Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Wow, Tesco have a promotion for Monster. I just could not not buy it. I mean, it's barely cheaper than usually, but I love the feeling of buying something on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭barry194

ray2012 wrote: »
    Lads, ye know for the comparative questions, do ye try and use basically the same answer you've prepared beforehand ? As in, do you tend to write almost the same things for each comparative answer, while just changing the parts where you refer to the question?

I have my answer done out on cultural context with stuff dealing with Lack of power children have, power of money etc. but I was looking over past questions that came up and I think that I'd have a bit of difficulty suiting it to the question...

Right, I made an absolute mess out of trying to describe my question but hopefully someone can understand it. Would really appreciate a reply! :)

That's what I do too. I just weave it into the question.

Can't wait for tomorrow to be over now, just to get into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

If you don't feel very prepared just remember that frozenfrozen was out of sick for the final two months of term and that you have to be more prepared than him.

Speaking in the third person because if I confront this problem I may become to worried to write my exam number on the paper tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Berocca and 6 black biros bought...
    I am ready. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Tomorrow feels like the first day back to school after summer :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

Whats the best way to approach the comprehensions? Like, what's the easiest way to get marks? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

HPMS wrote: »
    Whats the best way to approach the comprehensions? Like, what's the easiest way to get marks? :)

Usually they're looking for 3 points per question, maybe 4 for some, but generally, if you make a point, develop it/explain it a little in relation to the text and then back it up with suitable reference/quotation, you're on the right track.

It might be handy to know a few features for each style of language as well, one of the questions is often on what features of that language are present in the comprehension. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Anyone know how to fix an iPhone that won't unlock? Putting an alarm would be handy,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

HPMS wrote: »

I agree with what the above poster posted. Also, when you are identifying the style of the writing (e.g descriptive imagery etc), make sure you give the effect that it had.

As well as that, if one of the questions is like "This is a good example of persuasive language. Do you agree", firstly answer the question (which many people forget!) with a Yes or No! State in your answer if YOU felt persuaded or not and back up your answer as to why/why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

If we are given a diary entry, do you guys think the most suitable way is:
    Date it, Put down Dear Diary, then go into what you're writing.

Or

Date, and then go straight into what you are writing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Or

I would say put in the dear diary bit. Makes it seem a little more authentic I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

yournerd wrote: »
    Anyone know how to fix an iPhone that won't unlock? Putting an alarm would be handy,,,

restore it

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭barry194

So is the diary entries really as easy as Dear Diary with a date and then making up random stuff in the eyes of the person in the text?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

So is anyone going to start the thread? I'm not, because that would make it all official :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Best of luck tomorrow guys!! Oh and for the love of GOD, if you get handed out Paper 2 by mistake tomorrow morning, do not tell anybody!! If I have to do an exam on Saturday, I swear, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Not even joking. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

restore it

Yeah you'll have to restore it, but to factory settings not from a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

Or

And remember to use an appropriate date, if you're meant to be writing a dairy from the Georgian period and it's dated 05-06-13, things will look a bit off :p

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

Thanks people.

Does anyone else hope a nice diary entry as a QB and a nice personal
    essay would be amazing?
    They seem to be good choices as you can voice your views and be informal and not have to use as much amazing words in them then compared to a speech or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Good luck tomorrow and for the next 2 and a half weeks lads. We'll be grand :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

I am actually so screwed for English paper 2 it's scary .. I know one poet and no quotes for Macbeth :( after home ec tomorrow ill lock myself in my room until English p2 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

Well I dont know my poets or theme/issue for paper two so I think I'll be doing the same thing! Home Ec outta the way first... sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

I'm normally fine at home ec but then I open the book and I've never even seen the page before! :O

Never mind English, is anyone else bricking it for maths on Friday?

Also, how calm/panicky is everyone? At the moment I'm in a sort zoned out denial, but I do tend to snap so by tomorrow I may be threatening people who even look at me :p

Thanks people.

Does anyone else hope a nice diary entry as a QB and a nice personal
    essay would be amazing?
    They seem to be good choices as you can voice your views and be informal and not have to use as much amazing words in them then compared to a speech or so.

Diary entries are always nice, no complex style of writing, theme tends to be easy enough. I like short stories more than personal essays though, I tend to get a bit carried away when it comes to expressing my opinion and get docked marks for rants.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

Home Ec... Sort of depending on my elective and project to bring me up to the grade I want... and then to pray we get lucky with long qs. Social Studies/Lipids/Diabetes/CHD or anything along those lines would be welcomed.

Whats the stance on bringing "good luck charms" into the exam hall, anyway? My trusty Liverpool keyring that hasnt let me fail an exam since TY will be sorely missed.

ynwa14 wrote: »
    Home Ec... Sort of depending on my elective and project to bring me up to the grade I want... and then to pray we get lucky with long qs. Social Studies/Lipids/Diabetes/CHD or anything along those lines would be welcomed.

Whats the stance on bringing "good luck charms" into the exam hall, anyway? My trusty Liverpool keyring that hasnt let me fail an exam since TY will be sorely missed.

Shtick it in your shirt pocket ;)

ynwa14 wrote: »

attach it to the zip on your pencil case

These best of luck texts people are sending me are getting annoying *shakes fist*

• Advertisement

These best of luck texts people are sending me are getting annoying *shakes fist*

I at least made sure to put a bit of humour into my one, stuck in an inbetweeners reference when Will **** his pants. I hate the real bland ones where it's literally just, "Good luck." or "Good luck with the Leaving Cert.".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement