Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I rarely write more than 3½ pages, I find that I start to repeat myself or my argument gets a bit strenuous, quality over quantity!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

stetyrrell wrote: »
    I made a balls of paper one length wise, QA i) half page, ii) little under 3/4 page, iii) 7/8 page, QB 1 3/4 page roughly, then 4 pages for the essay. Felt like it was way too short but I just blanked.

7/8 pages for part iii)???

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

I ended up with 7 for my essay but my writing is very "scrawled" and basically a wreck. 2 and a half for my talk on tv/radio and then one and a bit for each part in QA :S

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

peekachoo wrote: »
    7/8 pages for part iii)???
    Nope, seven eights of a page. Yep.

what an awkward way to say almost a page. ;)

• Advertisement

what an awkward way to say almost a page. ;)

It's not even 1 page, have you studied for maths yet? :pac:
    It was longer than 3 quarters, but not a full page.

It's not even 1 page, have you studied for maths yet? :pac:
    It was longer than 3 quarters, but not a full page.

so...almost a page :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Is that not plenty for a part three?

Prodigious wrote: »
    Is that not plenty for a part three?

Not a clue, my English nearly died just after Christmas, and the replacement was useless so I managed to forget the entire structure of the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

if bishop or theme and issue or kingship isn't there ill just s h i t my skirt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

When you see a poster obsessing about claiming that extra 1/8 of a(n) inch / page, you just know it has to be a guy! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Slow Show wrote: »
    Would any of ye have any really handy general quotes from a poet that'd look good in the opening paragraph of a poetry essay? The only ones that seem to be easy to find are Sylvia Plath quotes. :/

I know this isn't really what you're looking for but everytime I do a Bishop essay I compare the drawing in "Sestina" to the "world of color and ducks" in Plath's "Child".

Then with Shakespeare if I mention the sonnet form I use a quote by Wordsworth: "with this key Shakespeare unlocked his heart".

Examiners love it when you use quotes from other poets on the course seemingly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

People who are studying Shakespeare for poetry, if ye got a question asking why he is still popular today, what would you talk about? I know universal themes is one point, but I can't think of anything else? From mentioning his universal themes in the opening, Could you just go straight into like an essay on the themes, style and the reasons why they appeal to the modern reader?

ray2012 wrote: »
    People who are studying Shakespeare for poetry, if ye got a question asking why he is still popular today, what would you talk about? I know universal themes is one point, but I can't think of anything else? From mentioning his universal themes in the opening, Could you just go straight into like an essay on the themes, style and the reasons why they appeal to the modern reader?

Em, he's gay, so I suppose all the gay rights lads would like him!

Did anyone get a letter out about the SUSI grant??
    it asks me for proof that my sister is in college, but I'd have to wait until she goes back in September to get a letter, surely September is way too late? :eek:

Also they said to return the necessary documentation in the envelope they sent me with the address on it...but I didn't get an envelope :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

Also they said to return the necessary documentation in the envelope they sent me with the address on it...but I didn't get an envelope :eek:

Yeah i didn't get an envelope either, we rang and they said just send it in a normal one, the address is on the side of one of the sheets that they sent!

Flabangav wrote: »
    Yeah i didn't get an envelope either, we rang and they said just send it in a normal one, the address is on the side of one of the sheets that they sent!

ah that's grand. Still stuck for the rest of it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

If mahon does not come up, I ll just leave the exam center

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Did anyone get a letter out about the SUSI grant??
    it asks me for proof that my sister is in college, but I'd have to wait until she goes back in September to get a letter, surely September is way too late? :eek:

When do you apply? I applied the first day it opened and got nothing?

Jade. wrote: »
    When do you apply? I applied the first day it opened and got nothing?

last week!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

YIPcnIS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

At least ye cam get grants at all :( Looks like we'll be heading down the loan route.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

last week!

Weird I heard nothing back then :/

I don't think I qualify but surely they would send back a no?

Jade. wrote: »
    Weird I heard nothing back then :/

ah id say they're up to their eyeballs! You'll prob get it this week.

Seriously though anybody got solutions for me? How can you ask for a college letter when they're off for summer? :P

ah id say they're up to their eyeballs! You'll prob get it this week.

Seriously though anybody got solutions for me? How can you ask for a college letter when they're off for summer? :P

Results of exams?

can anyone help? I got to 42% of the form and I know I must get my parents to send away for a p21.. anything else? also I worked last summer but I was only 17 so do I need a p21 too? if I say I worked I defo wont get a grant id say

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

When is the last day to apply for the grant?

Bonbon1995 wrote: »
    can anyone help? I got to 42% of the form and I know I must get my parents to send away for a p21.. anything else? also I worked last summer but I was only 17 so do I need a p21 too? if I say I worked I defo wont get a grant id say

Did you pay USC or tax? If so you'll be down in the revenue office's books and they'll just pull that up when they're going through your grant application. Best not to lie, otherwise they probably won't look on it too fondly if you're caught out.

Did you pay USC or tax? If so you'll be down in the revenue office's books and they'll just pull that up when they're going through your grant application. Best not to lie, otherwise they probably won't look on it too fondly if you're caught out.
    I actually dunno I paid something alright and I got tax credits? do I need a p21 so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

is it ok to say im ****ting it tomorrow :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement