Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass display case for models.

Options
  • 01-06-2011 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

A friend of mine has just finished a two year project of building the HMS Victory model. Looks fantastic and finished well, he has also visited the actual HMS in the UK and has bought some books, blueprints ect

He now wants to display the lot in a glass cabinet , possibly with underneath shelves for the books and blueprints and an inside light to showcase his newest achievement...

Problem is he cant find anything suitable for it, Anyone of have any info or experience of display cases and where bouts u can get them..

He got a quote of a glass works factory to have one built but it was like 400 squids.. a tad on the pricy side.. Surely there is a more affordable solution??

PS Measurements for display case needed are as follows : height 100cm , with 150cm, depth 60cm

If someone even had a second hand one for sale it he would be tempted to buy it , if was correct size of course..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭mk1esc

can he afford to get one custome made to suit his requirements....my brother is a carpenter and he would make one up no probs for him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭noeleoreid

mk1esc wrote: »
    can he afford to get one custome made to suit his requirements....my brother is a carpenter and he would make one up no probs for him :D

Im not sure its a Carpenter he needs? Its a glass case he wants , forgot to mention as well it needs to be an open top lid as if it has struts or brackets or doors at the front of the case, it will take away from the features of the boat.

Ideally , plain glass front to above mentioned dimensions..

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

sure he could make it himself just buy the glass might need the tough stuf use the glue they use for fist tanks and make up 8 of these to go on the corners to hold it together and square then make a top with a rebate in it to take glass and the same for the bottom can then put a led light in top and make a base for it ya i know it will be big as i am at the same ship meself

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

an old fish tank turned upside down could be an option perhaps.

Take a look at the ad pages in the back of a modelling magazine, the railway ones I get often have ads for people who build glass or plastic cases, may be able to find something suitable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭noeleoreid

Thanks for the suggestions lads, I will pass on to him. If any more come to mind in the meantime, throw them up on this thread , cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement