Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

TheStook wrote: »
    You've got great taste :), I love RHCP, seen them in Croke Park in June and they we're amazing I thought.

I'd say that would have been class! :D Can't believe holidays are practically over....summer went so fast. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Cruel Sun wrote: »
    I'd say that would have been class! :D Can't believe holidays are practically over....summer went so fast. :(

I know its absolutely ridiculous how fast it went haha, hopefully next Summer will be better with the L.C holiday and the fact that I'll be 18 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Jaysus lads, this homework is ridiculous! I don't think I spent as long during 5th year on it as I have tonight :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Classof2013

I'm doing Maths,German,Irish,English,Chemistry,History,Religion,Biology and Economics!

Oh and my favourite band is My Bloody Valentine, that shoe gaze/ alternative rock band from Dublin in the 80's and 90's. I know..I'm quite weird :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

Anyone here like Sigur Rós? They're playing at the Electric Picnic, and they're from Iceland which is pretty cool..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 SleepAlone

Anyone here like Sigur Rós? They're playing at the Electric Picnic, and they're from Iceland which is pretty cool..

My Dad has the album and plays it all the time, so I recognise a lot of their songs but just don't have a clue what they're called! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Serious Arctic Monkeys fan myself..into The Killers, The Strokes, Coldplay, Mumford and Sons and stuff like that aswell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

Queen have always been my favorite band, Brian May's the reason I started playing guitar :) Pure awesomeness! :D I was fairly devastated when I found out Bohemian Rhapsody came up as the main listening q last June :(

I'm listening to a good bit of Thin Lizzy atm too, gotta love the twin guitar harmonies :p

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Mumford and Sons are my life <3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I'm wreaked. Still enjoying 6th year but I so need the weekend.

I was a big snow patrol fan but their recent stuff isn't as good. Like the foo fighters, a bit of coldplay nd loads of other stuff.

No one admitting to liking chart fodder then? :p

0mega wrote: »
    No one admitting to liking chart fodder then? :p
    Some is good,
    Some is bad,
    And some is just terrible.

decisions wrote: »
    Some is good,
    Some is bad,
    And some is just terrible.

Just to highlight your point, here's what is number 1 in the UK this week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsy7kJyizoc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Glee_GG wrote: »
    Mumford and Sons are my life <3
    I have major Mumford and Sons love <3<3<3<3<3 New album next mont!! Aaaaah. Excitement!

Now that I've got that out of my system. I'm a serious music addict, its actually ridiculous. Ed Sheeran <3<3 Muse, The Killers, Coldplay,Biffy Clyro, FUN, Vampire Weekend, TheBeatles. I could go on forever here.

I think my last fm is still in my sig if ye're that Interested.

There is something so soulful about Ed's singing.

Anyway I'm off to bed, up early to study straith pics for a teat 1st class.
    Night peeps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

I have major Mumford and Sons love <3<3<3<3<3 New album next mont!! Aaaaah. Excitement!

Now that I've got that out of my system. I'm a serious music addict, its actually ridiculous. Ed Sheeran <3<3 Muse, The Killers, Coldplay,Biffy Clyro, FUN, Vampire Weekend, TheBeatles. I could go on forever here.

I think my last fm is still in my sig if ye're that Interested.

Very good taste in music indeed. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Poufsouffle

First day back today and i am so exhausted right now. I got homework in every single subject :( it took me 4 hours! Although i put a lot of effort into it which slowed me down finishing earlier
    I suppose . I think my time table is ok it was up on the notice board and i didn't get a chance to take it down
    :) 6 maths classes a
    week including a double on Wednesday. I'm doing chemistry, bio, geography and French.
    I don't even own an ipod so i will avoid all this music talk, i do really like emeli sande though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Just to highlight your point, here's what is number 1 in the UK this week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsy7kJyizoc

What the **** is THAT..Its actually so sad how stuff like that is being passed as music nowadays and genuinely talented artists like Scroobius Pip etc. barely gets a look in on the charts, in saying that however I'd be pi$$ed if my Scroobius became really famous. Call me a Hipster all you like but theres nothing more annoying than you're favourite band/tv show etc. becoming ridiculously famous and people jumping on the bandwagon.
    Kings of Leon used to be amazing and although their last album kind of went back to their roots, they will never be the same again and its sad. Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Reviewing my scripts today :/ Can't wait to see how a A/B student got a D1 in English :P

• Advertisement

David1994 wrote: »
    Reviewing my scripts today :/ Can't wait to see how a A/B student got a D1 in English :P

Wow, that must have been a nasty shock when you saw your results :\

Weekend! :D

I don't have a huuuge amount of homework either so I'm pretty happy. Feels like I've been in 6th year for weeks at this stage :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Wow, that must have been a nasty shock when you saw your results :\

Weekend! :D

I don't have a huuuge amount of homework either so I'm pretty happy. Feels like I've been in 6th year for weeks at this stage :P

Words cannot describe how distraught I was :P
    Hopefully starting back on Monday! I am actually dying to go back and just get cracking :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Oh and my favourite band is My Bloody Valentine, that shoe gaze/ alternative rock band from Dublin in the 80's and 90's. I know..I'm quite weird :o
    THIS GUY KNOWS WHAT'S UP.
    Actually you all do and I gotta call ye out on exceptional taste. I got mad love for most of the bands you guys are listing out here. I'm big into the new albums from The XX, Two Door Cinema Club, Passion Pit and Frank Ocean right now... but honestly if you want a better idea of my taste in music, you should listen in to the internet radio show I do every week (Sundays at 9pm. Go on, listen to it lads). It's got about ten listeners every week but I love doing it, and I do a bit of a dance music mix at the end. I've taken up DJing, here's a short mix I've done.

TheStook wrote: »
    I'd be pi$$ed if my Scroobius became really famous. Call me a Hipster all you like but theres nothing more annoying than you're favourite band/tv show etc. becoming ridiculously famous and people jumping on the bandwagon.
    I dunno. I'd be happy for Scroobius to get famous, make more money for good music and get a name for himself out there. Sure, there's a bandwagon effect, but if people like the music and it doesn't get any worse, what's not to love? Of course, there's the problem of the radio running every good song to the ground (they REALLY love playing that new Of Monsters And Men single and I'm getting tired of it so fast), but other than that, no harm in bands becoming famous.

-

Now, weekend. Celebrating my new 6th-yearness by going out to 18ths and completely ignoring the work to be done. Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

The amount of homework I've gotten for the weekend. Seriously not funny. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

From talking to the teachers I found out a few things today.

Firstly the Maths paper this year had to be corrected 4 times :( because they couldn't find enough A's to fit the normal 'bell curve' marking scheme that they like to have!

Also the Irish had to be recorrected to mark down the results overall because there were too many A's etc because of the 40% for the oral!

The Maths books (at least ours anyway which is New Consise Project maths) are available soon enough but that the exam papers mightn't be available until Christmas :o

And finally for fear of starting off another Heaney-Plath episode like last year, my English teacher says because there are 3 classical poets, those being ones dead over 100 years (Shakespeare, Hopkins and Wordsworth) he reckons there's a good chance at least one question will be about one of them! ;)

Firstly the Maths paper this year had to be corrected 4 times :( because they couldn't find enough A's to fit the normal 'bell curve' marking scheme that they like to have!
    ah. Project Maths is a failure then, how long until we see the whole thing redesigned?
    Also the Irish had to be recorrected to mark down the results overall because there were too many A's etc because of the 40% for the oral!
    Class.
    And finally for fear of starting off another Heaney-Plath episode like last year, my English teacher says because there are 3 classical poets, those being ones dead over 100 years (Shakespeare, Hopkins and Wordsworth) he reckons there's a good chance at least one question will be about one of them! ;)
    well yeah that makes a lot of sense. Still hoping for Plath this year though. While not looking to rely on her, she's just so damn easy to write for. Got me my 93% in 5th year exams :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

That's very good for us as students though tbf, makes things look a bit more hopeful for borderline A/B students, which I'd consider myself to be.

Colm! wrote: »
    Class.

Why is that class?! :pac:

Slow Show wrote: »
    Why is that class?! :pac:
    I see nothing wrong with an easier Irish course, especially when it does a better job of teaching the language :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

I see nothing wrong with an easier Irish course, especially when it does a better job of teaching the language :pac:

I love the fact that the Irish course is easier and that it is essentially a better course but I don't think the fact they had to recorrect the papers is good for us because that means they are trying not to give people A's! For people like me who really need the A, It certainly isn't good that they are trying to make the course look harder than it actually is, by giving out a limited amount of A's. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

ah. Project Maths is a failure then, how long until we see the whole thing redesigned?

A long time, apparently the head of the NCCA (the crowd who set the curriculum) will have to go before anything changes as scrapping it now would be an admission that millions of euro were wasted making project maths in the first place and he is not willing to do that under any circumstances!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement