Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

daz801 wrote: »
    So how many points is everyone looking for and what courses do ye want to do.
    I'm looking to get about 450 and want to do either computer science and software engineering, culinary arts or engineering.

I'm hoping for 600, really. Vet med was 580* on second round offers this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

MGMTea wrote: »
    I'd absolutely love to do Computer Science or something like that. Is it vital to do Higher Maths for computing ? 'cause I don't think I'll be doing that

Check the course requirements, in some colleges (eg. Trinity) you need to have done Higher Level.

It's not really vital to have done higher level, the maths isn't really that difficult. Points wise, aim a lot higher than what was needed last year. CS in UCD could reach 500+.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I have no real clue what I want to do. I change my mind practically every day because there's nothing that I'm majorly interested in over everything else.

My latest idea (and by latest I mean I came up with this last night) is English in Maynooth which is 440 and I'd probably combine it with geography. 440 is definatey reachable by my standards and if I could do even better and get a scholarship of some sort I'd be over the moon completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Car insurance :mad:

I'm on a provisional licence and I'm taking lessons, and have just been quoted €5000 to be a named driver on my mother's 07 Opel Corsa for a year.

Yes, 5 GRAND!!! :eek:

That was on Britton insurance, can anyone recommend anyone that is usually cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Poufsouffle

moriz wrote: »
    Have you got a recipe for that Poufsouffle ? :) would love to try making them!

Just finished making them, waiting for them to cool down now:D
    They were really easy to make, here's how I made them (my edited version with all the directions from the recipe I used):

225g of butter
    225g soft light brown sugar
    2tbsp golden syrup
    350g rolled oats (I used Flahavans porridge oats)
    75g chopped hazelnuts
    50g raisins (I added a bit more)

This wasn't in the recipe but I added:

A few drops of Vanilla Essence
    White chocolate to drizzle on top (100g was plenty, you can use whatever type of chocolate though if you don't like white) :p

1. Preheat the oven to 160 celsius
    2. Butter and line an 8x10 in brownie tin (mine was a bit bigger)
    3. Melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup on a low heat in a saucepan, then take off the heat.
    4. Add the oats, hazelnuts, raisins and if you want the vanilla essence.
    5. Place in the brownie tin and smooth out.
    6. Bake for 30 mins until golden brown around the ages.
    7. Leave to cool for 5 minutes, cut out the outlines of the individual bars.
    8. Melt the chocolate and drizzle over the bars.
    9. Enjoy!

I'm going to try them, I'll report back on their tastiness :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭therambler

Howzitgoin people? :D Im new to boards! Anyone else feel LC is goin to be mighty craic? The debs committee feuds....the meltdowns... the sessions :p And dont forget minor championship next year! :p Anyways this post is off topic in the off topic thread but I'm just poppin in here to say hello :) (beginnin to the my username is quite apt already :rolleyes: )

Car insurance :mad:

I'm on a provisional licence and I'm taking lessons, and have just been quoted €5000 to be a named driver on my mother's 07 Opel Corsa for a year.

Yes, 5 GRAND!!! :eek:

That was on Britton insurance, can anyone recommend anyone that is usually cheaper?

If you're nearly 18 wait and get the full licence, way cheaper with insurance :) Aviva are apparently pretty cheap

therambler wrote: »
    If you're nearly 18 wait and get the full licence, way cheaper with insurance :) Aviva are apparently pretty cheap

Yeah I was thinking that, I'm doing lessons like but it will be hard to pass the test if I can't practice outside lessons if ya know what I mean :L

I'm not 18 till next May btw

Yeah I was thinking that, I'm doing lessons like but it will be hard to pass the test if I can't practice outside lessons if ya know what I mean :L

I suppose one of the benefits of livin in the middle of nowhere is quiet country backroads :rolleyes:

My cousin lives in the city and he practices in a large carpark in the evenin...could be an option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Beach?

Also not 18 until May :(

• Advertisement

Beach is an option alright, 30 min drive away though so not ideal. There is a large industrial estate near us so I could do some driving in there in evenings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Poufsouffle

I would be completely terrified of driving, I'd probably make a little mistake then freak out thinking I was about to crash into someone and just drive straight into a wall instead :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

So how was everyones first Saturday night as a 6th year, in following with the saying "Start as you mean to proceed" I got absolutely trolleyed at an 18th and am making an attempt at some study this morning ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

So how was everyones first Saturday night as a 6th year, in following with the saying "Start as you mean to proceed" I got absolutely trolleyed at an 18th and am making an attempt at some study this morning ;)

The exact same as yours. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

That's my plan for next weekend.

I spent the evening on the couch watching rugby, didn't even go to the pub :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Prince Swag

daz801 wrote: »
    So how many points is everyone looking for and what courses do ye want to do.
    I'm looking to get about 450 and want to do either computer science and software engineering, culinary arts or engineering.

im hoping to do multimedia in cit which is around 365 points !

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭moriz

I haven't the slightest clue what to do after I'm finished or what I wanna do in college. It's so frustrating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Pretty much the same. Writing an English essay hungover, claaaass.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

I'm going for music in UCC, 370 points this year, down 5 from last year. I'm hoping to get somewhere between 400-500 points though, just to be safe :p

CIT's my second choice, same course... so I'm gonna be fairly busy around April doing the entrance test for both of em :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Medicine for me :D
    Came on here because I'm trying to write an opinion piece in French on something we have never done. My teacher is so useless its unbelievable, we actually do nothing in class. Plus I've an English essay to write which must include 6 poems and be at least 6 pages.. 6th year is just the best :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

[QUOTE=Eurovisionmad;80566716]So how was everyones first Saturday night as a 6th year, in following with the saying "Start as you mean to proceed" I got absolutely trolleyed at an 18th and am making an attempt at some study this morning ;)[/QUOTE]
    I can't really remember and haven't heard anything bad so I'm going to presume good........slight memory of talking to one of my teachers in a club, so that mightn't have gone too well :o

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Came on here because I'm trying to write an opinion piece in French on something we have never done. My teacher is so useless its unbelievable, we actually do nothing in class. Plus I've an English essay to write which must include 6 poems and be at least 6 pages.. 6th year is just the best :D

Consider yourself lucky that you're teacher is even giving you opinion pieces to write. My teachers idea of setting homework, is getting us to translate word for word a comprehension from either the book or exam papers. She has never once told us anything about writing opinion pieces, or any essay for that matter! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Consider yourself lucky that you're teacher is even giving you opinion pieces to write. My teachers idea of setting homework, is getting us to translate word for word a comprehension from either the book or exam papers. She has never once told us anything about writing opinion pieces, or any essay for that matter! :(
    I suppose but I think my dislike of her and how we do nothing in class factors into it! We had a double last week and I swear we did nothing, we actually don't learn anything in that class. Also she makes loads of mistakes and tells us contradicting things so I never know when to use what she says or just disregard it totally :/

I suppose but I think my dislike of her and how we do nothing in class factors into it! We had a double last week and I swear we did nothing, we actually don't learn anything in that class. Also she makes loads of mistakes and tells us contradicting things so I never know when to use what she says or just disregard it totally :/

My teacher is a bit like that too. We had a double last week and I am not kidding, we spent nearly the whole class learning about the number 1 song in the charts in France at the moment. The song is cool but it's not something 6th year students should be wasting time on when we could be learning and doing something productive. I think the two of us will be doing most of our own preparation for the LC, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Just chiming in that I was the same as you guys last year with a sh*t teacher in French. Just listen to French music, it's so much fun and you learn loads of vocab with no effort. :) And http://french.about.com is where I learned all my grammar. Simples. :D
    (I'll leave this thread now, I just hate seeing people with bad French teachers </3 :L)

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Just chiming in that I was the same as you guys last year with a sh*t teacher in French. Just listen to French music, it's so much fun and you learn loads of vocab with no effort. :) And http://french.about.com is where I learned all my grammar. Simples. :D
    (I'll leave this thread now, I just hate seeing people with bad French teachers </3 :L)

Thank you! :) any French music recommendations? The ones we were learning in class were "Wati House" and "Ma Direction" by the group Sexion d'Assaut. I really liked them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Never heard those ones! :O My favourites are Elle Me Dit by Mika and Comme Des Enfants by Coeur de Pirate, but everything be Coeur is amazing really. :P Elle Me Dit was really good for vocabulary and expressions too since it's a really kind of happy/informal song. :)
    Oh, and the one we did in 5th year which started me off of course: Quelqu'un m'a dit by Carla Bruni. <3

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Never heard those ones! :O My favourites are Elle Me Dit by Mika and Comme Des Enfants by Coeur de Pirate, but everything be Coeur is amazing really. :P Elle Me Dit was really good for vocabulary and expressions too since it's a really kind of happy/informal song. :)

I love Elle Me Dit! But I've only listened to it a couple of times, I'll have to put it on my iPod! I haven't checked out Coeur yet but I will! Thanks for that!

And Wati House and Ma Direction are new, didn't come out until May and July, I think. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

What's annoying is that most of the French bands I like sing in English though. But yes, any Coeur De Pirate. Wonderful stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Thank you! :) any French music recommendations? The ones we were learning in class were "Wati House" and "Ma Direction" by the group Sexion d'Assaut. I really liked them! :)

OMFG... I love Sexion d'Assaut! Ma direction is an awesome song...

Also look up Tal - Le sens de la vie.

It's a great, and catchy song :L

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement