Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating problems

• 01-06-2011 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

I have an old system in house

and soem radiators are on full with heat others are barely warm

i only have one heating gauge for setting temperature and my other prob is i cant turn the radiator handles on radiators and any i do turn make no difference

any clues

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

Yep, you need to bleed them. There will be an ajustable screw on the top of the radiator at the side, Turn them anticlockwise untill a tiny bit of water comes out(have a cloth or towel ready) u will need a rad bleeding tool) cost €2 in hardware but there are a few different versions(square, triangle, flathead etc) so get the right one for your rad. If your unsure look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGinKwkrQsw

If that doesn't work then you may be air locked or your boiler may need to be checked (check your boiler pressure is at the right bar, mines supposed to be 2 bar). Could also be valves in hot-press that need adjusting but cant really say from here. Try the bleed method and if thats not working then process of elimination will follow.;)

Edit>> take off the rad handles via screw at top and wd40 them to loosen then 3in1 oil them, this should help with turning them. If some are tuning constantly them the knob may be nackered. Take off and bring 1 to a decent hardware or preferably plumbing suppliers for cheap replacement. Turn thermostat up full

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

Get a plumber in. The system seems to be in need of balancing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

the wheel heads are probably broke inside the plastic and when turning its not gripping, take them off and use plyers. for the ones that are jammed using plyers once or twice should loosen them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

As Sparkpea says take off the heads and adjust the valves to balance the system, if the valves are seized it may be worth replacing them with thermostatic rad valves.

Advertisement