Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Since we're doing this... Https://twitter.com/stacef4ce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I will go to bed early tonight, I will.. Story of my life :L
    I'm not on twitter so I can't join in on all of this.. It would be one more thing for me to get addicted to! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I'd forgotten just how massive mu jersey is on me. Why in the name of God do I own a medium?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Does anyone have any links to a human interaction with biomes essay or is the Sue Honan one good enough?
    Our teacher only really skimmed through the chapter in class and unsure how to answer it :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Anyone else get creeped out when people say theyre just going to do questions or a full paper as their study? Like I cant do that because I still have to learn the information let alone recall it and perfect answering styles :(

And I have actually been studying, I dont know where it all went so wrong. My life has been consumed by the LC and all I can do all day is whinge about it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

Sup! :D

Anyone have any idea how I can know if HEAR got my application? I sent it a bit last minute but never heard anything so I was just wondering if anyone else did? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

So my cousins came over earlier, and I pointed out to my four year old cousin that "Your shoes are on the wrong feet."
    His response?
    "I don't have any other feet."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

a good lad ^

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

Anyone happen to have the answers to the financial maths question on the HL DEB mock? Would appreciate it if you did! Trying to check my answers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

I was wondering if any of ye were studying intrusive or subsurface features in geography like laccoliths and loppoliths/sills and dykes or swallowholes etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    I was wondering if any of ye were studying intrusive or subsurface features in geography like laccoliths and loppoliths/sills and dykes or swallowholes etc?
    for physical im only studying volcanoes, rocks, folding and karst then one creimeadh and fosu for the rivers , mm and coastal! will I be safe??

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭barry194

Could someone who's good at maths tell me where the -2 power came out of in (ii) of this question in the second line?

http://www.e-xamit.ie/tutorial.php?id=45121&prep=45120&soln=45121&tip=45122&port=45210

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

barry194 wrote: »
    Could someone who's good at maths tell me where the -2 power came out of in (ii) of this question in the second line?

http://www.e-xamit.ie/tutorial.php?id=45121&prep=45120&soln=45121&tip=45122&port=45210

It comes from the basic rule when you differentiate that x^n becomes x^n-1
    i.e: -1-1=-2
    Does that answer your question or have I misunderstood you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

It's a chain rule differentiation. What they've done is taken the bracket, multiplied it by the original power (the -1) and then dropped the power itself by one (that's where your -2 comes from). That's the same as x squared becoming 2x when you differentiate it, the power of the x has been dropped by one! Then that's all multiplied by the derivative of the bracket itself (the 2x-5) to account for the chain rule. Does that make sense to you?

ANYONE studying empire of the sun for honours English ??

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

When you differentiate by any rule (chain, product, quotient) you're decreasing the power, so with the original function (x squared -5x) to the power of -1, that -1 is the power, so that'll decrease by 1. -1-1=-2, so there's your new power.

In this particular function you're differentiating by the chain rule because it's a bracket to a power. This involves decreasing the power of the bracket (where the -2 comes in), multiplying the bracket by the original power, differentiating what's inside the bracket and multiplying the whole shebang as shown in the second line.

Yeah, if anyone can explain that a bit less long-winded please do, but I hope that helps :):p

It comes from the basic rule when you differentiate that x^n becomes x^n-1
    i.e: -1-1=-2
    Does that answer your question or have I misunderstood you?
    It's a chain rule differentiation. What they've done is taken the bracket, multiplied it by the original power (the -1) and then dropped the power itself by one (that's where your -2 comes from). That's the same as x squared becoming 2x when you differentiate it, the power of the x has been dropped by one! Then that's all multiplied by the derivative of the bracket itself (the 2x-5) to account for the chain rule. Does that make sense to you?
    When you differentiate by any rule (chain, product, quotient) you're decreasing the power, so with the original function (x squared -5x) to the power of -1, that -1 is the power, so that'll decrease by 1. -1-1=-2, so there's your new power.

In this particular function you're differentiating by the chain rule because it's a bracket to a power. This involves decreasing the power of the bracket (where the -2 comes in), multiplying the bracket by the original power, differentiating what's inside the bracket and multiplying the whole shebang as shown in the second line.

Yeah, if anyone can explain that a bit less long-winded please do, but I hope that helps :):p

Makes sense now thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

its a commom mistake to assume the -1 goes to zero but the power has to decrease by 1 so it is actually -2

its a commom mistake to assume the -1 goes to zero but the power has to decrease by 1 so it is actually -2

Yeah that's what got me there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

HPMS wrote: »
    Anyone happen to have the answers to the financial maths question on the HL DEB mock? Would appreciate it if you did! Trying to check my answers :)

a) .2871%
    b) 1st =1512.96 2nd=1508.63 3rd=1504.31
    c)just your geometric sequence with a = 1500(1.002871), r = 1.002871, n =300
    d)714332.95
    e)357168.85

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Bonbon1995 wrote: »
    ANYONE studying empire of the sun for honours English ??

yes i am, although i still dont know a whole lot about it!

How much pages would ye write on the poetry section in Irish?
    My teacher says that they are looking for people to write loads in order to get full marks so I am going to try and do at least 2-2.5 pages on poetry if I can!

yes i am, although i still dont know a whole lot about it!
    We're defo the only two schools so.. haven't read it just watched the movie and went over some notes! horrible book! are you doing Casablanca and Babylon too so?

David1994 wrote: »
    How much pages would ye write on the poetry section in Irish?
    My teacher says that they are looking for people to write loads in order to get full marks so I am going to try and do at least 2-2.5 pages on poetry if I can!
    Never go past 3 on any of the pros or anything really, 3 solid paragraphs with info, after the three if you make any more mistakes they start deducting more and more marks!

Never go past 3 on any of the pros or anything really, 3 solid paragraphs with info, after the three if you make any more mistakes they start deducting more and more marks!

Like 3 pages or just 3 paragraphs?

Like 3 pages or just 3 paragraphs?

2.5 - 3 pages..know the poets too..12 makes goes for just known like half a page on them.. know themes and imagery and that's it really!

2.5 - 3 pages..know the poets too..12 makes goes for just known like half a page on them.. know themes and imagery and that's it really!

Alright thanks :) I am sorted for the poets and that just wanted to get an idea of how much people will be writing.

Alright thanks :) I am sorted for the poets and that just wanted to get an idea of how much people will be writing.
    Poetry is piss easy thank God :) Hoping for oisin :( do you do maidhc danín or an triail?

Poetry is piss easy thank God :) Hoping for oisin :( do you do maidhc danín or an triail?

Yeah it's fairly grand. Yep we do A Thig Na Tit Orm :P

• Advertisement

Yeah it's fairly grand. Yep we do A Thig Na Tit Orm :P
    LOVE HIM! hes literally 3 minutes down the road from me..i can see his house haha :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement