Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

School tomorrow, all I can say is 6th year. . .
    come_at_me_bro_by_dust_bite-d3b7voi_large.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

I did a bit today and yesterday. Haven't got much homework so far so figured I should make the most of the free time before we really start getting work :)

I listen to classical music when studying...mainly because I play classical instruments so I like it and I find it helps me concentrate more, I can't study in complete silence - it drives me crazy! Although sometimes if I'm listening to a really catchy piece of music I find myself humming along instead of writing/reading, so maybe not the best idea :)

Any classical music recommendations? I never thought I'd hear myself say that but there ya go, thats what the Leaving does to ye!

I have a timetable too! haha good to know I'm not the only one :)

What subjects is everyone doing?

French,Economics,Business,Biology,Ag.Science and all the core subjects, all honours except maths and Irish.

And possibly Religion aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

TheStook wrote: »
    Any classical music recommendations? I never thought I'd hear myself say that but there ya go, thats what the Leaving does to ye!

beethoven and mozart:)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Well, at the moment I'm listening to the Goldberg Variations by Bach...they're pretty relaxing but some of them are really catchy! And there is a mix of slow and fast pieces there too. I listen to Glenn Gould's version who was quite a strange pianist...he insisted on bringing this small chair around with him wherever he went so he could play piano using it, literally he was barely above ground level when playing. He thought that he could control the tone of the piano better the lower he was :) and he insisted on singing along to the piano when playing so on the recording I have, although the editors tried their best to edit it out, you can always hear him humming in the background, sometimes more enthusiastically than others. But putting that aside, he is regarded as probably the best interpreter of the Goldberg variations. :)

tldr: don't know why I ended up giving you a biography of the pianist...my bad. Listen to the goldbergs!

Sometimes I listen to some pretty cool organ works by Bach- may not be your cup of tea but some of them are nice to listen to, especially the really lively ones...I'm a bit of a Bach fan :)

But Mozart is cool too...really anything by Mozart is good to study to! If you don't like classical music, you could just try music without words? :)

Seriously, classical music isn't all that bad once you get used to it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I'll feel a whole lot better once tomorrow is over

even jazz will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Sunny!! wrote: »
    even jazz will do!

*shudder*

I'd prefer to cut off my own ears :pac:

*shudder*

I'd prefer to cut off my own ears :pac:

its not that bad :L wouldnt listen to that much myself though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Ludovico Einaudi - Live at the Royal Albert Hall
    Yann Tiersen... get a compilation of his.

Contemporary classical piano. Class.

edit: Personally, I study to Explosions in the Sky, The Redneck Manifesto, Enemies, the Florence + The Machine instrumentals, some film soundtracks (Hans Zimmer... <3) etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

David1994 wrote: »
    I know its sad and all,but the minute I knew I was repeating I went and made up a timetable..Like a week ago :pac:

Me too :P I started it the day we got the results...
    I have a timetable too! haha good to know I'm not the only one :)

What subjects is everyone doing?

Maths, English, Biology, Chemistry, Music, Spanish, and ordinary level Irish. I'm going to take up another subject too, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Flabangav wrote: »
    Me too :P I started it the day we got the results...

Maths, English, Biology, Chemistry, Music, Spanish, and ordinary level Irish. I'm going to take up another subject too, I think.

Haha :P Feels good to be organised :pac:
    You pretty much do all the same subjects as me..Except I do Geography instead of Music.

Haha :P Feels good to be organised :pac:
    You pretty much do all the same subjects as me..Except I do Geography instead of Music.

Cool :) what course do you want to do? I'm organised except I'm not technically enrolled in school yet, because they won't call me back :P :(

Cool :) what course do you want to do? I'm organised except I'm not technically enrolled in school yet, because they won't call me back :P :(

I want to do primary teaching :D Yeah my school started back today. Supposed to be getting notified by school whether I can repeat there or not..Pretty sure I will be though :P

I want to do primary teaching :D Yeah my school started back today. Supposed to be getting notified by school whether I can repeat there or not..Pretty sure I will be though :P

Mine started back on Tuesday, but I was in England. Success! They just called me back to come in and speak to the Principal today :D

Mine started back on Tuesday, but I was in England. Success! They just called me back to come in and speak to the Principal today :D

Nice one! :D Yeah funny I just got a call from the principal there so I think I'm in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭moriz

daz801 wrote: »
    Although double maths twice a week is a bit of joke, that's seven classes of maths a week.

I've 7 classes of maths a week too! I thought that's a bit ridiculous. Ah well, at least I can improve my maths.

We got PE taken away from our timetable, everyone was pretty bummed!:(

First day back in school today, planning to start study on Monday most likely.
    Have loads of motivation to do it, but 9 months seems like such a long time to get everything done! Judging by your posts, it obviously isn't that long then..

Anyone any tips on making a study timetable on the computer? I tried Excel last year, but I'm not a whiz with these things so I gave up cos it ended up looking stupid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

My first day wasn't awful guys. It was fine. That was as good as I could have expected, I suppose. The sheer volume of all that I'm meant to know by June is absolutely terrifying though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Went back to school today, 'twas mostly GRAAAND! No changes in the amount of classes we get, my timetable is pretty sedate, the first half of the week is relaxing enough as the exam classes have relaxing subjects following them, but the second half of the week has almost no relaxing subjects, but it's fine, I'm not sweating it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Nice one! :D Yeah funny I just got a call from the principal there so I think I'm in :)

When do you start back? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 SleepAlone

So many people mistook me for afirst year today. Why must I be finished growing? :(

Cruel Sun wrote: »
    When do you start back? :pac:

Hopefully Monday :D
    SleepAlone wrote: »
    So many people mistook me for afirst year today. Why must I be finished growing? :(

Story of my life..Kinda getting taller though now so thats good I suppose :) Have looked like 2/3 years younger than everyone throughout school :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

First day back. Wasn't dreadful but it wasn't amazing either so it was alright like. We did practically nothing so the teachers just talked and talked and talked some more, the usual.

Timetable isn't too bad but I haven't got it all figured out just yet beause they made an absolute shambles of making them out so everyone's is wrong. They didnt give us lockers either and there wasnt a hope of getting a journal thee queue was so long and when we were about 5 people from the top of the line the office closed for lunch. Typical! A little organisation wouldn't go astray.

We've a new French teacher aswell because our old one has to cover another teachers classes because of cutbacks. I loved and I mean really loved, our old teacher. This new one is suposedly awful and I hate the class already!

I don't know about the rest of ye but I'm wrecked after one day and nearly everywhere is aching for one reason or another. I've already ruined a pair of tights aswell; they've got a heap of see through patches on them for some reason....
    Someone's gonna sleep tonight....

I love how the threads supposed to bee off topic but we're all just on ****ting it over the Leaving, myself included haha. I suppose it'll be like that for the first couple of weeks I guess.

What music do yee guys and gals like/ listen to atm? My two favourite artists are The Doors and Kid Cudi which says it all about my music taste, I like everything haha.

Good :) I'm starting Monday.

My timetable seems alright, but no double Maths :( just two classes in one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I love how the threads supposed to bee off topic but we're all just on ****ting it over the Leaving, myself included haha. I suppose it'll be like that for the first couple of weeks I guess.

What music do yee guys and gals like/ listen to atm? My two favourite artists are The Doors and Kid Cudi which says it all about my music taste, I like everything haha.

Yeah, that's what I was saying a few days ago haha!

I like Coldplay, Foo Fighters, KOL, Avicii, Deadmau5 and also pretty much everything else in the charts..

The Doors & Kid Cudi are a big contrast though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

First day back, pretty easy going, teachers just giving us the usual speech about study etc.. Had PE too today which was cool.

Anybody else have monthly exams ? :( We have them for every subject on the last thursday of the month, tiring but I suppose it's good to keep us going.

MGMTea wrote: »
    First day back, pretty easy going, teachers just giving us the usual speech about study etc.. Had PE too today which was cool.

Anybody else have monthly exams ? :( We have them for every subject on the last thursday of the month, tiring but I suppose it's good to keep us going.

We had P.E today aswell and for some reason our idiotic new teacher wanted us to play Basketball when alls we've been doing for 5 years is playing football so we all decided to rebel and just play football with the basketball to piss her off.

This resulted is a punishment of no Football for the rest of the year, looks like I'll be studying for P.E from now on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

My favorite artists would probably be to the Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Sparklehorse, RHCP, Sunny Day Real Estate and Silversun Pickups but I listen to a lot of other type of stuff as well. I also like The Doors. :pac:

• Advertisement

Cruel Sun wrote: »
    My favorite artists would probably be to the Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Sparklehorse, RHCP, Sunny Day Real Estate and Silversun Pickups but I listen to a lot of other type of stuff as well. I also like The Doors. :pac:

You've got great taste :), I love RHCP, seen them in Croke Park in June and they we're amazing I thought.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement