Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

SleepAlone wrote: »
    Anyone do german and know any german music? :P
    Oh god I really need to stop posting in this thread but language talk gets me so excited :pac: I didn't do German but I'm planning to learn it this year and neunundneunzig luftballons ist ein gut lied. :P
    (Idk if my grammar is right, I've only learned the tiniest amount, but I tried :cool:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Oh god I really need to stop posting in this thread but language talk gets me so excited :pac: I didn't do German but I'm planning to learn it this year and neunundneunzig luftballons ist ein gut lied. :P
    (Idk if my grammar is right, I've only learned the tiniest amount, but I tried :cool:)

Ég vil að læra Íslensku. So yeah, that's I wanna learn Icelandic. I went there on summer holidays(?!) with my family and it was incredible. Just such an amazing country, and because I'm a bit of a language nerd, I picked up a "learn Icelandic" book, but with sixth year, I won't have a chance to really delve into it. D: Next year though, for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I'm so fecking tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I am still not finished my homework (quick break now) and I started at around 5.30/6.. And this is me leaving out 2 subjects.. Seriously where are we meant to find the time to study? Plus I am exhausted and I'm only back a week. My eyes were literally closing doing my accounting homework.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

I am still not finished my homework (quick break now) and I started at around 5.30/6.. And this is me leaving out 2 subjects.. Seriously where are we meant to find the time to study? Plus I am exhausted and I'm only back a week. My eyes were literally closing doing my accounting homework.

I thought mine was bad, I started at half 5 and finished it 10, with no time to study either... A lot of that has to be attributed to me being a complete failure at accounting(we got 2 60 markers), but we got 3 verses of a plath poem to learn off, a summary to do on the poem, a sample answer in Irish to learn off, and sraith pictiurloads of maths q's, and a french diary entry... And I have Irish grinds tomorrow night, I haven't a clue where I'm going to find the time to do it all if we get the same amount again tomorrow night.

Off topic again, still havn't broken my resolution to stay away from the xbox during the week:P... It ****s with your mind does the xbox, what seems like an hour on it is like 4 in the real world...

As for the study, I tried to do as much as I could at the weekend, but a basketball match in the middle of the day saturday kind of messed that up a bit...

Ugh, Leaving Cert, I hate you

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Solid_Shepard

Does anyone here do French with the book "Formule 1"? I don't have the CD and have homework that requires the CD on page 3 and I'm wondering if anyone here could give me the answers so I can get the CD after tomorrow without getting in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

few words of encouragement, these weeks are the worst, once you finish most of your courses round christmas time you will have plenty of time for revision and study

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

All of ye have it pretty bad by the sounds of things, I get no more than an hours homework each night, not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing this year though, any other year and I'd be laughing at ye.

Evening study starts this Monday though so thats when I'll start studying, although I've been saying that for a year.

Does any of yeer schools provide Night study? Mine does but not sure If I'll do it before Christmas, might be a bit too much, in school from 9am to 9pm, jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

buyer95 wrote: »
    I thought mine was bad, I started at half 5 and finished it 10, with no time to study either...
    A lot of schools will pile on the homework in the early part of the year, knowing that *most* people won't be inclined to do much in the line of independent study with the exams this far away ... so better to be doing practical / measurable things like practicing accounting questions, working maths examples, etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

dont worry about the homework lads they lash it on at the start but by xmas id say i got no more!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Poufsouffle

Today's the first day I 'm actually worried about not getting my homework done. I have loads to do and I'm going to the hairdressers. Would it be really weird to sit there learning wordsworth quotes while I'm waiting?!

Also, half my class don't have the book for maths for paper 1 and it's out of stock but when my teacher rang
    the rep for the company she was told
    they're not printing any more 2013 books,
    what are they supposed to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Today's the first day I 'm actually worried about not getting my homework done. I have loads to do and I'm going to the hairdressers. Would it be really weird to sit there learning wordsworth quotes while I'm waiting?!

Also, half my class don't have the book for maths for paper 1 and it's out of stock but when my teacher rang
    the rep for the company she was told
    they're not printing any more 2013 books,
    what are they supposed to do!

My teacher warned us about this last year. She said if we didnt get the book last year they would stop publishing them and we'd have to do without! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I CANNOT concentrate this evening, I'm heading to the gym, hopefully I'll be able to study when I get back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

This homewor is killing me slowly but surely. And I"ve the mother of all cricks in my neck and across my shoulders! The amount of homework is actually ridic.

Anyone do their geography investigation yoke yet? We're headin to the bog tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Anyone do their geography investigation yoke yet? We're headin to the bog tomorrow.

Doing mine next month, think we're going to howth.

Also, I cannot study Business at all :( I can revise any other subject grand but business bores me something terrible

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Dunno lads, had 6 days of school now and its all just so underwhelming.
    Altho thats probs a good thing with the amount of school im set to miss in the nearby future.. >.<

We're starting our geo fieldwork in the next few weeks too, we're doing water tests on the suir or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Thankfully I'm not getting too much homework, 2-2 and a half hours most nights.

I do evening study for 2 hours after school, so what I've been doing is spending that 2 hours revising last years work, and doing homework when I get home. Its working out well cause I get 2 hours study every day which probably wouldn't happen if I did my homework in study!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

F*cking sick of Irish lads. All this motherf*cking learning and it's all just so completely pointless. UGH.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Slow Show wrote: »
    F*cking sick of Irish lads. All this motherf*cking learning and it's all just so completely pointless. UGH.

Pass Irish <3

Best decision I ever made was dropping back at the start of this year :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Pass Irish <3

Best decision I ever made was dropping back at the start of this year :pac:

Same, I'm basically ignoring Irish for the rest of the year. My mate last year dropped down and sort of had a deal with his teacher where he was just aloud study/do homework for other subjects in the class because he was pretty much guaranteed a pass at least and thats all he wanted.
    I might try that although my teacher is really defensive over the stupid subject so could backfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Poufsouffle

We'll be going to the beach to measure waves or something :p in the next 2 or 3 weeks, should be fun!:cool:

I wish evening study would start in my school already, we have to wait another 2 weeks, it's messing up all my study plans. Anyone else take about twice as long to do homework at home as they would in supervised study?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SleepAlone

All this talk of studying/homework is scaring me. I have done hardly anything yet. I'd do literally anything except homework...:p

I was getting really frustrated with my French dictionary because it didn't have the word I was looking for - "cacher" - in it and I was staring at the page for what felt like hours (slight exaggeration) trying to find it, then boom, it hits me...I was looking in the English part of the dictionary the whole time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

I was getting really frustrated with my French dictionary because it didn't have the word I was looking for - "cacher" - in it and I was staring at the page for what felt like hours (slight exaggeration) trying to find it, then boom, it hits me...I was looking in the English part of the dictionary the whole time :pac:

This happens to me more often than I'd care to admit! :P

Starting prep tomorrow night with all the boarders... It'll be fun I'm sure! It does mean being in school about 13hours a day though! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭moriz

That same kind of thing happened to me today when I was doin my homework! Both my English and French dictionarys are the same size and I had both of them on the desk next to me. I went to look up in the French dictionary what an English word would be in French. I was there staring at the word for about 5 mins no joke, wondering why it doesn't say it in French but in English:/ then I realised I had the wrong dictionary.. and this didn't happen only once..
    Maybe I need more sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Glad my teacher did all the poetry learning last year, wouldn't be able to handle all the study i'm doing at the moment, plus stupid poetry which takes forever to learn. :P

moriz wrote: »
    That same kind of thing happened to me today when I was doin my homework! Both my English and French dictionarys are the same size and I had both of them on the desk next to me. I went to look up in the French dictionary what an English word would be in French. I was there staring at the word for about 5 mins no joke, wondering why it doesn't say it in French but in English:/ then I realised I had the wrong dictionary.. and this didn't happen only once..
    Maybe I need more sleep!

Haha, sounds exactly like what happened to me! :) I'm putting it down to lack of sleep! Felt so stupid when I realised I had been looking in the wrong side of the dictionary for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I get about one hour homework max an evening and I get it done at school during free classes. I did get an English question today which I'm going to leave to the weekend. It's going be difficult as I haven't read the book yet. Haven't been going mad with study yet, just doing a few exam papers questions. I will gradually increase the study load (hopefully), school has been good so far . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭moriz

I've been pretty good with getting all my homework done every night and learning all the new stuff we're getting. I've spent about 2 or 3 hours a night on it.
    I haven't got around to doing much revision yet but hopefully we wont get as much homework later on in the year.. Will try do some revision over the weekend. Problem is I didn't bother my hole to actually learn stuff over 5th year, so I have to do all of that now :(

Also thinking of taking up Spanish for my leaving. I was looking at the ord level paper today and it seems alri. I did get an A in my junior in higher level so I feel like it would be easy for me to pick it up again. Don't know if it will be worth the hassle though..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement