Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Probably too early, but what is everyone planning/hoping to do when leaving school ? I wanna do programming so hoping to do Comp Applications in DCU :D and its only down the road from me so it'd be ace

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

MGMTea wrote: »
    Probably too early, but what is everyone planning/hoping to do when leaving school ? I wanna do programming so hoping to do Comp Applications in DCU :D and its only down the road from me so it'd be ace

I'll probably end up doing an Arts degree, with the goal of following that up with further education. I'm particularly interested in Economics, History, Journalism, Political Science and Philosophy. Don't know what I'll do with myself when I'm finished with education. May possibly head into Lecturing or Journalism, no clue really.

Anyone else desperate for the summer to finish up? I'm getting a little restless with boredom. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MWick94

I'll probably end up doing an Arts degree, with the goal of following that up with further education. I'm particularly interested in Economics, History, Journalism, Political Science and Philosophy. Don't know what I'll do with myself when I'm finished with education. May possibly head into Lecturing or Journalism, no clue really.

Anyone else desperate for the summer to finish up? I'm getting a little restless with boredom. :p

YES! I wish summer was over already. After having a three and a half month summer, I need to get back to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

DarkDusk wrote: »

Regarding Medicine, you will have to do higher level: maths, english, irish, another language, one science, another science and get an A in all of them to get in. No ifs, no buts.

There are a lot of ifs and buts to that tbf. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Keep hovering between Medicine and English & Psychology, leaning towards Medicine now but I'll probably be somewhere completely different by the time these two years are up.

Ewwww no, I hated it at first but summer can't end, it just can't. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

DarkDusk wrote: »
    Regarding Medicine, you will have to do higher level: maths, english, irish, another language, one science, another science and get an A in all of them to get in. No ifs, no buts..

not true, TCD and UCD both accept passes in Maths for Medicine but you need at least an OC3 Maths for TCD if you do not do Physics.

Points and course requirements are two separate entities, you can scrap a pass in Maths/English etc but not count it as one of your six. You need to meet the course requirements, but you can use any six subjects for your points.

You could sit X subjects, get your required grades in 2 Sciences, but use Art, History, Geography, English, French and Irish for your points

And for Medicine you have the HPAT, sure you have to get high grades but the HPAT would help make up some gap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

I think I might like to be a secondary school English and History teacher. Which would probably mean doing an arts degree in somewhere like UL. But I like the idea of journalism too... That is supposed to be a very hard game to get into though. But tbh I don't really know, which could mean doing the basic arts degree and then go in a different direction like someone said above to further my education. Also MWick94 how do you reckon we have had 3 and a half months of summer holidays? By my reckoning we all finished the J.C around the 20th of June(seeing as this is a 5th year thread) Not saying other years are not welcome, just wondering about your maths!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

yournerd wrote: »
    why you botherng with 2 science?

Technically I'm doing 4 Sciences if you want to count Applied Maths as a Science :L :)

buyer95 wrote: »
    I think I might like to be a secondary school English and History teacher. Which would probably mean doing an arts degree in somewhere like UL. But I like the idea of journalism too... That is supposed to be a very hard game to get into though. But tbh I don't really know, which could mean doing the basic arts degree and then go in a different direction like someone said above to further my education. Also MWick94 how do you reckon we have had 3 and a half months of summer holidays? By my reckoning we all finished the J.C around the 20th of June(seeing as this is a 5th year thread) Not saying other years are not welcome, just wondering about your maths!

I was in TY, and I finished on May 19th. That's how I figured I had 3 and a half months. Not everyone on here did their JC this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Summer has seemed really long this year but it's actually gone by so fast for a change. Just 2 weeks left of freedom but I;m actually looking forward to going back just a teensy-weency bit......:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

MWick94 wrote: »
    I was in TY, and I finished on May 19th. That's how I figured I had 3 and a half months. Not everyone on here did their JC this year.

Fair enough, my mistake! (Lucky bugger, with your ty)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

MWick94 wrote: »

Finished May 19th too so can't complain about this year's summer (besides the weather :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

bscm wrote: »
    not true, TCD and UCD both accept passes in Maths for Medicine but you need at least an OC3 Maths for TCD if you do not do Physics.

Points and course requirements are two separate entities, you can scrap a pass in Maths/English etc but not count it as one of your six. You need to meet the course requirements, but you can use any six subjects for your points.

You could sit X subjects, get your required grades in 2 Sciences, but use Art, History, Geography, English, French and Irish for your points

And for Medicine you have the HPAT, sure you have to get high grades but the HPAT would help make up some gap

I am fully aware of all that but in yournerd`s case he doesnt want to do any extra subjects, just the six to get into med.
    you would choose the least amount of subjects needed to get that course

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Erm...for me I am still pondering a whole load of ideas. I'd like to follow Music as a career (possibly teaching or performing) ...maybe do a degree in the RIAM but I am also thinking of just doing Science in TCD or a Music And Maths degree in TCD (I think there is such a thing!). I love playing the piano but I also love Maths and Science so it's a hard decision! :eek: We've still got a year and a half before the CAO forms have to be filled in so hopefully I'll have made my decision by then! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Im 90% sure that I will be definetly doing that course too! Looks so interesting and more programming-based than the other CS courses around. Im in mayo though so Ill have to travel a bit further....:( Its worth it though, the job prospects are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Thinking of Law or Accounting in TCD:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Liam McInerney

buyer95 wrote: »

I can relate to this because im thinking of teaching his and english in sec school but i really want to be a journalist. In TY i did work experience with The Irish Sun and it was an amazing experience and I defo wont to go down that road. Although points are quite high for journalism but il give it my best.

Excited for 5th year?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Shamrock883

I find it quite surreal posting in the Leaving Cert forum.

I did Transition Year (I thought it was a waste of time that could now have seen me entering my final year in school) so I had a year and a bit worth of a break. I'm bored, irritated and if it weren't for my hobbies, I would probably have forgotten why x is so relevant to maths :rolleyes:.

Any who, I'm looking forward to fifth year. I will enjoy the whole aspect of an actual regimented curriculum as opposed to sitting around in a disorganised classroom with nothing to do but draw pictures (true story).

I'll talk t'ye over the next two or so years :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Anyone know where to get 'Applied Mathematics A Comprehensive Course for Leaving Certificate' by Dominick Donnelly - Tir Na Nog Publications. Cant find it anywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

decisions wrote: »
    Anyone know where to get 'Applied Mathematics A Comprehensive Course for Leaving Certificate' by Dominick Donnelly - Tir Na Nog Publications. Cant find it anywhere...

I got it but I rang Dominick up himself and sent a cheque and he sent the book on to me. He said there were shops that stock it but there was nowhere near me.

I'll have a look and see if I can find his number for you but in the meantime if you google him you should find him 'cause he's a Fine Gael counselor in Cork or something like that.

:)

• Advertisement

decisions wrote: »

This website does it: schoolbooks.ie and here is a direct link

http://www.schoolbooks.ie/524760-Applied+Mathematics+-+A+Comprehensive+Course+for+Leaving+Certificate+Various+Publishers+School+Book

As far as I know they deliver within 3 or 4 days... not sure of the delivery charge -- i think its around 3.50 ? Its on the website anyway!!! I also think that schoolbooks.ie have a shop as well so you could also check that out if you don't want to get it delivered. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

So lawds, not to long to wait now..

I retract my earlier statement tho, Imma miss summer, a lot :/

deise_girl wrote: »
    So lawds, not to long to wait now..

I retract my earlier statement tho, Imma miss summer, a lot :/

Me too. I'm going to miss Summer too...but I still am kind of looking forward to going back. One week from tomorrow for me. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Me too. I'm going to miss Summer too...but I still am kind of looking forward to going back. One week from tomorrow for me. :)

Same! Well I go back the Monday for introduction day for a few hours but then I act start the Tuesday, like im a little looking forward, but not as much as I was!

deise_girl wrote: »

Same! Well I go back the Monday for introduction day for a few hours but then I act start the Tuesday, like im a little looking forward, but not as much as I was!

I'm only in for like 2 hours on Monday, then I am back properly on Tuesday too. The only thing I am really dreading is the homework for the first week because last years fifth years in my school said that the teachers like to give us a huge shock after TY so I just hope they dont give us hours of homework!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I'm only in for like 2 hours on Monday, then I am back properly on Tuesday too. The only thing I am really dreading is the homework for the first week because last years fifth years in my school said that the teachers like to give us a huge shock after TY so I just hope they dont give us hours of homework!
    I'm in for introductions on Monday, half-day Tuesday, slightly longer day Wednesday, full day Thursday. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I start Wednesday the 31st.. 10 days :O I was actually looking forward to going back but then we got our calendar the other day.. actually quite depressing! :p We only have 2 days off the whole year and they're bank holidays! :(
    Going to have to start getting up early and going to bed at a reasonable hour :/ Oh the joys.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I'm in for introductions on Monday, half-day Tuesday, slightly longer day Wednesday, full day Thursday. :eek:
    At least you have a few days until you have a full day. We're being thrown straight in to a full day as soon as we go back on Monday. We probably won't do very much though it'll mostly be sorting out timetables, classes and rooms for each class and other stuff like that but still....I can see it killing me. And we have to go in Friday morning to pay our "voluntary contribution" which you actually have to pay or else they won't give you a locker. I'm still trying to figure out if we're allowed to bring books and stuff in because they're supposed to be assigning our lockers to us then............

In short, I think the next Monday will kill me and I'm starting to miss summer already.:(

I'm in from 10:30am until 3:40pm on Tuesday 30th, then full day on Wednesday. Tuesday won't be too bad, just getting put into base classes, then checking the class schedule for my classes, getting my locker, meeting the first year I'm mentoring and stuff like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

5th year is going to be hard.. looking the the points for Medicine this year.. 729 is the lowest for NUIG :O Damn TY and it's no work :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement