Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

AndyMc wrote: »
    Its not like we learn to speak it!
    I say leave it at paper one and split Paper two into a new optional subject called literature.
    Actually, they have that split in the A levels AFAIR ... English Language and English Lit are two separate subjects, though each would be studied in more detail than you do them.

I think there's an argument for that approach tbh, though there are arguments against as well ... certainly, I've always felt that it would be a good approach to Irish (i.e. Irish Language oral & written skills as the compulsory element; an Irish Lit elective subject for those who love Irish / are interested).

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Tomorrow is going to be a major cramming session! Why do I do this to myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭barry194

If the comparative was on tv shows, poetry on music artists and the play on a popular movie English Paper 2 would be amazing. Don't see the point of the things we have to study it's so boring and useless!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

AndyMc wrote: »
    Its not like we learn to speak it!
    I say leave it at paper one and split Paper two into a new optional subject called literature.

This is the case in most countries. For instance, in Britain English Language is mandatory while English Literature is optional.

barry194 wrote: »
    If the comparative was on tv shows, poetry on music artists and the play on a popular movie English Paper 2 would be amazing.
    Oh dear lord, that sounds like my worst nightmare! ... an English curriculum made up of generic American pap! :mad:

Out, damned spot Barry! Out, I say! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

i know nothing for English and maths, yay.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

My day is going to be so fun.
    The morning will include debates whether 2 poets is enough or should I learn 3 more, all of theme and issue and about 3/4 of Macbeth.
    And not even joking Im hoping ill have time to start geo revision by then too..
    Otherwise I have to learn the whole geo course and figure out how not to fail maths for the whole evening :(
    In all honesty I wont be going asleep tomorrow night until half 1/2 which I hate to say but there's nothing more I can do :(
    I fail at being prepared, wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Oh dear lord, that sounds like my worst nightmare! ... an English curriculum made up of generic American pap! :mad:

Out, damned spot Barry! Out, I say! :pac:

Haha well anything would be better than learning about Wuthering Heights in fairness :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Can't do this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Yep the red bull will be out tomorrow night if I'm gonna cram the geography course and have enough time to learn enough to scrape 40% in maths...those extra 25 points will end me

• Advertisement

barry194 wrote: »
    Haha well anything would be better than learning about Wuthering Heights in fairness :P
    Ok, not my own favourite novel, I'll admit.

An English course without Shakin' Willie though is to me like hurling without a sliotar! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

If mahon isn't there tomorrow I will break out in a sweat and get so miserable and worked up ill go blank and basically fail..god anxiety sucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Ok, not my own favourite novel, I'll admit.

An English course without Shakin' Willie though is to me like hurling without a sliotar! :pac:

Weren't you only giving out about that kinda talk yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Dozed off at 7 after dinner. Woke up now wide awake.

Either this is a blessing in disguise (more cramming time), or a curse (Fall asleep during the exam). But either way, I relish the challenge :D.

Prodigious wrote: »
    Weren't you only giving out about that kinda talk yesterday?
    :D

(And giving out, no, I'm no bloody hypocrite! ... just reminding the strong-wristed among us that there were some of those odd creatures called wimmen around who probably didn't need to hear ALL the details of their personal exercise programmes! :pac:)

all nighter tomorrow for geog ! 7- 4,,sleep for 4 hours!! challenge on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

For the art practicals my name wasn't on the role thing we had to sign, what happens if the examiner doesn't give me the paper next week :pac:

I couldn't be any more unprepared if I tried! :pac:

bricking it.if mahon isn't there think of me just getting an attack....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

If I have to make stuff up on a poet I haven't studied I pity the poor examiner that's marking my test. They'll get a good laugh out of it, at least, and hopefully give me 10 marks for trying. That'll be the A gone out the window, all the same! </3

• Advertisement

If I have to make stuff up on a poet I haven't studied I pity the poor examiner that's marking my test. They'll get a good laugh out of it, at least, and hopefully give me 10 marks for trying. That'll be the A gone out the window, all the same! </3

How many do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Does anyone know if we're allowed to start writing before the exam starts? I could launch into a theme or issue intro before it starts and hope for the best, it'd be a nice little headstart.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

I know Mahon, Bishop, Shakespeare and Hopkins well. Trying to learn Wordsworth here but oh my god, it's proving impossible!! I just hope one of the ones I've sudied well comes up!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Mahon, Kinsella, Plath and Bishop done. Done a bit of Wordsworth.. if hes the only one I can do I'll give it a go or give to idleness..

Only done the abstract/less common Macbeth questions, like Banquo, Macduff, and most of the themes. If we get a Macbeth or LM character/relationship q it will be fairly easy and most of the quotes are the same.

Now to the comparative, please give us theme/issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

Someone who was trying to relieve the pressure / obsession re: the seen poets, maybe? :D

Actually, my sense is that most people seem to pick up a decent few marks on that section if they keep their heads.

Sez s/he in English! :pac:

True, true. I mean the learning of poems of poets and studying 400 year old texts!

I just need Bishop and Kingship! It's all I ask for :P

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

I'd love some Mahon or Shakespeare <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

So it looks like I'm only going to have 4 poets - Mahon, Bishop, Plath and Rich.

Best of luck guys!! :) Let the luck be with us all..poor souls!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I only have 2 poets 100% down, Plath and Bishop. I'm gonna try and cram a bit of Rich and Mahon, but I'm really hoping on a Bishop question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement