Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd wifi router (DHCP off) is not able to hand out IP address from Main Router

Options
  • 01-06-2011 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I had a thread here a few months ago and eventually i got network cable through to the house next door.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056202095

Any hows the wifi is working fine once everything is connected up. A second wifi router has DHCP turned off so the first wifi router is the only device giving out IP Addresses.
    161359.png
    If I at any stage plug out 1 or 2 of the first 2 switches the wifi is not able to let any device connect. Once i plug out the 3rd switch and 2nd wifi router I can get the device to connect again. its a bit of a pain as the house is rented and if the power is cut then the 2nd wifi router will not be able to hand out ip addresses again until i plug it out and in again.

Any ideas how to resolve this so as that the 2nd router hands out IP addresses no matter what has happened before that and everything is linking up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Well you've totally confused me there with all the plugging in and out! On the 2nd router, make sure that the cable from the switch connects to a LAN port on the 2nd router and not the WAN port.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

haha, bit confusing alright!
    I have done that alright, its plugged into the LAN port of the 2nd wifi router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If theres an option to turn off nat, turn it off, and firewall

Also make sure both routers aren't the same ip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

ok, turned off the firewall on the 2nd router and then NAT which changed the ip from 192.168.2.254 which i could then access.
    the main router ip is .1

So to test what I was saying earlier I plugged out the network cable from the main router to the 1st switch and back in again. I can still access the Admin page of the 2nd router.... many thanks PogMoThoin. issue resolved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Yeah, I've seen this before, some routers force nat (meaning its trying to route everything out through the disused wan port). You gotta disable it to get it working as an access point. There's no need for a firewall when the main gateway router has active firewall

• Advertisement
Advertisement