Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

I thought the EU made blocking specific websites illegal (or are in the process of doing so?)

http://euobserver.com/news/12045

I remember visiting the dail back in TY and they were discussing this very matter in the Oireachtas. One person there stated that hundreds of jobs are on the line because of music piracy. I had to restrain myself greatly from shouting out "bullsh*t" to be honest :o While it is true that jobs in music industry are perhaps are on the line of going - its due to business practices that are from the last century - nothing to do with piracy.

Even a leaving cert business student such as myself knows that the world of business is a constantly changing environment and if the companies expect their business models to remain the same for 80+ years, they have another thing coming. I suspect fully that they know this and are merely beating a dead horse for the last cent they can get out of it.

It has been proven time and time again that, if the content providers provide a better and more convenient way of accessing media, the piracy rates drop significantly. Just think this through - look at netflix, music companies uploading music on YouTube, etc. If you were unable to access the certain types of media this way - would you turn to piracy? I know I sure would.

This won't affect anybody accessing the site. If its similar to the eircom block, all they will just do is block the IP/domain and not the actual torrent traffic. All that is involved to circumvent this block is to simply google for a pirate bay mirror and it works as normal.

How come the Irish government (and judicial system)is so backwards, well when it comes to anything :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

This won't make very much of a difference, there are plenty of still to download music, all the IRMA members won't suddenly start making up the €20million they've lost to the Pirate Bay! Anyway a court injunction isn't going to change young peoples attitudes, like paying for music is an alien concept to our generation and I really don't think that's something they can ever change!

N64 wrote: »
    How come the Irish government (and judicial system)is so backwards, well when it comes to anything :rolleyes:

When you've a Dáil (and Judiciary) filled with predominantly age 50+ males who're lobbied by likewise old males to save their business models this is you result. Like they aren't exactly computer geniuses! Like even the Taoiseach doesn't know what cloud computing is, ( as an aside he also still has a Nokia 3310 :O ) they haven't got a clue what technology is about!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Regardless of TPB closing down, there are still number of other ways to download music without using peer-to-peer programmes (for those who aren't tech-savvy, they are torrents).

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Wait when is this all coming into effect? Really need new songs... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Wait when is this all coming into effect? Really need new songs... :pac:

30 days, if not brought to the supreme court. be grand anyway, there's plenty of ways to get around it. It's the fundamental principle behind it that annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

Cannot believe I survived today :D no more history exams ever ever ever! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

Cannot believe I survived today :D no more history exams ever ever ever! :D:D:D

Testify! Amen to that! :D

Good times with the Apple Representive helping me online:

Screen_Shot_2013_06_12_at_19_09_08.png

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Everyone celebrating today was mental even when we finished just the written part of French because most the year were finished :pac: Pity I've to wait until tomorrow! :P

• Advertisement

Jade. wrote: »
    Everyone celebrating today was mental even when we finished just the written part of French because most the year were finished :pac: Pity I've to wait until tomorrow! :P

Try finishing on the 21st ! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Prodigious wrote: »
    Try finishing on the 21st ! :P

I wouldn't wish it upon anyone :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Ah, yeah it's a pity there'll only be three of us in the centre when I finish, so there won't be any real celebration. It'll be more a subdued "jaysus, glad that's over" and we'll be on our way. :p

Ah, yeah it's a pity there'll only be three of us in the centre when I finish, so there won't be any real celebration. It'll be more a subdued "jaysus, glad that's over" and we'll be on our way. :p

Home for a cuppa and throw the feet up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I've just spent the last 10 minutes searching for my JC mock results in the results thread so that I could compare them with what I actually did get in the end......

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

I was in such flying form after history now I'm panned out with a pounding headache :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I've just spent the last 10 minutes searching for my JC mock results in the results thread so that I could compare them with what I actually did get in the end......

Want to link me to that thread? Im a little intrested myself.

decisions wrote: »
    Want to link me to that thread? Im a little intrested myself.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2054897641/4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

are people using this over the summer? wouldnt mind meeting prodge and a few of the boys somewhere for a few tins and a night on the lash if yed be up for it?

Nevermind, I just remembered that I didn't post my results. They sucked :P

• Advertisement

Nevermind, I just remembered that I didn't post my results. They sucked :P

I was thinking I didn't see them. I did see a few other of the LC posters though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Remember I got like 20% in maths in the mocks but somehow managed a B in the real thing haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

are people using this over the summer? wouldnt mind meeting prodge and a few of the boys somewhere for a few tins and a night on the lash if yed be up for it?

yeow!

Okay Boardsies I'm conflicted should I go out tomorrow night with some of the people who're finished today/tomorrow? I'm not sure should I because I still have 4 exams next week my first on Monday with Physics followed by Chemistry, DCG and Applied Maths or should I not go out! One of the reasons I'm so tempted is because I won't really have another chance until I'm totally finished, as this is my last big break between exams, on the 21st and by then most people won't want to go out cause I'm the only finishing on the 21st.

So everyone yay or nay to getting off my face tomorrow night?

yeow!

scuid id say youll come and hae a bottle of buckast with me will ya?

Okay Boardsies I'm conflicted should I go out tomorrow night with some of the people who're finished today/tomorrow? I'm not sure should I because I still have 4 exams next week my first on Monday with Physics followed by Chemistry, DCG and Applied Maths or should I not go out! One of the reasons I'm so tempted is because I won't really have another chance until I'm totally finished, as this is my last big break between exams, on the 21st and by then most people won't want to go out cause I'm the only finishing on the 21st.

i say nay you wouldnt go out before english so why disrespect the physics? There will be sick amounts drank this summer anyway

i say nay you wouldnt go out before english so why disrespect the physics? There will be sick amounts drank this summer anyway

But there's 3 days until Physics ;)

I'd say go but just don't get completely plastered, try to keep some sense.

I'm going out on Friday, with Economics, Physics and Applied Maths to go. I'm only having a couple though.

Edit: but then again that's how I start most of my best nights out :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm going out on Friday, with Economics, Physics and Applied Maths to go.

Woman after my own heart so you are Decisions ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement