Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Fruit in Smithfield

Options
  • 01-06-2011 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

My teenagers eat so much fruit. I want to encourage it but it so expensive. Apples, oranges and bananas. Does anyone know if it is possible for ordinary person to but a box of apples or oranges at the fruit market in Smithfield. How much would it cost? How many apples/oranges in a box. How long would they last?

Any advice would be welcome or any other solutions?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Bugsyboy1 wrote: »
    My teenagers eat so much fruit. I want to encourage it but it so expensive. Apples, oranges and bananas. Does anyone know if it is possible for ordinary person to but a box of apples or oranges at the fruit market in Smithfield. How much would it cost? How many apples/oranges in a box. How long would they last?

Any advice would be welcome or any other solutions?
    Thanks

Guideline prices are here

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/agri-foodindustry/tradeexports/dublinwholesalemarketprices/

Mainly caters to trade but cash is cash so anyone can buy, but in case quantity. Haven't delivered to the market in a while but if I remember correctly trading kicks off at 5am to Mid day usually. Oranges and apples will store well but fruit such as bananas(12.7kg box) usually would have a shelflife of two days. Its to do with the ripening process in the banana.

Case count in apples and oranges depend on the sizing grade of the fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Bugsyboy1

Thanks for the reply. Where is a good place to go? Anybody not in the business do this?

Cheers
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Bugsyboy1

Made my way down to Smithfield on Saturday morning. It was a lot easier than I expected to figure it all out. Cash is cash! To make it work I'll need a few other families to split the fruit and veg up with but it's definitely a runner. Less than half price roughly. Want to do the same thing with meat (chicken and minced meat) if I can a find a bulk source.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MovieFest

They're changing the Fruit & Veg market in the next few months to allow it to be more accessible to the public.

This article in the Irish Times has more information
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0802/1224301719515.html

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭castlewhite

Hi
    to give an idea of price, Oranges, class 1 valencias from south africa are 14.00 case 60 medium oranges in a box. This size is suitable for all purposes, peeling cutting, juuicing. There are Small oranges very good for juicing, best from Brazil at the moment, not pretty to look at, but lots of juice.

Apples, so many varieties, everybody has their personal favorite. my favorite is the Cox, season just started, around 14 for a box, 13kg . If you want something that will last a few weeks (in garage or other cool dark place) try french Royal Gala or Granny Smith. Avoid Golden Deli until later in the year. Class 1 Royal Gala 20.00 for 100

If going on Saturday, Market opening hours are 6am to 11am although a few traders on the outside stay open till 12noon (and open earlier)

• Advertisement
Advertisement