Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TheHollowMaze

Yeah and science in ucd is up to 445 I think :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Speaking of medicine, http://www.independent.ie/education/latest-news/medicine-points-still-out-of-reach-as-aptitude-test-deemed-a-failure-2854097.html

Never liked the idea of the HPAT much anyway but bleh, looks like our year might be one of, if not the first, to test a new way of doing things and I'm not sure I like that either.

Although in two years I'll probably want to do Ag Science or something in college anyway. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Slow Show wrote: »
    Speaking of medicine, http://www.independent.ie/education/latest-news/medicine-points-still-out-of-reach-as-aptitude-test-deemed-a-failure-2854097.html

Never liked the idea of the HPAT much anyway but bleh, looks like our year might be one of, if not the first, to test a new way of doing things and I'm not sure I like that either.

Although in two years I'll probably want to do Ag Science or something in college anyway. :p

Medicine is the only thin I want to do. I don't know what to think of the Hpat really, I've signed up for a prep course so it'll be a waste of money if it's scrapped by 2013. Anyone know for how many years it was a trial run?

Medicine is the only thin I want to do. I don't know what to think of the Hpat really, I've signed up for a prep course so it'll be a waste of money if it's scrapped by 2013. Anyone know for how many years it was a trial run?

Three, it was meant to be re-evaluated this year. I think I remember reading that there's a date, vague or not, set out for the 2012 one. No word on 2013 yet though. I dunno, I'd like to do it but there's a lot more I could do with my life too so we'll see. I really don't know what I'd prefer... continuous HPAT points inflation (which is necessary for the sake of the system) or having to get the near-perfect LC score.

Or I'll go for my previous English and Psychology plan. Ah yes, that does sound nice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

Well, seeing as the summer is nearly over and 5th year is just about to begin. I thought I'd properly introduce myself :P I've been creeping on the JC boards for far too long and adding my inconsistent responses to the random topics there :D I just did the aul' JC there and I'll be getting my results shortly. So I hope I'll be posting here for quite some time to come. Aaaaaanyway, Introduction time :cool:

I'm Fionn. I'm 16. Love to swim and anything water related tbh. I think I wanna do medicine after the aul' LC(well that's what I'll aim towards anyway) or maybe Pharmacy. Who knows...

Jaysus lads, 5th year is gonna be some trek :(

Right, who's next to introduce themselves in this fashion?!:p

• Advertisement

Pretty sure I've introduced myself already but I'll do it for the craic ;)
    I'm 15 and yeh that's pretty much it :p Don't want to give my name out... I'm doing French, Chemistry, Biology and Accounting and Medicine is the only thing I want to do :D Going to make an effort to reply to this thread instead of random replies here and there :)

Ah yeah, we'll have to do better than last years 5th years anyway :D Medicine is the only thing that interests me so far, Business and Computers and Humanities bore the ****é outta me. I must try to post on this more often.
    I've heard the accounting book is like 1000 pages long(slight exaggeration ;D). Is the rumour true? 0_o

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

I guess I'll introduce myself also...:)
    My name's James, I'm 15 and I am also awaiting my JC results. I play Gaelic for my local club, enjoy swimming, playing PS3 and Astronomy! I hope to do Computer Applications in DCU because I love everything about computers and I'm very talented with them. I'm studying Physics, Ag Science, Business and Engineering for the LC.

That's all I can think of for now! I noticed there is a lot of people aiming to do medicine in uni, looks like there's going to be a load of high-achievers! Keep it up guys!;)

Ah yeah, we'll have to do better than last years 5th years anyway :D Medicine is the only thing that interests me so far, Business and Computers and Humanities bore the ****é outta me. I must try to post on this more often.
    I've heard the accounting book is like 1000 pages long(slight exaggeration ;D). Is the rumour true? 0_o
    452 to be exact :p

Anyone know what the new Project Maths book (honours) looks like? I won't see mine 'till the first day since we rent our books.. Does it look manageable/hard etc.? I love maths but I hope this new course doesn't ruin it for me.:(

Also, what subject are you most looking forward to and least looking forward to? For me, I'd say I'm looking forward to Physics because it's so interesting but I'm dreading English because of the enormous of amount of writing honours students get for homework.. In 6th year, one of the teachers in our school was giving 8 A4's a night!:eek: And no, I'm not lying it's actually true.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MWick94

DarkDusk wrote: »
    Anyone know what the new Project Maths book (honours) looks like? I won't see mine 'till the first day since we rent our books.. Does it look manageable/hard etc.? I love maths but I hope this new course doesn't ruin it for me.:(

Also, what subject are you most looking forward to and least looking forward to? For me, I'd say I'm looking forward to Physics because it's so interesting but I'm dreading English because of the enormous of amount of writing honours students get for homework.. In 6th year, one of the teachers in our school was giving 8 A4's a night!:eek: And no, I'm not lying it's actually true.:(

My school hasn't even picked the new maths book yet!

Looking forward to Spanish and Biology.
    Absolutely dreading English and Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

With a lot more people looking into the IT field the demand for Computer Applications will be huge wont it ! Really hope I get to do it, it's all I'm looking forward to doing after school :D

452 to be exact :p

Ah only 648 pages off, Close enough :P
    I wanted to do accounting, but it was on the same line as chemistry, so that was the end of that D:

On the topic of dreading subjects,

I'm dreading English D:
    Won't mind doing Biology, Chemistry and App. Maths :D

MGMTea wrote: »
    With a lot more people looking into the IT field the demand for Computer Applications will be huge wont it ! Really hope I get to do it, it's all I'm looking forward to doing after school :D

Same here!;) I really wish I could study something computing-based or programming for the LC. It's a skill we need to use nearly everyday and still there isn't a subject for it.. Even if they put some programming into LCVP I'd be happy, it'll probably never happen though.:(

Same here!;) I really wish I could study something computing-based or programming for the LC. It's a skill we need to use nearly everyday and still there isn't a subject for it.. Even if they put some programming into LCVP I'd be happy, it'll probably never happen though.:(

I've heard they're bringing in a subject like that in a few years. They're gonna call it ICT 0_0 Sounds pretty interesting, I've always wanted to be able to code :P

I've heard they're bringing in a subject like that in a few years. They're gonna call it ICT 0_0 Sounds pretty interesting, I've always wanted to be able to code :P

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. If you want to start out some coding, and I really think you should, have a look here. This guy makes tutorial videos for loads of different programming languages and he is the best out there tbh. Python is the most suitable language to start off with and is great for finding out if you'll enjoy coding or not. If you decide to give it a go, please PM me and let me know what you think and if you need any hints I'd be glad to help.;)

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. If you want to start out some coding, and I really think you should, have a look here. This guy makes tutorial videos for loads of different programming languages and he is the best out there tbh. Python is the most suitable language to start off with and is great for finding out if you'll enjoy coding or not. If you decide to give it a go, please PM me and let me know what you think and if you need any hints I'd be glad to help.;)

Shur I'll have a look at it , and I'll give you my feedback when I'm done. :D

Shur I'll have a look at it , and I'll give you my feedback when I'm done. :D

Grand, enjoy!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

If the book ye're using is Active Maths, then I doubt you'll be seeing it on the first day because I've gone into the bookshop 2 or 3 times looking for it and first we were told that they'd be printed by mid-August but at the end of last week we were told that they were still being printed and wouldn't be ready until some time in September.....

But anywho on the subject of introductions .......I may as well seeing as I plan on turning this into the new version of the JC '10 Off Topic (although I don't think that can ever be replaced :():
    I'm Aine, 16, finished TY and don't have the slightest clue as to what I want to do after secondary school, all I've managed to figure out is that I'm not going medicine or going anywhere near a hospital which is the complete opposite to alot of people here.....but moving swiftly along.....I don't really know what else to say right now soooo........

Completely agree ! I've been teaching myself to code, every school should do it tho !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

Anyone from Boyne Community School, Trim here? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

sganyfx wrote: »
    Anyone from Boyne Community School, Trim here? :P

Be careful about giving out your school and address!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

Be careful about giving out your school and address!

I can run fast ^_^

But anywho on the subject of introductions .......I may as well seeing as I plan on turning this into the new version of the JC '10 Off Topic (although I don't think that can ever be replaced :():
    I'm Aine, 16, finished TY and don't have the slightest clue as to what I want to do after secondary school, all I've managed to figure out is that I'm not going medicine or going anywhere near a hospital which is the complete opposite to alot of people here.....but moving swiftly along.....I don't really know what else to say right now soooo........

We're in the same year now. :D I used to be so jealous of the JC 2010 Off-Topic Thread, now suddenly I'm being accepted into the clique (Well, I hope so). :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

We're in the same year now. :D I used to be so jealous of the JC 2010 Off-Topic Thread, now suddenly I'm being accepted into the clique (Well, I hope so). :p

Ditto :D

Jealous of a thread o_0

Cooooool.

Only 5 more days of freedom...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

MWick94 wrote: »

Nooooooooooooo... :eek:

pah i'm back tomorrow, at 3pm tho. Hope they let us off on Friday sure t'is no point of starting school near the weekend ;)

• Advertisement

MGMTea wrote: »

pah i'm back tomorrow, at 3pm tho. Hope they let us off on Friday sure t'is no point of starting school near the weekend ;)

Tomorrow?! Jeez, the debs is on tomorrow for my school, then the first years are back on Friday!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement