Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

daz801 wrote: »
    First day back, didn't have any classes until after lunch which was a good thing and then had a double physics where we did nothing and then had maths, again didn't do much but in future those last three classes on a Wednesday are gonna kill. Other than that my timetable's not too bad. Don't know why everyone is complaining about doubles. We have doubles in every subject and we did last year as well, and had them in most subjects for j.c. Although double maths twice a week is a bit of joke, that's seven classes of maths a week.

Count yourself lucky. I have 8 classes of maths a week. I might even have 9 because I don't do LCVP so I can do an extra maths class during that time slot. We'll also start doing extra maths classes after school on Wednesdays. My life is going to be dominated by maths. =/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Computer Science in TCD and UCD is up 65 and 60 points respectively. Now in the 450~470 range with probably a similar jump next year. And here I was thinking I'd be aiming for a low points course. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

In UCC it's up 10 to 340, the quality of course in the Dublin colleges isn't particularly higher either. Something to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

We started career guidance today which in my case is a whole load of crap. Didn't do anything other than be "realistic" with your goals, as in if you got 200 points in the summer exams don't expect to get 600 in the LC. :rolleyes:
    Well, whatever else ye pay attention to in that class, please pay close attention to the CAO stuff! ;)

The amount of people who come on here every year in August going:

"so ... CAO offers are next week ... so what happens exactly? Do they ring me or wha'?"

or

"I got the points for my first choice. I don't want it!!! I only put it first because it sounded cool and I never thought I'd get the points!! Can I take my 4th choice instead?!"

is just ... unreal! :eek:

The CAO handbook is your friend! Read through it, get at least a clear sense of HOW it works, there are threads on here with info too, and hopefully your teacher will be helpful and clear as well.

What's the point of slaving for two years to get good results, and throwing it all away, or at least wasting a year, because you didn't properly research what course you wanted to do, or botched the CAO application? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Computer Science in TCD and UCD is up 65 and 60 points respectively. Now in the 450~470 range with probably a similar jump next year. And here I was thinking I'd be aiming for a low points course. :rolleyes:

25 extra points for maths probably bumped that up considerably, it will probably level off a bit for next year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Been one day and I'm exhausted already! Double Maths last thing on a friday and double german first thing on a wednesday are really just the worst things, timetables not too bad though. No free classes this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

Glee_GG wrote: »
    Been one day and I'm exhausted already! Double Maths last thing on a friday and double german first thing on a wednesday are really just the worst things, timetables not too bad though. No free classes this year :(

I'm starting to get sick of double german, don't know how I'll get through another year of it :/

Over 150 first years in my school now... needless to say its crowded :rolleyes:

Hectic timetable... and to top it all off, we got an English essay to do on the very first day back xD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

curly135 wrote: »
    I'm starting to get sick of double german, don't know how I'll get through another year of it :/

Over 150 first years in my school now... needless to say its crowded :rolleyes:

Hectic timetable... and to top it all off, we got an English essay to do on the very first day back xD
    We got about 260 of the runts in out school now, and only around 140 left. Getting crowded is an understatement. over 1,100 students in a school made for 800.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

School tomorrow, 2 weeks after my sister received her leaving cert results and got 600 I have cleared out her study room(I studied in my room up along, and slept a lot when I should have been studying) daunting isn't the word. A decent room in fairness, away from any distractions and all that.

Im anxious for the year just to start now, the classroom in the morning is bound to be full of nervous tension...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Not going too bad so far, back since Monday. Evening study begins Monday week so thats when I'll start knuckling down I hope.

I'm hoping to do Computer Games Development and the points shouldnt be a problem but I need at least a B1 in pass maths which I don't think I''ll be able to manage unfortunately, I'm not too good with numbers! I planned on just doing the bare minimum in Maths and passing it which I am very well capable of but that requirement has put a spanner in the works, pity I didnt see it last year!

How's everyone else settling in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Poufsouffle

Starting tomorrow too, just want to get it over with and settled into the year.
    It'll be odd being the oldest group in the school though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

TheStook wrote: »
    I'm hoping to do Computer Games Development and the points shouldnt be a problem but I need at least a B1 in pass maths which I don't think I''ll be able to manage unfortunately, I'm not too good with numbers! I planned on just doing the bare minimum in Maths and passing it which I am very well capable of but that requirement has put a spanner in the works, pity I didnt see it last year!

Just study the shit out of maths so, if you start now you should be able to manage a B1. Do lots of exam papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Classof2013

Back today and I am exhausted :( Just need to get back in the swing of things I suppose! Double english and double maths on the same day :o

Already have 2 tests next week and got a giant German comprehension to do for homework and 5 long maths questions.. I really hope this year flies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Haven't even started yet and I've lost all motivation.......yay. Well this year should be fun.......

Maybe if I had even the slightest idea about what I wanted to do after the LC I'd be the least bit excited but I'm comin up empty here with ideas :( Anyone else?

Maybe if I had even the slightest idea about what I wanted to do after the LC I'd be the least bit excited but I'm comin up empty here with ideas :( Anyone else?

I don't know fully what I want to do either. :( I'm strangely motivated though, made a study timetable a few hours ago. :pac:

I want to do veterinary medicine and I literally have no choice but to study like a lunatic the points are so high :( 585, kill me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

I want to do veterinary medicine and I literally have no choice but to study like a lunatic the points are so high :( 585, kill me now.

I'm repeating for vet med! They're so ridiculously high! :(

Cruel Sun wrote: »
    I don't know fully what I want to do either. :( I'm strangely motivated though, made a study timetable a few hours ago. :pac:

The amount of time I spend making Study Timetables is unholy, I think I have OCD when it comes to study, everything has to be organized and part of the schedule and if I miss one day then I make a new schedule, its terrible haha.

Just study the shit out of maths so, if you start now you should be able to manage a B1. Do lots of exam papers.

That's the plan, I had a terrible substitute teacher last year so I've a lot of catching up to do. Well she wasnt terrible but you don't exactly get the most attentive and enthusiastic classmates in pass maths unfortunately, especially when a young sub teacher is teaching!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

The amount of time I spend making Study Timetables is unholy, I think I have OCD when it comes to study, everything has to be organized and part of the schedule and if I miss one day then I make a new schedule, its terrible haha.

I wasted so much time doing that last year :P

• Advertisement

Flabangav wrote: »
    I wasted so much time doing that last year :P

I'm not alone thank God

Flabangav wrote: »
    I'm repeating for vet med! They're so ridiculously high! :(

Maybe we'll end up in the same classes then this time next year :D The points are just depressing it's like you have to get A1s in almost everything. So much pressure!!

Are any of yee guys' studying yet? I want to but I just cant motivate myself so hopefully Evening study and possibly night study will force me to.

Also, can any of yee listen to music and study at the same time? I do it but Im not sure if its such a good idea but I love my music way too much to put it away haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I know its sad and all,but the minute I knew I was repeating I went and made up a timetable..Like a week ago :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Classof2013

I have a timetable too! haha good to know I'm not the only one :)

What subjects is everyone doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Are any of yee guys' studying yet? I want to but I just cant motivate myself so hopefully Evening study and possibly night study will force me to.

Also, can any of yee listen to music and study at the same time? I do it but Im not sure if its such a good idea but I love my music way too much to put it away haha

studies prove classical is the only one you should be listening to while studying!

David1994 wrote: »
    I know its sad and all,but the minute I knew I was repeating I went and made up a timetable..Like a week ago :pac:

I know, I'm so much more motivated this year, I couldn't care less about studying this time last year.

I'm gonna start studying on Monday, well that's the plan anyway. :pac: I'm not able to study while listening to music, wish I could but I just start daydreaming. :pac:

Sunny!! wrote: »
    studies prove classical is the only one you should be listening to while studying!

I'll download a bit of the old' Ludwig Van so my brother

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

I did a bit today and yesterday. Haven't got much homework so far so figured I should make the most of the free time before we really start getting work :)

I listen to classical music when studying...mainly because I play classical instruments so I like it and I find it helps me concentrate more, I can't study in complete silence - it drives me crazy! Although sometimes if I'm listening to a really catchy piece of music I find myself humming along instead of writing/reading, so maybe not the best idea :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

I have a timetable too! haha good to know I'm not the only one :)

What subjects is everyone doing?

Physics, Biology, Music, French and then the three core subjects. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement