bed when I get up to turn it off though so I leave out my stuff for the shower, so that it requires minimal effort to have one, and that wakes me up. :P

Sounds like a good app but knowing me I'd probably just go to bed after I stopped it going off. The shower idea is good, I might try that!

Sounds like a good app but knowing me I'd probably just go to bed after I stopped it going off. The shower idea is good, I might try that!

Yeah I reckon if it wasn't for the shower I'd fall straight back to sleep. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Someone asked me today was going out for the long weekend... I was contemplating going out if she said she was :O I just can't take study seriously :pac:

Yeah, I was actually thinking of going to cinema tomorrow evening since I'm scheduled to finish study at six (if I get up on time), and I want to shake this cabin fever. People just told me I was mad. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I just can't seem to study at all these days :(

No study will be done tomorrow either, heading to Croker for the match so we'll be leaving at half 2ish.

What are you guys studying now? I'm sort of just concentrating on Maths P1, English P2 and Geography. I'm planning on leaving the rest until next weekend.

I didn't do a thing today because I didn't go to the library! :(

I'm doing English, home Ec and biology at the moment! I have so much biology to do to even pass :pac:

I will have only covered Maths, Geog and English by wednesday, biology that weekend, then physics/chem/applied maths in the 5 days break I get in the middle of the madness. Don't know where I'll squash music in tbh, but my teacher is doing a crash course with us on the monday before for a few hours so that'll help..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Maths P1, English P2 and Engineering for the rest of the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Theres a festival in the local park this weekend, its the biggest piss up of the year every year, every teenager will be out... genuinely considering hitting the bottle one last time before the 2 weeks that lie ahead... could it be ridiculous?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Had our grad mass today, was some emotional stuff haha! Would love to be able to head out tonight with everyone but its a bit too close to the LC at this stage which is a shame. Gonna spend the next three days studying a combo of Irish/Geog/Business/History. I dropped to pass maths so don't need to study, and we had an English mock last weekend so the course is pretty fresh in my head. Not really worried to be honest, plenty of time to get most of the stuff covered although I am completely ignoring Spanish as I have four days to study it on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I got English, French and a little bit of maths studied today. Planning on doing more English tomorrow, as well as Irish, chem, bio and economics. Economics will be my last exam, so I have like a 5 day break to study for it (and 2 other exams -__-), but I've a serious amount of study to do for it, I'm doing the subject by myself without grinds or anything, and I just started answering exam questions last week.... :|

Really starting to get worried here! :( I litteraly can't study and really need to! It hasn't hit me that the exams are so close! :(

I've just already faced facts that I'm only going to get the points for my number 2 on the cao! But since its the same course just a different college I don't really mind :P

Irish for me will be cramming the night before, one poem one story and one an triail essay...
    I'm not counting Irish anyway so :D

Really starting to get worried here! :( I litteraly can't study and really need to! It hasn't hit me that the exams are so close! :(

Don't worry, that's what cramming is for!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh DID ANYONE SEE THE WEATHER FORECAST?

• Advertisement

yournerd wrote: »
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh DID ANYONE SEE THE WEATHER FORECAST?

Every year without fail it's balmy during the leaving cert! It's an Irish rite of passage to have to stay inside and study for the leaving cert while everyone else enjoying the only bit of nice weather all summer!

(Also pfttt asking a group of Irish people did they see the weather forecast?! OF course we did! What would we complain about otherwise?!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement