Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

For some peculiar reason I did better in paper 2 in my mock, despite having a limited knowledge of my comparative and a poorly prepared poetry essay. Here's hoping for a repeat of that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

Terrified of paper 2, Mahon is my favourite but my essay in the pre didn't get as high as I'd hoped :( Poetry is so annoying because it requires the more work to cover yourself with five poets for 50 marks than Macbeth which is worth more :confused:
    Anyway as long as I get it finished in time I'm happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

The one day I've been to school in the past 2 weeks and I miss a fire in the neighbour's garden.

Typical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Overall it was grand, nothing too tough, I did the question A from the Text 2 interview and the Question B from Text 3. I did the speech on there are no heros in modern life (whatever along those lines!) I started it with the phrase "Ladies, gentlemen, irradiated superheros, moustached supervillians and damsels in distress alike…" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

The worst thing about the comparative is the fact that there's so much choice it's more or less impossible to get a good sample essay!
    I will always curse my teacher for choosing My Sisters Keeper :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

A lad in my school left after 45 mins today. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Someone left in my centre at 11:30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

D_s wrote: »
    Did Q. A on text 2 (Interview) and Q. B on text 1 (The TV/Radio talk). I absolutely loved the "Art of the glimpse" essay! Reckon I knocked that one out of the park... then again I've said that before and not done brilliantly :P

How much did everyone get to write, by the way? I managed 2 pages for the part B and 4 and a half for composition, struggled a tad on time but then had 15 mins left over at the end because my clock was slightly off and I didn't look at the one on the wall :S

I did 3 and a bit for A, 3 for B and 5 and a bit for my speech, I'm a divil for just putting pen to paper and tearing into things though so I'm hoping I got quality into it rather than filling the pages with total bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

A lad in my school left after 45 mins today. The mind boggles.

me tomorrow :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

peekachoo wrote: »
    The worst thing about the comparative is the fact that there's so much choice it's more or less impossible to get a good sample essay!
    I will always curse my teacher for choosing My Sisters Keeper :eek:

My teacher choice the 3 texts that key notes would be covering :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Jade. wrote: »
    My teacher choice the 3 texts that key notes would be covering :P

That's what mine did! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

am I the only one whose a bit disappointed?? I ****ed up the composition I couldn't get into and left a 15 marker out..the essay and question B was grand..still tho I was a bit thrown! Home ec was lovely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Bonbon1995 wrote: »
    am I the only one whose a bit disappointed?? I ****ed up the composition I couldn't get into and left a 15 marker out..the essay and question B was grand..still tho I was a bit thrown! Home ec was lovely :)

I messed up the whole English .. I spent forever on the comprehension and the hated all the essay titles so only wrote three pages :(

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

One of my friends spent ages on Section 1, and only managed 3 pages and 8 lines for his essay. You are not alone my friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

ENGLISH PAPER 2

Poets: Robert Frost, W.B. Yeats, Eavan Boland, Mattias Claus Von Steuben

Comparative:
    CULTURAL CONTEXT:
    i) Contrast the cultural context with any of the text you have studied with that of Star Wars

LITERARY GENRE:
    i) Contrast something about your three texts without using the words "novel", "book", "film", "play", "drama", the titles of your texts or the word "text"

THEME/ISSUE
    i) Why does love only exist in fiction?

The Single Text: Macbeth
    i) Lady Macbeth is an inspiration to modern society. Agree with this statement.
    ii) Is Shakespeare Machiavellian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Colm! wrote: »
    ENGLISH PAPER 2

Poets: Robert Frost, W.B. Yeats, Eavan Boland, Mattias Claus Von Steuben

Comparative:
    CULTURAL CONTEXT:
    i) Contrast the cultural context with any of the text you have studied with that of Star Wars

LITERARY GENRE:
    i) Contrast something about your three texts without using the words "novel", "book", "film", "play", "drama", the titles of your texts or the word "text"

THEME/ISSUE
    i) Why does love only exist in fiction?

The Single Text: Macbeth
    i) Lady Macbeth is an inspiration to modern society. Agree with this statement.
    ii) Is Shakespeare Machiavellian?

47077d1328734115-google-chrome-android-beta-available-now-notsureifserious.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Colm! you just put a much needed smile on my face :D Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Going over Shakespeare for the first time in months and I have just realised that I genuinely do have a soft spot for all of my poets. :) God why am I such an English freak!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I'm looking over a Bishop essay from my 5th yr summer exam (I think?) and I can barely read it :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

twhv10d.png
    sdVxhee.png

• Advertisement

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
    . . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
    . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
    . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
    . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
    . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
    . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
    . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
    . . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
    . . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
    . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
    . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
    . . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
    . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
    . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
    . . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
    ,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
    . .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Luize

Ran out of time in English.. the essay choices were absolutely awful.

Home ec on the other hand... EOIN JACKSON IS A GENIUS.
    I learned all the stuff he predicted and most of it came up yay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Hmmm something interesting that I noticed in the English paper is that the paper must have been made quite late in the year, the Grand Central Station comprehension mentioned the Newtown shooting and Hurricane Sandy, Newtown was on the 12th of December 2012 so it two paragraph had to be at least a few days or weeks after that and the paper made after that again, this strikes me as a bit weird as normally it's said that the papers are made during the Summer of the year before!

Hmmm something interesting that I noticed in the English paper is that the paper must have been made quite late in the year, the Grand Central Station comprehension mentioned the Newtown shooting and Hurricane Sandy, Newtown was on the 12th of December 2012 so it two paragraph had to be at least a few days or weeks after that and the paper made after that again, this strikes me as a bit weird as normally it's said that the papers are made during the Summer of the year before!

We were told they're made around October, but yes, you have a valid point!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭barry194

Luize wrote: »
    Ran out of time in English.. the essay choices were absolutely awful.

Home ec on the other hand... EOIN JACKSON IS A GENIUS.
    I learned all the stuff he predicted and most of it came up yay

That's amazing that his predictions worked! He must be good so. Heard Home Ec was a nightmare for a lot of people.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Colm! wrote: »
    twhv10d.png
    sdVxhee.png

Atleast this gives me hope for the bell curve thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Would any of ye have any really handy general quotes from a poet that'd look good in the opening paragraph of a poetry essay? The only ones that seem to be easy to find are Sylvia Plath quotes. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Legion. wrote: »
    One of my friends spent ages on Section 1, and only managed 3 pages and 8 lines for his essay. You are not alone my friends.

I only wrote 3 pages and a bit for my essay! :P
    Saying that, my writing is fairly small and I can fit a load of words per line, so my 3 pages may be 4/5 pages in comparison to other people :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

ray2012 wrote: »
    I only wrote 3 pages and a bit for my essay! :P
    Saying that, my writing is fairly small and I can fit a load of words per line, so my 3 pages may be 4/5 pages in comparison to other people :pac:

His was rushed/incomplete though, you probably planned/finished yours haha :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,711 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I made a balls of paper one length wise, QA i) half page, ii) little under 3/4 page, iii) 7/8 page, QB 1 3/4 page roughly, then 4 pages for the essay. Felt like it was way too short but I just blanked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement