Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different Modem's Report Different Attenuation

• 01-06-2011 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi

Been on 1Mb DSL with Vodafone for 18 months and all was well until a week ago , Speed dropped back to Dial up Like and Modem was syncing @ 160 kb , I replaced my Cable & Wireless DSL Router with an Eircom Zyxel Modem and no difference.
    I logged a call and on Monday my "New" Eircom Router started Syncing at 1024 again , But since Monday I have had numerous disconnects ,
    I have switched back to the Cable & Wireless DSL Router and things seem to have settled again at 1024 ,

However the Eircom Modem reported my Down Stream Attenuation as 63db but the Cable & Wireless reports it as 46db , Which is correct and would I have any chance of reaching 2Mb as that sort of an increase would be great.

Thanks for reading and let me know whaat you think.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Could you swap the Zyxel in briefly, and use the same cables and filters that are being used for the C&W modem? I'd like to see it double-checked just to rule out other unlikely or bizarre possibilities. You can plug the C&W back in when you get the attenuation and signal margin values from the Zyxel modem.

Where did you get the Zyxel modem from or at least do you know how old it is? How old is the C&W modem btw? I didn't know Cable and Wireless even made customer premises equipment.

Advertisement