Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HankScorpio_

To settle a debate with a friend.. Donegal accent - yay or nay?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Personally nay, but I have met far more yayers than nayers, then again I live 20 minutes from Donegal so.........

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Is that annually?

I'd say so? It says that there are about 3.1 million exam papers so.....

I do love a good Donegal accent. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭NellyDean

Anyone else dreading sitting through next week's exams with the sunburn they've caught this weekend ? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

+1 for Donegal accent, serious <3

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

Normally yay!

However on the Irish tape... Nay nay nay nay nay X a million!!

decisions wrote: »
    +1 for Donegal accent, serious <3
    You might be in luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

I'd rather use a spoon to take my eyes out than listen to your man off the listening tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HankScorpio_

Normally yay!

However on the Irish tape... Nay nay nay nay nay X a million!!

Haha same as! Can't understand a word of it in irish :(

• Advertisement

Haha same as! Can't understand a word of it in irish :(
    haha seriously? Sure they talk pure slow? Had no idea people found it hard.. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Thats quite a sad thought :( and all the trees used to make the books (Maths,Irish, English etc, revision books, copy books, reill pads) for students throughout the country.

The Irish education system will have alot to answer to when global warming dries up all our water :p

I swear I'm not an eco warrior, just a friend to the Earth :D

I don't really get peoples obsession about "saving trees" the trees used in making paper etc are crops harvested like any other, screaming "save the trees" is about the same as asking people to stop eating bread to save wheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

NellyDean wrote: »
    haha seriously? Sure they talk pure slow? Had no idea people found it hard.. :L

Yeah but sure if a Latvian fella came up to you and started speaking Latvian slowly would you understand?

I know we have a knowledge of the Irish language but its still a joke of an accent
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Got absolutly roasted today

Lucan Bohs wrote: »
    Yeah but sure if a Latvian fella came up to you and started speaking Latvian slowly would you understand?

I know we have a knowledge of the Irish language but its still a joke of an accent
    :pac:
    But it's so beautiful ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Who won BGT? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Raeral

Who won BGT? :)

Attraction did, as was to be expected I think. The main highlight though was when Simon got egged, it almost makes doing this leaving cert seem bearable now after watching that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Raeral wrote: »
    Attraction did, as was to be expected I think. The main highlight though was when Simon got egged, it almost makes doing this leaving cert seem bearable now after watching that :P
    Ya i saw that video on YouTube :) haha it was pretty funny! She looked so proud of herself! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Raeral

Ya i saw that video on YouTube :) haha it was pretty funny! She looked so proud of herself! :P

Yeh she seemed to be enjoying herself alright. I'm just surprised they were so slow to react to get her off, or that she was even able to sneak on stage in the first place :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Apparently she's a fairly successful musician/composer so I can't understand why she did it? Who would want to work with her after that? :eek: But it was hilarious at the same time. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭AndyMc

She was a contestant last year. And they were slow because they thought she was part of the act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

I felt very sick afterward, I swallowed them dry and I could just feel them sitting in my stomach *shudder*, but it was the closest thing to a sleeping tablet I've ever taken :P

If you're going to try it, take it with water...

I'm brewing some fairly strong right now,,goin to give this a shot meself haha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I don't really get peoples obsession about "saving trees" the trees used in making paper etc are crops harvested like any other, screaming "save the trees" is about the same as asking people to stop eating bread to save wheat.

Fair point, however my local forest was cut down over a year ago, maybe new trees were planted but not where the forest once stood.

I swear on my life I'm not an Eco warrior although after tonight I could understand why someone think so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I would take your point to some extent, but there are some differences:

1. While all plants absorb CO2 as part of photosynthesis, trees absorb significantly more than smaller plants due to their large size and root structures.

2. Wheat grows quickly, has a short life and is easily replaced / replanted (or substituted with similar crops in plant rotation).

3. Wheat is a food, paper is not! Essential as it is to our everyday life, it's far from as essential as food, and we waste a lot of it. (MInd you, we waste a lot of food as well!)

I wouldn't be an ecowarrior any more than Hugsie, I don't chain myself to trees, or rant about how everyone should buy an electric car, or calculate the carbon footprint for washing my teeth! :pac:

If we were all *moderately* conscious of how we impact on our planet though, and made reasonable efforts to be eco-friendly without going OTT and dressing in hemp jeans, we would have a huge effect ... one person's small saving multiplied by the whole planet's population is a hell of lot!

Why not recycle / reuse where possible (it makes good economic as well as environmental sense!)? Why take the car out to bring the 8 year old 300 yards to school, even on the days we've been getting recently, one I've been noticing yet again from my front window every morning this week?! Why not walk? (Believe me, both mother and child would benefit from the exercise!) Ofc trees will be cut down and used, and that's fine, but let's make it a normal pattern of our society that when we cut down, we re-plant. Why have the heating on full in rooms we're not even using? Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera! :v

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Had a dream last night that my granddad knew Gandalf and Dumbledore and Dumbledore messaged me on Facebook to say I couldn't go to my grad because I was to do a summer magic course to defeat Voldemort under the tuition of his brother Aberforth. Dumbledore apologized that I wouldn't get to wear my purple dress but it was essential for the greater good.

The moral of the story is not to eat cheese before bed and that the best time to read Harry Potter is not during the Leaving Cert :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Ahhh hurling season is back again, no study done today so! Up Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Ahhh hurling season is back again, no study done today so! Up Tipp.

damn leaving cert, id love to be at the Tipp match today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Ye can support Tipp all ye want, but no one is going to topple the Super Cats this year again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Dreaming.. yere on a downward path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Absolutely no chance of my studying in this heat :(
    5 exams this week and 3 next week :(
    And to add I have the worst sore thoat ever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement